Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stuck Carbon Post
  • STATO
    Free Member

Ok, so the seatpost in my road bike has always been very stiff and the clamp at the top has started to crack so i thought id replace it. Pulled out the old 27.2mm post and tried to fit a new one, no luck, cant get it more than an 1″ in before it locks solid and ive tried 3 different ones now.

Any tips? already measured the old one with calipers and its deffo 27.2mm, but the surface is pretty scuffed up so think thats why the new shiny ones are sticking.

BadlyWiredDog

Well, you could either clean up the inside of the seat tube or reduce the diameter of the post… One of these options makes sense…. 😉

STATO
    Free Member

seat tube is carbon and smooth as a babies bum. And surprisingly i dont fancy sanding down my carbon post, A. for aesthetic reasons, B. So i dont get carbon shards up my… 😯

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Might be worth trying something designed for the job, like this?

Good luck. I had to cut a very nice Easton CT2 post once to get it out of a steel frame.

BadlyWiredDog

Are you saying that the surface of the old post is scuffed and that’s why it fits? I read it as the inside of the seat-post being rough. I guess logically then, the inside diameter of the seat -tube is slightly undersized, so you need to find some way of increasing the diameter slightly. Or get hold of come carbon-friendly grease and see if the reduced friction makes enough difference to get the seat post in. Scott do some.

STATO
    Free Member

Yeah, old seatpost is very matt finish from being adjusted over the years. Id not call it rough though.

The new post isnt stuck-in, i can only get it in an inch before it wont go any more. Not sure if greasing a already tight post is a good idea, worried it’ll never come out again!

Popping into LBS tonight for their tips but wondered if anyone else had come across the problem before.

walleater

Slap a load of carbon prep (sort of like grease but isn’t…) in there and try again. Assuming it goes in, yeah making sure it’ll come out again on a regular basis is probably a good idea!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stuck Carbon Post’ is closed to new replies.