• This topic has 31 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Stock up on CD's and DVD's
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Good old government is closing the loophole that means you can buy goods under 18 quid vat free via the Channel Islands

Companies like Amazon (indigostarfish) and Play will obviously be affected, think Tesco do it too

Thanks again for getting more money out of us, yet i’m sure there are plenty of tax evaders they could clamp down on if they weren’t the people who financed them

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think you’re being a bit mean. You think killing people in their own countries overseas for the US comes free?

Harry_the_Spider

…and we give them aid money once we’ve killed them. Somebody has got to pay for that too.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Good points, worth it just so we can interfere with events in Libya too. Why should they be allowed to kill each other when we can help out

jon1973
    Free Member

It does seem a little unfair that giants like Amazon can charge less for their DVDs etc. by exploiting a loophole when local high street stores have a 20% disadvantage. – they’re doing it to make money after all, not for philanthropic reasons after all.

Would you be complaining if they closed the loophole that allows Vodafone to avoid paying shed loads of corporation tax? – can’t really see the difference, it would all mean higher prices for us, annoying though that is.

Burls72
    Free Member

Would you be complaining if they closed the loophole that allows Vodafone to avoid paying shed loads of corporation tax? – can’t really see the difference, it would all mean higher prices for us, annoying though that is.

But the point is their not closing that loophole are they! Pick on the easy targets.

Northwind

So we disaprove of tax evasion when it’s vodafone but we love it when it’s CDs?

jon1973
    Free Member

Amazon, Play and Tesco’s are easy targets?

Burls72
    Free Member

Amazon, Play and Tesco’s are easy targets?

Not the companies. It’s a lot easier to close this particular tax loophole than tackle where the vast majority of tax is lost i.e. companies like vodaphone and the super rich.

I don’t disagree with your point, you are correct in what you say. What I disagree with is a policy like this, as I said pick on the easy targets rather than tackle the real issues.

stgeorge

As a small on line retailer we welcome this move, and wish it done ASAP.

If its easy to close , then do it, and do it now.

vinnyeh

Presumably, if the law was bought in it would have to apply to low value goods bought in from all countries outside the eu. Then, it’d be safe to assume that just about every parcel coming from those countries would contain taxable goods, rather than going on the customs declaration value.
    That’d solve the mail industry’s revenue problems- there’d be a handling/ tax collection fee on basically everything arriving from outside the eu.

bananaworld
    Free Member

(Ooh, ooh, potential “I like to hold the physical thing in my hands” trolling opportunity!)

But surely all music and film will very soon just be streamed directly to us as and when we need it? And when we do want to buy a copy, won’t it just be downloaded from the supplier rather than waiting for a wasteful hardcopy to arrive?

jon1973
    Free Member

“I like to hold the physical thing in my hands” trolling opportunity!

Why are you trolling if you say you like to own the actual DVD / CD? I love my collection of DVD’s. Maybe it’s a generation thing? Don’t see why it’s wateful either, it creates jobs and wealth and it’s not like you use it once and then chuck it in a landfill.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Sorry, should have made it clearer that the attempt at trolling was mine: I hoped a post going on about how the future of music & movies lies stored in computers would bring people out to post about how they prefer having the physical article.

Oh wait… 😉

Anyway, I love my CD collection, but never actually listen to a CD, or watch a DVD: it’s just so much more convenient (i.e. lazier) to click the desired entertainment on a computer.

it creates jobs and wealth

So does coal mining…

it’s not like you use it once and then chuck it in a landfill

True, but the argument is: should it have even been created in the first place when, these days, we don’t need a physical copy…?

jon1973
    Free Member

I must admit I have also ripped my collection of DVD’s so I can play them via the PS3 – so you’re right, it is so much more convienient.

toby1

Er, where are you getting this information from?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Oh my god – Vodafone, it’s Vodafone

(Why does that annoy me so?)

toby1

Ah right – just had a dig around the news, sh!t – anyone got any jobs going?

jon1973
    Free Member

So does coal mining…

meaning?

DezB
    Free Member

Can someone post a link to this story please?
    All I can find about it is news from 2005! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/jersey/4624781.stm)

jon1973
    Free Member
    binners

What’s a CD?

jon1973
    Free Member

What’s a CD?

The things they make windchimes out of.

beanum

What’s a CD?

The things they make windchimes out of.

🙂

jonb
    Free Member

How does tax work with digital media, is there VAT payable on imported data?

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, thanks.
    So George Osborne thinks that encouraging more illegal downloads is the way forward for the music industry. Excellent.

toby1

It is incredibly short-sighted to think that internet retail is responsible for the lack of high street sales of this media. Anyone care to remember HMV dominating most UK high streets and killing indie shops off then whacking their back catalogue up to £16 a cd. Not to mention downloading content either legally or illegally.

DezB
    Free Member

Probably why nothing happened back in 2005.
    But the ConDems have proved themselves stupid enough to actually go though with it.

MSP

It does just sound like a smokescreen to make it look like something is being done about tax dodges, rather than actually doing something about tax dodgers.

The industry has been very slow on the uptake for legally downloading films, IMO they could have headed off the illegal download boom, by providing a fair legal service. They still seem hell-bent on protecting stupid national level markets within Europe, instead of actually taking control of the market by actually offering a decent service.

xiphon
    Free Member

Long live the torrents!

jon1973
    Free Member

Long live the torrents!

I think they’ll be clamping down on that before too long. I think Virgin Media has already agreed to allow users connections to be scanned for torrent activity (not sure it works though).

MSP

I think they’ll be clamping down on that before too long. I think Virgin Media has already agreed to allow users connections to be scanned for torrent activity (not sure it works though).

They already have the rights to obtain the user information for people who download copyrighted material, but the legal action has been so badly handled, and just downright dodgy that the law firm involved now appears to be in trouble. What they were doing was effectively blackmail.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Stock up on CD's and DVD's’ is closed to new replies.