Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Stonehenge.!
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Popped in on the way through to our campsite today. £3 to park, fair enough but £6.90 to get into the enclosure.!

WTF…!!!

Only in England. Has this place gone mad.?

jon1973
    Free Member

Supply and Demand I guess and you can always join English Heritage. It's not just England though, when we went to France last year, pretty much everything was between 10 and 20 euros to get in to – Everyone cashes in on tourists. At least English Heritage is charity and keeps a lot of old/historic properties open and maintained – and that's an expensive business. If Stonehenge was owned privately, it would be a lot more than £6.90 to get in.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

£6.90 is obscene. That area is rich. Stuff costs alot. go figure.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    redthunder
    Free Member

There are plenty of other megalithic locations around the UK with much more spirit.

Stonehenge now longer has any spirit.

jon1973
    Free Member

Stonehenge now longer has any spirit.

Shut up hippy 😆

..only joking.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

It's an obscenity. English Heritage are ethically bankrupt.

Supply and Demand I guess

Or exploiting a national treasure.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just park on the lane then bunk over the fence innit 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

There are plenty of other megalithic locations around the UK with much more spirit.

True enough but it doesn't excuse squeezing the last of its life from it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In ancient times
    Hundreds of years before the dawn of history
    Lived a strange race of people, the druids

No one knows who they were
    Or what they were doing
    But their legacy remains
    Here into the living rock of Stonehenge

jon1973
    Free Member

It's an obscenity. English Heritage are ethically bankrupt….Or exploiting a national treasure.

I'm not saying it's a reasonable price, but it's a non-profit charity. I guess you could argue that it exploits 'popular' attractions to subsidise other important properties – it's not like anyone else is going to do that.

llama

Whenever work collegues come from overseas they always want to see stonehenge.

They always leave disapointed.

Those bloody druids would be spinning on their alters

sweepy
    Free Member

It cant cost much to maintain, rip off IMO

edhornby

no-one knows who they were or what they were doin…

jonb
    Free Member

google earth

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I guess you could argue that it exploits 'popular' attractions to subsidise other important properties – it's not like anyone else is going to do that.

In theory I'd like to agree with you but I'm not sure they use their funds to the sites' best interests. They're lots of black holes into which 'not-for profit' monies can disappear into.

oh, and lol @ flasheart.

another oh, and… fave Stonehenge song

simonralli2
    Free Member

Crumbs! Terrible!

How do you think I felt paying the monumental sum of 12 of your English pounds for a private early morning ceremony with a little group of friends before the masses arrived!!???

I must be a mug as I have done that twice now. I'd say the energy is alive and well 🙂

Cougar

I think I'd begrudge paying seven quid a lot less if you could actually get near the thing. I understand the need to scrote-proof it of course, but it's a bit galling when you pay your money to be told "that's it, over there."

mrmo
    Free Member

went there a few weeks back, busy and expensive. But more anoying you can't really get anywhere near the stones.

Much prefered Avebury and even woodhenge with its little markers felt more understandable.

Cougar

simonralli2 – do they still allow masses at Stonehenge? I thought they'd outlawed that sort of thing.

(-:

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

One gent I was talking to said it was "for the upkeep".

It's not the forty road bridge ffs. Between the parking and the cafe they must be raking it in. No excuse imo. Just bleeding folk of their hard earned. Vert dissapointed. Glad I got to see it but still miffed.

jon1973
    Free Member

That's a fair point HeathenWoods although I'm not sure how true that is in the case of EH.

You can join for 40 quid a year, which makes everything sound pretty reasonable given the number of properties you then have free access to. I'm clearly in a minority though 😉

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Can't see the harm in using it as a cash cow to provide funds for other projects TBH

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cougar – yes they do and the staff are very friendly, welcoming and open to people of any background. They even let you touch the stones 🙂

Some friends of mine posted some Stonehenge ceremony photos last week so yes, you can still do this.

Oh and if anyone wants a big in your face henge, Thornborough Henges is worth a cheeky visit!

inkster
    Free Member

Why fence it off?

Stonehenge would make a world class graffiti location. The paint might help preserve the stones for future generations as well.

gusamc
    Free Member

A souless place, given the amount pissed up on the wall on repeated (and useless) enquiries, consultations and strategic future plans I'm hoping that some pissed up bulldozer driver and a mate with a grab lorry save us all a fortune one evening.

Try Callanish or Brogar and Hadrians Wall – actually worth a visit,

ziggy
    Free Member

We used to picnic there most Sundays as kids as it was just down the road, the ropes went up after selfish twunts kept chisling bits of to take home.

Hopefully the visitor centre will finally get made one day, although looks like the funding is going to disappear 🙁

beaker

I drive past the bloody place twice a day and I never fail to be amazed by the amount of people wandering around. It'd be good if english heritage spent some of the profits from the site to make the a303 a dual carriageway past it.

igm

For your massive area of megalithic stuff at the bargain price of no entry fee may I recommend Kilmartin Glen

cinnamon_girl

I have a route that incorporates the bridleway beside Stonehenge, bit difficult to cross the two A roads though. 🙁

Could be a possibility for a Forum Ride at some point?

jon1973
    Free Member

be good if english heritage spent some of the profits from the site to make the a303 a dual carriageway past it.

I'm not sure we should be making charities responsible for roads widening schemes.

sonik
    Free Member

last time i was at 'the henge' i ended up having a truncheon wrapped arond my head!!!! 😕

markfu
    Free Member

I lived about 2 miles from there a couple of years ago, every time that we had family visit they all wanted to see it…. they all left disappointed. I agree that Avebury is much more interesting.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Pop over to Ireland, loads of older places open to public FOC, kid you not 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

If we're talking about alternatives, I was down in Cornwall for a conference last week (feat. Ronald Hutton talking about Druids amongst others) and visited the Hurlers on my way down and up. That is an amazing place!

On my first visit there were bullocks charging each other on the edges of the central circle and on my second there were wild ponies and their foals wandering round the site. Beautiful!

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Driven past twice and just slowed down.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

markfu, Durrington or Larkhill? Either way, not good!

guido

Funny thread- will send around work tomorrow.
    Also BTW-EH is not a charity it a part of the DCMS.

lagerfanny
    Free Member
    Tiger6791

Wood henge just up the road is free, Stonehenge is for mugs.

Strawhenge has gone

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Stonehenge.!’ is closed to new replies.