Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stripped bottom bracket help
  • jonba
    Free Member

Just been to replace the (octalink) BB in my 456 because there was some play that developed last time I rode it.

Turns out it wasn’t the bearings but the bottom bracket has worked loose. The new one won’t tighten (spins freely even by hand) and a bit of investigations makes it look like the threads are stripped? They are still visible but there is an obvious rise if you slide your finger into the BB shell.

Any experience of this? Is it terminal or are there alternatives.

Don’t think chasing will work if the threads are part gone. I’m aware of the threadless bb saver things but do these actually work long term? Obviously the BB is octalink and all these are sq taper so at the least I’d be looking at a new chainset, money maybe better spent on a new frame…

Bit sad really as I quite liked the inbred, been with me for 6 years.

Northwind

It happens, but not often to steel frames… Does the new BB thread in easily?

jota180
    Free Member

jonba
    Free Member

Dead easily (no spanner just bb socket). Getting the old one out was hard though as it just spun freely. Needded to push from the non drive side to get any purchase.

jonba
    Free Member

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m13b199s110p3339

this type of thing but that means a new chainset.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

You could always try using JB Weld over the existing threads, leave for a couple of weeks to harden, then try cutting new threads in?

aidanoggy
    Free Member
    takisawa2

I had a steel frame with an Italian BB, LBS had it bored out to take a sleeve that was then tapped to take a British BB thread. Someone like Argos could probably sort it out for you.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You could try ‘gluing’ the BB in with one of the stronger Loctite products?

Loctite Product List

cynic-al
    Free Member

Framebuilders can cut a slot out of the BB shell, squeeze it, weld it shut, cut a new thread. I’d estimate £70+ painting.

I doubt loctite will work if you can spin it by hand.

julians
    Free Member

helicoil? http://www.helicoil.in/

dont know if they do a size suitable for a bottom bracket.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I would get someone to have a look at it with a tool to see what it ends up like after chasing the threads. You might be surprised.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if a chasing tool did anything, given he can spin it with his hands.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I doubt loctite will work if you can spin it by hand.

You’ve not seen the product list then? 😆

jonba
    Free Member

I would get someone to have a look at it with a tool to see what it ends up like after chasing the threads. You might be surprised.

as cynical says, I thought that and tried a few bb bits with longer threads to see if I could get purchase on anything deeper in the shell.

There’s nothing there.

It is a 6 year old 456. £200 gets me a new one to put costs of fixing in perspective.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Phone or e-mail Loctite, they may (well, very probably do) have a product that would suit. £10 maybe? £20?

fatone

BETD used to do a helicoil insertion – may not be cheap

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stripped bottom bracket help’ is closed to new replies.