Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Stiffest normal QR fork?
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new fork for the mmmbop, to replace my MX Comps. I have a dynamo hub so am limited to standard QR forks, but I can fit any size headtube.

I have a lyrik with 20mm maxle on the remedy, and I know how much stiffer that feels, so with this limitation what do people feel is the best you can get on QR?

Thanking ya

joolsburger
    Free Member

I am very pleased with my Maguras plenty stiff enough for me and just a brilliant fork all round.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Bomber 44s maybe?

I know if it was me I’d be looking seriously at a new front wheel as well if stiffness is a major factor for you.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Probably one of the DT Swiss forks. Their lowers are hugely stiff for QR forks.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

wot matthew h said. I had some pace RC41s and they were SO much stiffer than the revs I’m riding now

poppa
    Free Member

Anything from Magura with the double arch lowers.

Magura’s distinctive low-slung double arch brace design immediately distinguishes the Odur in terms of steering control. It locks down steering for outstanding on-trail accuracy that’ll shame anything this side of a bolt-through fork.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/odur-09-31621

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hey ta, I hadn’t thought of DT Swiss stuff, will check them out.
    The Magura looks really nice but I remember trying a Thor a mate had…wow divetastic! Maybe he had set it up wrong.

As for wheel, hadn’t thought of that either. I have a XM719 rim currently, and the dynamo hub has really wide flanges, so probably need to upgrade the fork first.

I had the MX comps apart a while ago and was *shocked* by how flexy the lowers are on their own. Magnesium I think. Almost bent the arch without trying.

poppa
    Free Member

I’ve only had one Magura but yeah, it is tricky to set up to be soft enough to work properly without diving. Stiff though!

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’d say Jnr T but I guess thats not really what you’re after!

dustytrails

Maguras here too!!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Most lowers will flex if there is no hub in there. That goes for bolt-throughs too

Waderider
    Free Member

Most lowers will flex if there is no hub in there. That goes for bolt-throughs too

I always struggle to proceed without a wheel in place though. In spite of the massive power that I generate.

DT Swiss……

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I wheelie through in that scenario, but I was talking about taking them off the stanchions 🙂

The Magura Laurin FCR looks perfect! But thy don’t make it anymore.
    Only thing over 100mm now is the Thor, and that’s 20mm only…d’oh!

joolsburger
    Free Member

My maggies are the 120mm Marathons which actually bottom out at 130mm and are still available.

As for dive I think they are fine I’m 16 stone and when set up right they work well, not divey but they are very linear, coming from Fox forks they did feel less progressive but then again they gave full travel. They are seriously light too.

Please you see

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magura-MD120M-Mountian-Bike-Suspension-Forks-/160510280819?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item255f288473

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

maguras here too, the do seem to dive below a certain pressure, then get too stiff, the sweet spot is tiny! Once youve got it though thyere great, PeterPoddy took some pics at the weekend and thye dont look too dive tastic, if anything they look a bit too extended!

Militant_biker

Maguras for me too! Not noticed a diving problem on my 07 Menja 100s. I’m sure I saw them rated as the stiffest around when I was researching them – I bought them cos they were dirt cheap!

My other bikes had a set of Maxle Boxxers and a set of X-Fusion Delta 8’s with about 45mm stanchions and a 35 bolt in hub. I don’t notice the Maguras flexing.

avdave2

ooOOoo are you using the dynamo off road and if so what light are you using? I have a dynamo hub but apart from the expensive Supernova E3 Triple I’m not aware of what else is avaliable that will be suitable for off road.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

avdave I have an IQ fly at the moment which is totally useless off road 🙂
    I may try a home build at some point, but the next thing to go on will be this

Saccades
    Free Member

Deffo the pace/DT swiss – piss all over my maguras (admittedly the older phaons).

avdave2

Thanks ooOOoo I guess I’ll just have to wait until others enter the market. I only ride at night off road on the commute home in the winter and can get by with the old cateye halogen lights I have.

poppa
    Free Member

Magura phaons don’t have the dual arch design, so not a good comparison :-p

ooOOoo
    Free Member

There’s also the edelux lights but they are not cheap either.

The IQ Fly is lovely but the beam is so narrow you can barely turn a corner. I was tempted to try this

And overlap the 2 beams, but another IQ fly is still about £70 🙁

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Frudis-radladen.blogspot.com%2F2007_11_01_archive.html

beanieripper
    Free Member

dunno why everyone thinks dt forks are so stiff? i know my older xmc130’s werent particularly stiff at all for a qr fork..

PJM1974
    Free Member

The old Pace RC40s (now DT Swiss somethingridiculouslyexpensive or other) were supposed to be extremely stiff considering their QR dropouts.

Mine weren’t bad from memory, although the Pikes I replaced them with were in a whole different league.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Pikes have a QR?

matthew_h
    Free Member

We’ve got a pir of DT lowers in the shop that you can compare directly with a pair of Revelation lowers. Neither have internals fitted so it is only the lower leg assembly that you are comparing and the DTs are massively more stiff than the Revs. You can take the bottom of the Rev legs and easily pull them apart and twist the fork. I can barely move the DTs at all. The service intervals on the DTs also back this up.

That’s why I claim the DTs are really stiff, I’ve tried to flex them.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Pikes have a QR?

Erm, I was just illustrating a point…

messiah
    Free Member

F-all is the difference from your mx vs most qr forks you will feel. Next.

poppa
    Free Member

You ridden and compared all these forks then messiah?

messiah
    Free Member

Fox F120 qr vs Reba maxle vs old bomber = F-all unless your forks are trollied or your some kind of bike god. I dislike qr because they come lose, not because they are less stiff that you can feel on the trail, marketing 101.

Lyrik is a beefy fork, nothing short of similar or 36mm will compare, imho.

Militant_biker

So all QR forks are created equal messiah? You seriously believe that there is no difference in stiffness between any QR forks? SID vs Pace/DT?

And I don’t recall ever having a QR come loose if it was done up properly in the first place…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve used RC41’s on my BFe as well as a few different 20mm bolt-through forks (Talas, 55r’s, Pikes) and can’t say I found the RC41’s noticeably flexier.

poppa
    Free Member

Thanks messiah – much more useful than your original answer 😀

FWIW I use hex-skewers with QR forks. *In theory* it could increase stiffness, because it’s easier to do them up tighter, but it’s also less likely to undo itself.

james-o
    Free Member

“I dislike qr because they come lose, not because they are less stiff that you can feel on the trail, marketing 101”

qr’s shouldn’t ever come loose unless it’s a crap qr design or not done up properly, never had that problem in 20+yrs of riding. but all my bikes have bolted forks now because there definately is a performance advantage – not always that they feel hugely stiffer but that they bind less and work smoother. but imo, they do feel stiffer laterally, and taper steerers feel stiffer under braking. i hate having to change to new standards for no reason, but in this case i have done becuse they’re that bit better. not worth paying for just for this alone, but if upgrading it’s definately worth it.

as qr forks go, DT’s feel stiffest. in fact as forks go in QR or 15mm, they’re as solid feeling as they get.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I run RC41 fighters, incredibly stiff.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Stiffest normal QR fork?’ is closed to new replies.