• This topic has 76 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Steel Kona's from the late-90s
  • Woody
    Free Member

Don’t understand this ‘light off-roading’ !

It wouldn’t cross my mind not to do something on my ’95 Lava Dome that I would normally ride on a new hardtail !

EDIT To be fair I do ride like Pansy Potter most of the time anyway 8)

KonaOwner
    Free Member

So this isn’t a Joe Murray Kona? Oh well, it still rides nice. I think it’s a ’98. I plan to put High Rollers on it and SPDs but leave everything else the same.

Although it’s a 98 frame, its shape/geometry is identical to Konas from 94 onwards, and Joe Murray did design the 94 Konas before he left in 93.

They’re quite tough frames, there’s no need to baby it.

Kuco

Splatter paint jobs were on the first Kona’s. Everyone use to ask if I had spilt paint over my 89 Cindercone.

Andy-R

Kuco – Member
    Splatter paint jobs were on the first Kona’s.

Yep, the frames were welded in Taiwan and then sent to Paul Brodie for the braze-ons and the paint job. Only ’88 and ’89 frames had the Brodie paint and, in fact, if you compare an ’88 Kona with a Brodie frame of the same age there are a lot of similarities, in spite of the “designed by Joe Murray” frame decal……
    Dupont Imron too, which is why an ’88 Kona Explosif can still look so good after 24 years,well, mine does anyway.
    It still rides very well too, plus I never see anyone out around these parts on an older bike.

diawl2
    Free Member

My ’95 Cinder Cone in touring mode

[/url] 046 by simonmcc88, on Flickr[/img]

AlexSimon

Interesting stuff about the paint. At the time I think I thought that Brodie were the Canadian handmade versions of Konas. I didn’t know about the paint.
    I had the first year Cinder Cone (from Two Wheels Good in leeds), then Explosifs for the next 4 years (because I worked for a bike shop that sold Konas). A friend has still got the last one I had, which was the very last of the non-suspension corrected frames.

I had a couple of bikes in-between, but they were always absolutely awful compared to the Konas.

Lovely bikes, although I still prefer the hardtails I had afterwards (Bontrager and Independent Fabrication).

rossi46
    Free Member

Here’s my early 90’s (1992) Cinder Cone in city guise on a recent trip to the Olympic park….

brassneck

might get a rear disc tab welded on next year if it lasts another winter (which it will)…

I’ve got a explosif I want to put disks on and ss.

I thought about all this long and hard and decided it killed the character of the bike as a whole. Ended up getting a skinny Duster frame which feels very similar in terms of geometry, was pretty cheap and already has disk gubbins on it. If you like your old Kona, it’s well worth trying one, haven’t ridden my full suss yet this year.

messiah
    Free Member

I decided against putting disc tabs on this a few years ago when it was repaired/modified after the chainstay snapped. I wanted to keep it cheap and a bit sh1t so I could justify replacing it “properly” when it breaks again… which it has stubbornly refused to do… must try harder 😈

Kuco

I gave my Cindercone away about 12 years ago, whish I hadn’t. I never did like the rear U-brake.

Andy-R

Kuco – Member
    I gave my Cindercone away about 12 years ago, whish I hadn’t. I never did like the rear U-brake.

No, I was never very keen on the U brake either, I’ve had Magura Racelines on my ’88 Explosif for a few years now. Short of fitting disc brakes (and I wasn’t going to start doing that to the poor old thing), I reckon that it’s the way to go.

clubber
    Free Member

I thought about all this long and hard and decided it killed the character of the bike as a whole

Hardly. Mine’s had discs on for 16 years…

smoggy
    Free Member

Not steel, but from the late 90’s (99 i think) still goin’ strong but a bit of a trigger’s brush if i’m honest, still love it though. 🙂

IMAG0485 by smoggy3, on Flickr

m1kea
    Free Member

Again, highly unlikely I’d muster the time to actually do this but were I to SS the 94 Cindercone, what / where’s the best place to start?

