Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Strathpuffer Updates
  • Harry_the_Spider

1. Terrahawk
    2. Phil
    3. Gronk

6. Twinklydave

12. Budge

Epic stuff!

The Cooksons boys have just been interviewed by the BBC. This particular episode of The Adventure Show is going that have a very North West feel to it.

Harry_the_Spider

Twinklydave out. Rode off a bridge and squashed himself. 😐

He’s alive and tweeting from the pits.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Muppet . Get angela to get him going with a restoritive cup of tea

munrobiker
    Free Member

Props to The Bike Shop Hexham/2 Pure chugging along in 3rd in pairs.

Murr
    Free Member

well done the fifers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

24 minutes between first and third after 13 hours and 17 laps, it’ll go down to the wire.

shaggy

Not necessary. The race is only just starting…

rustybike
    Free Member

Anybody else loving how the team with the most laps is actually a pair??

GO Team Cooksons Cycles!! and thanks for petrol last year 😉

Harry_the_Spider

2 1/2 hours to go.

Solo

1st Phil Simcock
    2nd Ewan Gronkowski
    3rd Luke Morris

6th Jason Miles

15th Andrew Bugress

Overall (and leading Pairs by 3 laps)

Cookson Cycles

From Twitter it looks like Jason has had some time in the pits but got bored and went back out again and Dave is sleeping off his injuries.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Gronk, 23 laps – 21 hours in, our man is 20 minutes down in second. His last couple of laps have clawed back about fifteen minutes. For a first timer in any endurance race that is good going.

Single ladies are flying too. Go Mona, Go Jo!

Harry_the_Spider

Tweet from @oneblackdot running 4th in pairs.

Freehub went kaputt on that lap, along with any chances of catching 3rd (don’t think we would have anyway Guy Martin is on it!)[/i]

swiss01
    Free Member

absorbing battle between jo and kate – well done the both of you!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

must have been tough i the night for some – that one heck of a lot of laps the top teams have done

swiss01
    Free Member

yes, i look at those totals and it makes me even more depressed about my previous performances!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

that one heck of a lot of laps the top teams have done

Top team are all under 15!

In case it comes up as a Trivial Pursuit question. What is the record for solo laps? Who was the rider?

swiss01
    Free Member

it wisnae me!

sheikinvac
    Free Member

Well done to all who took part. We were up to watch and take photos for a while in the afternoon/evening.A few video a and stills here

Harry_the_Spider

1st for Phil and for Cooksons!

Top effort from everyone.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done Drew T! 6th – awesome!.

Diane
    Free Member

Nice footage Mrs Hoover

munrobiker
    Free Member

Props to Huw Oliver and Ollie Young in 2nd in the Pairs- 31 laps, that’s more than Cooksons won with last year. Either they were going at it like the clappers or the weather was better. Anything over the magic 24 laps in an hour is astounding.

Innes
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r7VCqkIBmo&feature=g-upl&context=G2dcd3ddAUAAAAAAAAAA[/video]

meanredspider
    Free Member

Well done to all my fellow competitors – awesome fitness, skills and commitment. My first-ever MTB event (at 47) which I only found out I was doing a week ago when a (so-called) friend pulled out of a quad with an injury. My total lack of MTB skills told a bit but I loved (almost) every minute of it. No injuries or damage – result.

Innes
    Free Member

Would you do it again?

I did the Puffer a few years ago and we had quite good weather, if you could be sure of weather like this week-end, I think I would do it again, but if we had weather like the last two winters then forget it.

It was great to have a walk round the course yesterday, the Puffer has a really good atmosphere.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Very ‘clement’ weather in terms of mildness and lack of precipitation. Ground wetness made bitsof the course cut up quite badly. The potholes of slurry/gravel that appeared on the fast descent took me by surprise.
    Epic ride for me. My lights played up on one lap and I rode by the full moon in the open and other people’s lights in the woods. A bloke kindly yelled “jump!” at me on all the wee water bars on the descent when I asked if I could tail him for the benefit of his light.
    An upsetting too-many-gels ‘Paula Radcliffe’ moment out on the course coincided with the middle of a lap where I had a hard otb in a wheelstopper and my freehub decided to play “guess when I’m going to engage”. A bit of a weep at the indignity of it all, a baby-wipe shower, fresh clothes, a bastardised bike, some real food, some immodium and a kip later, I was good to go again.
    My pit crew, Roberta, druidh and graham went above and beyond the call of duty to get me through to 10am today.
    ….you really didn’t need to know some of that, did you?… My head, body and two bikes are sh*gged, I just don’t care anymore! *rocks gently in a corner*

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well done Jojo.

