Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Student Bank Accounts
  • spence
    Free Member

My daughter could do with a bank account and with her hopefully starting uni this autumn we’re thinking of a student account. So any thoughts on who’s best and who to avoid?

Only thought so far is to avoid anyone who took taxpayers money.

Ta.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They're all much of a muchness, railcards are usualy better than cash, even if only used occasionaly.

Despite what they tell you there are very few checks made on whether you have more than one account, but best avoid having 2 with the same bank (Hallifax and BOS etc). Just transfer in the £1500 loan per term from one bank to another to make sure they all get used. If yoru crap with money like my housemate then setup a DD from one account to the other with living allowance every week/month, and DD the rent from it as well. Then hide that card and just use the other account so you only need to budget weekly/monthly.

You'd be better off comparing the graduate accounts they transfer to after you graduate, all depends on how quickly they want you to pay back your overdraft or if you intend to even have one.

I just went with HSBC and got a 5 year railcard, but that was nearly 6 years ago now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had a HSBC account, also got a railcard which saved me a shit load of cash (think it was about 1/3 off rail fares), it was eithere a railcard or £50. Think i had a £1000 or £1200 overdraft aswell.

Dont really take any interest in banking n that, I just went with HSBC cos there was a branch on the campus.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

My daughter got a Nat West one, very small print that says to get the Free Railcard you need to activate the online bit

She just uses it as a normal account with debit card and chequebook

Sod the railcard, if Barclays head of security won't use online banking that;s good enough advice for me

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The railcard is the reason to open a student account, I think its 4 years as well. Well worth getting

ianpinder
    Free Member

Its much easier to base the student account on which bank is on campus as they are all much of a muchness, I had hsbc, natwest and rbs paid of the natwest and hsbc one now and just have a grad account with rbs.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The railcard is the reason to open a student account, I think its 4 years as well. Well worth getting

They are not exactly expensive (65 quid for three years) and hardly worth compromising security for, would rather give my youngster the cash to buy one if required

thomthumb
    Free Member

hardly worth compromising security for

maybe they'll swap the railcard for a tinfoil hat!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mine was a 5 year rail card which was pretty handy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Student Bank Accounts’ is closed to new replies.