Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Strava auto pause
  • jk1980
    Free Member

I’m a bit new to strava and just wondering if I should have auto pause on or off? I went out for a ride for about 1 hour 40 yesterday to find that strava on my phone has logged my ride as 1 hour 24, due to pauses. I was hoping to use strava to log how long Id been out for a ride and strava is showing that I was out on the bike for a shorter time than I actually was.

So I’m thinking of turning auto pause off, are there any negatives to doing that?

frogstomp

Not sure it shows it on the app, but on the website you get both moving time and total elapsed time displayed.

z1ppy

As per Froggy, so your “1hr24” is the moving time… are you sure you rode 100% of that 1hr 40? Surprising how long it takes to pee/chat/get thru gates, it all adds up.

markshires
    Free Member

The android app doesn’t show the elapsed time, but it is visible on the Web site.

stanleigh
    Free Member

I didn’t know auto pause was optional.

I like the system , sometimes surprising how much time I don’t move.

As above moving time & elapsed time both come up on the web site.

Also check your profile , that will also keep track of all your elapsed time as well as all your actual moving time.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Strava work it all out for you so you don’t need auto pause. Their own app doesn’t offer it anyway deliberately because they do it on the server side.

If you use another app or device and use auto pause it will log on Strava the same moving time as actual time, so you lose the ability to distinguish.

I had major issues a few years back when I was using other apps like Endomondo and Sports Tracker on my old Nokia phone and had Auto Pause enabled, then uploaded the GPX to Strava. It would get confused on climbs and while the phone paused when I was too slow or even stopped, Strava gave me KOMs saying I did the climb in 10seconds! I ended up with loads of flagged rides until I turned off auto pause.

The only real argument for using auto pause I see is that it’s useful to give you the actual moving time for the whole ride, but Strava and I think other sites now work out the moving vs stopped anyway.

When it comes to Strava segments, personally I feel it should never be paused. If you did the segment in 5 minutes, but 4 of those you were stopped, then you did it in 5 minutes, not 1.

Strongest arguments I see for using it seems to come from roadies who don’t like including traffic light stops.

I can understand cake stops, but you can manually pause, or just not bother and let Strava work it out anyway.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, good to know that I can get the total elapsed on the website and good to know the pros/cons

oldgit
    Free Member

Hit the button that gives you the fastest time on your data readout.

No one want’s to know you stopped for a breather mid ride.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Strava auto pause’ is closed to new replies.