Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Storing Bikes
  • The-Beard

We’re moving house pretty soon and our new place is a bit smaller than the old one. This means I’m looking for interesting bike storage solutions. The new place does have a garden so a shed is an idea, although we do live in London so I am worried about theft.

theflatboy
    Free Member

might looks at something like this:

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mine live in a shed in outer London. The shed door is padlocked, the bikes are secured with a chain to a ground anchor, and I have insurance.

Lummox

at one of the places i window clean the guy stores his bike in a bike store, don’t have a link but it’s a lockable (2 hefty padlocks) all enclosed green storage box. As a nice aside he also had a paving slab with a wheel stand bolted to it for cleaning his bike in the garden.

The-Beard

Mine live in a shed in outer London.

What size of shed? I have a fair few bikes what with mine and the wifes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC screwfix do those bike-shed things, £400 or so.

theflatboy
    Free Member

BD’s got a hand-made custom bike shed big enough for the eponymous BD. and i’m very jealous of it. 🙂

timber

5 1/2 bikes in a 6’x4′ shed

could probably get another one in there

BigDummy
    Free Member

flatboy – are you confusing my shed with Stoner’s?

Mine is the width of the house and about the size of my living room. Which is nice. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

oh, maybe – yeah probably actually. if it’s not yours it must be the one built for the yuba, if that’s stoner’s?

i’m still jealous of yours, by the sounds of things, as i live in a one bedroom flat with no outside space so i now have 3 bikes in the living room! 😆

The-Beard

i’m still jealous of yours, by the sounds of things, as i live in a one bedroom flat with no outside space so i now have 3 bikes in the living room

That’s what the wife is getting upset about. She doesn’t want them in the living room.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i had one bike, then just after xmas i got another after much persuasion. this was fine, then a couple of weeks ago i managed to somehow sneakily buy another which seems to have been accepted as well so now i’ve got 3 in there. 😆

to be honest, even i find that unsatisfactory but there’s no alternative at the mo…

Rambo
    Free Member

That’s what the wife is getting upset about. She doesn’t want them in the living room.

What you need to do is remind the wife who wears the trousers in your relationship

….. and then find somewhere secure outside to store them 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

There’s 2 i see recommended all the time

Asgard bike store

and protect a cycle

shoefiti
    Free Member

@trickydisco – that looks good where can i get on of those? is the steel quite hefty?

D0NK

@ flatboys pic, fine for fair weather fakengers and the more anally retentive amongst us who clean and polish their bike fastidiously after every ride (sod that!) not so good for well used, muddy bikes.

theflatboy
    Free Member

this is true, donk. i keep my in the lounge as it is, though, so it’s no different! been trying to persuade the gf we should get one like that, but she reckons that’s worse than having them propped up against each other… 😕

trickydisco
    Free Member

@shoefiti – the image is clickable

mefty
    Free Member

I have got one of these

It takes three bikes and a child seat (detached), can attach up to four padlocks plus if mounted on a concrete plinth a decent ground anchor.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

You want to be careful with storing bikes. Apparently storing a bike “incorrectly” can twist a whole frame out of alignment.

Well, that’s what Merlin Cycles and Kinesis told me anyway. Either that or I had “dropped” it.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

The Asgard bike store looks good, but I’d still want it indoors and bolted to the floor and walls!! I know some don’t have a choice, but I just can’t bring myself to leave my bikes outside! They probably aren’t any more secure in my dining room, just makes me feel better!!

tinribz
    Free Member

How much would it cost to build something Asgard size out of breeze blocks, (not including inter-galactic drive technology)?

jond
    Free Member

If it’s Victorian or Edwardian – under the stairs ? I generally had about 3 there in our old place…the GF grumbled a bit but understood 😉

tinribz
    Free Member

Well there’s an hour I wont get back. Probably look better in brick. Long Summer project maybe.

AdamM
    Free Member

How many bikes are you looking to store? I have 7 bikes and an 800×800 work area all stored in a space that is 2.4m long and 1.0m out from the wall, like this:

The whole thing

Click the pic for more…

Half of those bikes are no longer mine and the way I hang them has changed a lot, but the frame is still unchanged.

It’s all completely free standing and not attached to the wall in any way, so ideal for a rented flat. The thing is, the wife and I are moving to Australia later this year so I need to get rid of the timber. If you’d like to pop over to look at ‘the shed’, or you’d like more advice, or you’re interested in the timber (no charge, I’d just rather it didn’t go into landfill) then email me: adammonline AT gmail DOT com

trickydisco
    Free Member

AdamM
    “Oops! You don’t have permission to view this photo.”

epicyclo

Rambo – Member
    What you need to do is remind the wife who wears the trousers in your relationship
    ….. and then find somewhere secure outside to store them

Slight correction:

….. and then with the space created by her departure, you will have more room to store bikes. 🙂

alpinegirl
    Free Member

If it's got high ceilings you can hang them above you in the hall or somewhere. I've seen it done both on permanent rails fixed across the hall, or you can set up a pulley-type system (like those clothes drying racks, lazy marys maybe?) that you can then lower and raise.

Olly
    Free Member

Living room.
    warm winter fettling for me thankyou 🙂

(and we have no outside space)

Tinners

Not tried them myself, but thinking of ordering from these:
    http://www.parrs.co.uk/category-Cycle-Parking-CYCLE.htm

robinbetts
    Free Member

Has anyone employed any steganogaphic techniques for bike security? I.e. hide the existence of the bikes all together, instead of simply securing them with locks and ground anchors? I'm thinking false walls in sheds/garages, hidden underground bunkers… Might be OTT, but just thought of it!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Storing Bikes’ is closed to new replies.