I was following your laps times. cracking performance. Nails!

meanredspider
    Free Member

Would i do it again? If I was put in the same situation again, I would.

I did it this year because I’ve spent the last 14 months helping my 14 year old son through cancer. After that, I feel like I take take on anything – I can’t imagine anything tougher (the Puffer is obviously a walk in the park in comparison). The Puffer was a great atmosphere – very friendly – had a chat with people on my way round and got cheered on.

swavis

Well done Jo, & well done to your pit crew 😀

meanredspider
    Free Member

I should add that anyone who was wondering what the Doug Stewart memorial trophy was – Doug was a close family friend (colleague of mine, husband of my wife’s beSt friend, father of my kids’ friends) who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the day my son’s cancer was diagnosed. His son was in my quad. Things like that drive you on

matt_outandabout

Sounds ace 😐

But respect to all who took part 🙂

Mebbe I need to take part in such things to see the attraction…

bedmaker

A cracking puffer. Done it 3 times solo but never again.* Did it as a quad and got on good coming 8th, quite happy with that.
    Conditions were really pretty good considering the weather here recently. Experiencing parts of the track actually getting drier in the wind around 1-5am was definately a first for me.
    The big muddy slither down from the swivel seat was great fun and the braking bumps down from view rock on the last descent were interesting on a rigid bike at speed.
    Ridiculously awesome results from the top guys as usual, and a top effort from epicyclo dragging his monstrosity round ten times 😯
    Time for bed.

*probably

devs
    Free Member

14 laps in 23.42 for me. Didn’t have the stomach for a last one and it would have made very little difference to my standing. Great event. I think I have exorcised my solo demons now and won’t feel like doing it again. Maybe a quad.

readikus

What an evil, nasty, brutal, horrible race. Kinda enjoyed it, but a bit silly to attempt as my first ever 24.

The guy riding for Cooksons Cycles on a Lapiere hardtail was an absolute monster.

Brown
    Free Member

That was the most technically difficult and enjoyable 24hr course I’ve ridden. It was absolutely brilliant, although my back, neck and arms are killing me today as a result! Anyone know how long a lap was?

The fireroad climb was another matter entirely…

How Gronk put in a fastest lap only a second slower than the fastest ovverall I will never know!

Congratulations to everyone, I had an amazing weekend!

iDave
    Free Member

who do i bribe to get a solo place next year?

Brown
    Free Member

I got a reserve place. And then I got offered another reserve place 2 weeks later. Didn’t get on the list till really late either, so I’d say it’s definitely worth getting on it even if you miss an entry.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

iDave – Member

who do I bribe to get a solo place next year?

You need to apply as soon as the application line is open – takes a few minutes to sell out

Brown Anyone know how long a lap was?

someone will probably give yo an accurate figure but IIRC between 6.5 and 7 miles

devs
    Free Member

I measured it at 11km last year and it didn’t change that much this.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

mcmoonter,

What’s that set up with gronk and nipper being towed – looks like part of a Bo Yak or copy with modifications – do you know?

My daughter has a 24″ wheel Isla Bike and it’s too big to be towed with a Trail Gator, but that looks like a posible solution.

meanredspider
    Free Member

That was the most technically difficult and enjoyable 24hr course I’ve ridden. It was absolutely brilliant, although my back, neck and arms are killing me today as a result! Anyone know how long a lap was?

The fireroad climb was another matter entirely…

I’m glad you said that about it being technically difficult. As a total novice, I thought it seemed quite tough for an endurance race but I have nothing to compare it with.

As for the fire road climb, that’s where I passed everybody (apart from the surface, it’s not a million miles different from my commute) – then I’d let them back past as I was fighting the rocks! It’s my upper body that’s taken a battering – the swelling on my wrist as gone down thankfully.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer Updates’ is closed to new replies.