Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stuck seatpost
  • dallas95
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend somewhere for me to take my frame to have the seatpost removed. It is a steel frame with an alloy seatpost and has been resprayed by the previous owner. He didn’t remove the seatpost before the respray which suggests it was already seized. The paint will probably have run down the inside of the seat tube as well. I’m in west yorkshire so if anyone can recommend somewhere for me to take it I would appreciate it.

cheers,
    d95.

carlosg
    Free Member

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

I had this problem a few years back with my P7 ended up cutting the post down to about 2″ above the seatclamp and using a hacksaw blade to cut grooves on the inside then peeling the bits away from the seat tube.

**** nightmare it was , I now use a plastic shim so it won’t happen again.

If you’re anywhere near Leeds try Bob Jacksons or Woodrups.

dallas95
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply Carlos. I’ll phone those on Monday and see what they think. I read Sheldon and it all looks a bit tricky, chemicals and cutting etc. so that’s why I thought I might leave it to the professionals.

mauja
    Free Member

Maybe not that local for you but Argos Racing Cycles sorted mine out for me, think it was £35 quid for an aluminium seatpost in a carbon frame. Can’t recommend them enough, really helpful on the phone and quick turnaround with no damage to the frame or post.

Argos Racing Cycles

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have heard of people making a sort of funnel around the top of the seat tube from plastacine then pouring loads of WD40 or plusgas in the funnel and leaving it to soak overnight. Heating the seat tube with a hot air gun or pouring boiling water over it will help. Try taking the sadle off and clamping the post in a vice and work the frame off the post.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I snapped a post clean off where it exited the frame once – used the hacksaw method to cut fillets hen tapped the top of each one inward and pulled them out. Took ages but worked fine

tonyplym
    Free Member

Also worth a try is a pneumatic chipping hammer like this – apply to the seatpost clamp (put a block of metal between the tool and the seatpost to reduce risk of damage) and you might find that the rapid blows get things moving. Set the compressor’s air pressure low to start with; you can always increase the pressure (and thus the force/frequency of the blows) if you find you need to be a bit more robust.

KonaTC

Try soaking it with plus-gas or similar before resorting to hacksaws or big hammers

Make a funnel out of children’s plastercine around the frame/seat post fill with plus-gas and leave for a couple of days, then clamping the seat post in vice, use the frame as the lever to twist free

crikey
    Free Member

There are a number of ever more destructive methods; try grabbing the post in a vice and turning the frame, or just cut it out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stuck seatpost’ is closed to new replies.