Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • steerer above new stem concern
  • spudnick
    Free Member

Ive just fitted a new easton ea70 stem and bar on my Genesis core 30 and the instructions say to make sure the steerer head is 2/3mm below the stem when fitted, but my steerer is 2/3mm above the stem. I cant see a problem with this as the stem is fully around the steerer. Is it ok to ride like this or will i need to cut the steerer or get some more spacers to raise the stem slightly?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Rorschach
    Free Member

Best practice (imho) is to have a spacer above the stem to maximize the clamping area between stem and steerer..Just whack a 5mm spacer on top.

trailflow
    Free Member

like this

Holyzeus
    Free Member

You need to put a spacer ABOVE the stem

4ags4
    Free Member

You need the 2/3mm to be able to preload the headset bearings with the top cap / sfn

Edric64
    Free Member

+1 What 4ags4 says or you get a loose headset

Guybrush
    Free Member

The bolt in the top cap is supposed to screw into the star fangled nut inserted in the steerer. You tighten it to remove play in the bearings and to stop you steerer moving up and down in the headset. This is somewhat difficult if the top cap is resting on the top of the steerer.

Edit: typing this from my bed on a mobile phone is very slow.

spudnick
    Free Member

cheers for the advice. will need to order some more spacers later as when i put a spacer on top of the stem it just rattles because the steerer is slightly long

nick

JohnnyPanic

the instructions say to make sure the steerer head is 2/3mm below the stem when fitted

Should read 2/3mm below the stem or spacer fitted above the stem.
    Once you’ve put a 5mm spacer above the stem the steerer will be 2/3mm below the spacer. Top cap over that and then bolt through the top cap into the nut (which is fitted within the steerer – yes?) and tighten up until play disappears. Then it won’t rattle & the headset bearings will be properly preloaded.

spudnick
    Free Member

only got 2x10mm spacers and 1x5mm spacer at the moe so no matter if i put the 5mm spacer above the stem the steerer is stll long by 2/3mm. the bolt through the top cap into the steerer doesnt make the 2/3mm dissapear as far as i can see

nick

spudnick
    Free Member

just had a look at the old stem and that was thicker where the stem bolts attach to the steerer so this must be where the extra 2/3mm have come from. will order new spacers later

nick

JohnnyPanic

Sorry, yes – you need an extra 5mm spacer. Doesn’t matter too much whether it goes above or below the stem. That’s down to preference & where you want your bars to be. You can play around with that. Other option (as you said) is to take 5mm off the steerer if you’re happy making a perfectly level cut. I would add a spacer myself.

spudnick
    Free Member

cheers Mr Panic, I was slightly confussed but all seems clear now

Nick

spooky_b329

Or, if you definitely won’t want to fit a taller stem or fit the forks to a frame with a longer head tube, you can break out the hacksaw and take off 5 or 6mm to shorten the forks. It really is a measure three times, pick up hacksaw, put down hacksaw, measure twice again, then cut job though 🙂

I like to keep my options open for frame replacement so run a 10mm spacer above the stem.

MarkyG82

Any local bike shop or even halford will have spacers off the shelf. Unless you’re after something special, I’d pop down the road. Then you can go out riding today 🙂

khani
    Free Member

This is where halfords come in handy,….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘steerer above new stem concern’ is closed to new replies.