Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stripping paint off Boxxers (or other Rockshox)
  • Northwind

My worldcups are absolutely hammered, almost as much bare metal as there is paint… Surface is too bad to just spray over, and sanding back to the metal is a lot of work. But nitromors didn’t so much as dent it, and my wire wheel is too aggressive- it’s leaving scratches in the lowers! Any suggestions to save my arms from sanding hell?

takisawa2

Proper chemical strip but they would likely need new bushes afterwards. If the bushes are out you could get them powder coated also.

Northwind

Yeah, should have said DIY options only! Just going to be a hammerite-and-new-stickers job.

xiphon
    Free Member

See if you can get your hands on some older Nitromorse – didn’t they dilute it down, due to H&S concerns? To the point where it’s pretty rubbish now?

eyerideit
    Free Member

How about a heat gun?

Northwind

My old nitromors rusted through the can 🙁 New stuff seems very different. I’ve plastered them with it anyway just in case it softens it, you never know.

Heat gun… Good thinking, cheers!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I think for a decent looking job having the lowers dipped would be the way to go , for a real bodge it and scarper route how about a good clean/degrease and the sand for a key and fill in the chips withcar body filler and sand smooth?
    Then spray with plasticote black or white and new decals off ebay

breadcrumb

Vinyl wrap?

Or sticker bomb, wil luk wel wikid bra.

chief9000
    Free Member

Hello,

I’m not sure what your forks are made from, but I would be a little careful about using tripper on magnesium.

That is all.

Conan257
    Free Member

I did some revelations a year or so back…

Sand it down as smooth as you can, don’t worry about getting rid of all the paint.

Use car filler to fill in the dents/scratches.

Sand down flat and repeat till they’re smooth.

Start painting. I think I use 3 layers of undercoat, 3-5 layers of colour, and 3 layers of lacquer.

baznav73
    Free Member

Por 15 por strip from frost auto restoration will strip any coating from any surface, I use it to strip the silver paint off shimano bb cups before I anodize them and that is damn tough paint.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stripping paint off Boxxers (or other Rockshox)’ is closed to new replies.