Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Strange wheel alignment in forks problem
  • curlie467
    Free Member

I have a 2005 specialized rockhopper.
    When i first got the bike recently i noticed that if you drop the front wheel in and tighten it as normal then it sits on an angle and you have to mess about to get it straight, i thought nothing of it and that it was a fork issue.
    I have now fitted some new Rockshox sid race forks and the issue is still there so i thought it may be the wheel but i have tried a wheel from my other bike and that sits on an angle too.

I am now wandering if it is tricking my eye slightly and it is actually the forks sat in the frame slightly off, headset or frame problem maybe?

Has anyone seen a problem like this before? is it common? what on earth should i try next or should i just live with it?

Once i have the wheel centered the nit causes no problems, the bike steers and rides perfectly.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It’s a known problem with SID forks from a year or two back too. Should have been sorted by now though.

curlie467
    Free Member

They are 2009 forks but unused, it is strange that my manitou forks had the same issue though or is it more common than i think?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If its the same in both forks, then it’s unlikely it’s the forks.

Your wheel probably needs re-dishing.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Straight in which way? As in the wheel is not in the middle of the fork arch, or it leans towards the right at the fork/to the left at the ground?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How are you aligning the wheel? If it’s not completely in the dropouts it may result in an accute case of DEATH!

Is the wheel dished properly?

curlie467
    Free Member

The wheel leans, as you sit on the bike it is to the left at the top and right at the bottom, you have to then lean the wheel back over approximately 8-10mm to get it straight.
    I have tried another wheel and that sits the same.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

That would suggest the forks then, be a coincidence it both sets were like it though.

VanHalen

i`ve noticed that qr forks i’ve owned with a spring only in one leg tend to do this.

my 20mm axled manitous didnt as much but i guess they are alot stiffer than qr manitous/psylos and toras.

10mm seems alot though! forks bent? flip the wheel over so disk is on other side to see if dishing is a problem.

curlie467
    Free Member

I have just checked and it is more like 4-5mm, sorry about that, my guesstimate was way out!!
    I have flipped the wheel and it is the same.
    What about filing a little metal out of where the axle sits on the forks to true it back up?

coatesy
    Free Member

Possibly a stupid question, but you haven’t fitted one of the conical QR springs the wrong way around? Should be small end pressing on the axle, large end seated in the reccess of the skewer ends.Get one backwards and the spring goes over the axle, prevents it sitting correctly and your wheel becomes misaligned.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Strange wheel alignment in forks problem’ is closed to new replies.