Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • struggling to sleep when off the booze.
  • wolfrider
    Free Member

Hey guys.after realising I probably drink far too much my new years resolution is to cut it right down and only have a drink when I go out.i usually drink 4 or 5 cans of lager a day and haven’t touched a drop for 3 days the only problem im having is im realy struggling to sleep.has anybody else experienced this and if so does it get better and how did you combat it? Any advice would be appreciated.

properbikeco
    Free Member

do some exercise and get fresh air during the day

at night make sure you wind down by reading for 30mins or so before bed

kayak23

Yeah it will get better. 4 or 5 cans of lager will do zero to help you get quality sleep. Allow your body some time to re-adjust and hopefully you’ll soon have much better sleep.
    Get some excercise too, that helps loads.

matttromans
    Free Member

That’s normal, it’ll take a good few days for your body to re-adjust, but once it has you’ll sleep like the dead!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i find chocolate horlicks really good, a mug around 10-10.30pm and i’m generally nailed by 11.

also when i’m getting back out the habit of drinking and need a bit extra relaxation 10mins with a good book in bed also helps.

beyond that, and i apologize for sounding like everyone else, its just a case of changing your habits. for me the desire to have a drink does not diminish, but it does get easier not to. and i also count the pennies i’ve saved, from about 4 weeks on it gets scary when you start totting up.

Pieface

As above, it will get better after a couple more nights and you’ll sleep really well. You’ll wake up really fresh as well. In fact you get to the point where you don’t fancy a drink as you know it will ruin your sleep and give you a fuzzy head in the morning.

I find Horlicks is helpful, however this could be entirely psychosematic as its associated with a new routine.

Exercise helps as well.

One thing I do is tell myself a story in my head and make it up as I go along, eventually it turns to dreams.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Hot bath & horlicks.

growinglad
    Free Member

Firstly well done…As a bloke who likes beer and who knows I have a habit of enjoying it a tad too much I can tell you, you’ve done the right thing…nice to have a drink from time to time, but 4-5 every day is getting a bit much.

I made the same decision a while back and have cut back quite a bit, stick with it and you’ll suddenly find you sleep like a log and wake up feeling refreshed.

Nice shower, horlicks/ovaltine and good book, just need to train your body/mind into a routine…

….I’ve got to such a Jedi state now I struggle to read 3-4 pages before the ol nodding dog takes hold!

Stick with it!

derek_starship
    Free Member

wolfrider – Google alcohol and anxiety. All your questions will be answered.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I get the same when I have a night off the sauce. Mind you when I went into hospital and they asked how much I drank they offered me medication to cope with the withdrawals 🙁 Fortunately I survived without

binners

Has nobody mentioned bedroom gymnastics yet?

This place is going to the dogs 🙄

DrP

Binners, read the posts….

..a mug around 10-10.30pm and i’m a[s]ge[/s]n[s]er[/s]ally [b]nailed [/b]by 11.

Satisfied?

DrP

growinglad
    Free Member

Has nobody mentioned bedroom gymnastics yet?

This place is going to the dogs

I’ve just realised a few years ago that would have been my first answer, now 10 or so years on, with 3 kids….I do love a nice Ovaltine!

wolfrider
    Free Member

Trust me mrs wolf wouldnt appreciate being woke up at 3 in the morning lol.

binners

Surely every loving partner appreciates the fun-sized mars bar in the back routine, in the early hours? 😉

yunki
    Free Member

lots of extra exercise..

if that doesn’t work, have some kids – you will soon be struggling to stay awake..

DrP

Surely every loving partner appreciates the fun-sized mars bar in the back routine, in the early hours?

What time was that cashpoint photo of you and Hora taken, out of interest…

DrP

solarpowered
    Free Member

I believe it comes down to creating the atmosphere before bed as has been mentioned above. Take time to unwind before bed – reading, hot milk, cosy bath, sex etc… Lavander also helps – I know it’s a bit ‘girlie’ but it may be worth a try! You can get this essential oil from any health food shop. Few drops on your pillow is all that’s needed.
    Stick with it! It’s sooooo worth it!

toby1

Replaced beer with tea, coffee, coke, red bull?

Usually people switch one thing out for another so take a look at your inputs and appreciate that you are going through some chemical changes in your system.

nedrapier

After a long time of regular drinking, your body will probably be producing a load of stuff in advance in order to deal with the alcohol.

3 days in won’t be enough time for your body to twig that that extra stuff’s not necessary.

Stick with it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘struggling to sleep when off the booze.’ is closed to new replies.