Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Stray kitten – what to do?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

I took the dog out for her evening walk and a random guy asked me if I wanted a cat as one had been following him for a few streets.

It didn’t a collar on it and it looked a bit grubby and sorry for itself, so I rung Mrs Eye for advice and we brought it home. We’ve no idea how old it is (a couple of months – I think), the sex or if it’s had it’s jabs etc. We’ve fed it but it’s not poo’d or pee’d.

We can’t keep it as the dog will get well-jel and it turns out the RSPCA don’t collect healthy stray cats. So apart form putting lost notices up, what are our options? I’ll have walk around the neighbourhood and see if there’s any missing posters.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Welcome to the world of cat.

piemonster

You sure it’s not chipped?

molgrips
    Free Member

The dog will come to terms with it 🙂

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Sorry no help but you are a good person and I hope you get some positive karma back.

ElShalimo

google “kitler” and see if you can locate its proud owners

alfabus
    Free Member

We kept the kitten I found in Brechfa carpark… she was about 6 weeks old and in very good health – despite being soaked, filthy, covered in fleas and being stood next to her dead sibling.

Glad we kept her.

Take it to the vets and have it checked for a microchip. If they won’t take it off you, then either keep it or find someone to take it off you.

Dave

mintimperial

it turns out the RSPCA don’t collect healthy stray cats.

They’re not allowed to pick them up off the street as legally cats don’t have to be under control and can roam around freely. If they picked up every cat that was reported as being stray they’d end up snagging lots of family pets (and they’d have no space in their shelters).

Did you tell them it’s a kitten?

binners

Just get shut of the dog. Kittens are miles betterer! If you leave the kitten to its own devices, it’ll manage to get rid of the dog within a week 😀

deus

eeat or keep, it’s a dilema

joao3v16
    Free Member

Cat owns you now

john_drummer
    Free Member

You has been adopted

spooky_b329

Where are you? You might find a taker on here!

binners

alfabus – how is Brechfa? I remember that story

eyerideit … where are you based? My daughters and missus are both heavily hinting about another kitten, as company for our existing mad one, who looks remarkably similar

MrsToast
    Free Member

Daaaaaaaw. If you really can’t keep it, you could ask the Cats Protection League?

Also I’m getting a triple whammy of petspyjamas.com ads thanks to this thread. I don’t think my dog will thank you for that…

mogrim

The dog will get used to it, and welcome to the wonderful world of cat ownership. Despite their reputation, cats are very sociable animals, and nearly as good company as dogs.

Make sure it’s got somewhere to poo – anything it can bury its crap in, if you don’t get something it’ll do it under the bed / behind the sofa / etc.

FWIW adopted a kitten a few months back when previous cat died, then about a month later another kitten followed me and the dog home… So now have two cats 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

Don’t the council recycle them if you put them in the green bins? Sure I saw that somewhere…

You now own a cat. Get used to it.

alfabus
    Free Member

davidjones15
    Free Member

It’s not your decision to make.
    Cat now have you.

yunki
    Free Member

garlic and herb crust, potatoes dauphinoise, seasonal veg

Cougar

I spent a day on site at an RSCPA centre recently. By a very large margin, the vast majority of calls they took were “can you take a cat?” – “sorry, no, we’re full.” If that branch is in any way representative of them as a whole then you’ve got no chance with the RSPCA.

If you take it to the vet for a check-up then there’s a chance the RSPCA might pick up the tab, but they didn’t last time I tried. I’m not sure what their criteria is TBH.

bencooper
    Free Member

You could try wandering the streets, asking random strangers if they want a kitten. It worked for the last owner…

alfabus
    Free Member

alfabus – how is Brechfa? I remember that story

She is great… now nearly 6 months old. Not allowed out of the house until she’s been spayed (which should happen next month).

We’re supposed to be acclimatising her to the great outdoors, so we have to partake in the utter horror of taking her for walks on a lead. The shame!

I don’t have any recent pictures here, but I’ll sort some out to post tonight – she is massive compared to when we found her, but seriously active and very friendly.

Dave

footflaps

Keep it, you won’t regret it, cats are great – much more sociable than people give them credit for.

binners

cats are great – much more sociable than people give them credit for

Indeed. Our little sod was nuzzling my nose and purring like a Rolls Royce Merlin at 5 this morning

Pigface
    Free Member

Nice Beefy, good to show such humanity

StirlingCrispin

Do you have a local Cat Protection League?
    http://www.cats.org.uk/

PS: Keep it.

beefheart
    Free Member

good to show such humanity

You could probably get some cream for that.

mogrim

She is great… now nearly 6 months old. Not allowed out of the house until she’s been spayed (which should happen next month).

Why isn’t she allowed out? (I appreciate if she’s on heat you wouldn’t want her out, assuming that’s not the case…)?

eyerideit
    Free Member

This ones helping my type at the moment -it’s very cute and super friendly

Good shout about the Vets.

It looked too young to be out – that’s why we took it in – specially with all the nasty urban foxes around.

yunki – Member
    garlic and herb crust, potatoes dauphinoise, seasonal veg

Not much meat on this one – not worth the bother. be better off in the stock pot. 😉

@ Spooky & Binners

We’re in east London.

@ mintimperial

The RSPCA is all automated so I couldn’t speak to anyone – I was just told.

I’ve put it on our local freecycle – someone’s emailed and said they’ve seen a lost black and white cat poster. So they’re going to send me the number when they pass it next. – fingers crossed

acidchunks

Keep it or find a local animal sanctuary, there’s always plenty to be found near cities and towns.

binners

Why isn’t she allowed out?

I’d hazard a guess its because he doesn’t want to be faced with eyerideit’s present dilemma, times-ed by 4 or 5 😉

Glad to hear she’s doing well Alfabus. Cats are brilliant to have around the place

Twin
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

I’ve tried that trick with ours, but no one fell for it.

She follows the window cleaner on his rounds though, sitting at the bottom of his ladder, watching the idiot who thinks he can climb.
    Might see if he can find any takers.

binners

eyerideit – a bit too far for us to come and get him/her unfortunately.

I hope you get kitty back to their owner. If not: you kow you want to keep it? 😉

lazybike
    Free Member

We’ve been adopted by a stray ginger tom, he’s 4 months old, took him to the Celia Hammond Trust at canning town, they neuterd and chipped him gave him his jabs, he’s settled in really well, dog wasn’t sure at first he couldn’t decide wether to shag him or eat him, but they get on well now.

mintimperial

The RSPCA is all automated so I couldn’t speak to anyone – I was just told.

If you don’t have any luck with finding an owner, try getting a number for the nearest actual shelter and talking to someone there, or just drop round if it’s not too far away. They’re usually very helpful, and if you explain that you have a kitten on your hands I’m sure they’ll sort you out.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Drown it.

In love and affection obviously. 🙂

orangina
    Free Member

Take it to the vets to get checked out and to be checked for a chip. If it’s not chipped keep it ! As was said before, cats are ace! The dog will be put in his place no probs.
    If you don’t want to keep it, bring it to a local cat shelter, they will look after it.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Give the poor little blighter a home.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Stray kitten – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.