I’ll defo need a new 1″ threaded headset and the V brake cables were zipp tied to the frame due to lack of cable bosses. – Worth considering additional bosses, especially if I had new fixie drop outs fitted?

gwj72
    Free Member

Hola..

’93 Fire mountain here. P2’s and canti brakes. Climbs like a rocket, even with me powering it. Perfect backup bike and fun in its own right. Also dead unfashionable which makes it even cooler.

kimbers

heres a 90s kona……… or is it??

i am luuuurvin the graphics!

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes.cfm

PTR
    Free Member

m1kea, I have V-brakes on my ’93 Cindercone. You don’t need new braze ons, what I did was to reuse the existing seat post cable guide. You remove the bolt, turn the guide so that the bolt hole is in line with the top tube. then replace the bolt with a barrel adjuster from an old rear mech. then run the cable thought the barrel adjuster.

timc
    Free Member

kimbers has just found my next bike!

brassneck

Hardly. Mine’s had discs on for 16 years…

Only my opinion, bearing in mind I felt a bit dirty putting a V on the back to be honest, but I wanted to stop at roughly the same time I pulled the lever.

m1kea, I have V-brakes on my ’93 Cindercone. You don’t need new braze ons, what I did was to reuse the existing seat post cable guide. You remove the bolt, turn the guide so that the bolt hole is in line with the top tube. then replace the bolt with a barrel adjuster from an old rear mech. then run the cable thought the barrel adjuster.

Very neat solution. I used some stick on hose guides and zip tied the cable into them, running a full length outer.

Alex

I had this from about 92/93 I think:

Kona Kilauea by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Rear V needed a top tube clamp for a cable stop. Also had this, not sure if it was late 90s or a bit later but wish I’d never sold it.

Kona Caldera – May 03 – July 05 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Andy-R

That white Kilauea will be 1995, if that’s the original paint job.

Tange Prestige Concept tubes? I’ve got one just like it.

tthew

They’ve not really evolved much have they?! From the early 2010sies, this bike could also have qualified for the ‘what are you riding most’ thread. 2010 Kona Blink.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had a 91 Cinder Cone and a 93 Lave Dome but always wanted an Explosif
    So this year I built my dream Explosif

IMG_3493 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Through a combination of good luck and trading this owes me about £500 but it’s dripping with retro bling. The Middleburn cranks, saddle and post are all new but otherwise it’s all mid 90s stuff I would have upgraded to
    Magura HS33s
    Royce Ti BB
    XTR headset
    Mavic 618 ceramic rims on Goldtec hubs
    NOS Tioga Psychos
    8sp XT including cassette
    Sachs gripshifts
    Immaculate Kona Race Light bars
    Ringle H2O bottle cage
    Salsa Skewers
    X Lite crank bolts
    Paint and frame mods (cable guides for Maguras, stem cable hanger removed) all by Argos Cycles
    Transfers by Gil at The Cycle Shed to my own spec.
    Paint, transfers and mods cost just under £300!

It rides like a dream, light (24lb) flickabe, fast and direct.
    I’m absolutely chuffed to bits with it. 🙂

There’s more detail pics in the Flickr set….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, it’s got a plain silver post on it now though. That black one is a Syncros but it looked all wrong! 🙂

timc
    Free Member

as does that brown saddle, get shut of it!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Back from the dead . . . and doing very nicely 😛

Loads more pics of the full resto here.

Kuco

The Cindercone was the only Kona I ever owned and always wanted one of the last steel ones they made before they went to alloy. IMO they were never the same after that. And I also lusted for a Kilauea in Columbus steel.

Coyote
    Free Member

Bought the Hahanna frame off eBay for about £20 on a whim. A few shrewd buys off the classifieds and eBay left me with this.

It’s taken a few rides but now I’m starting to understand what all the fuss is about. I may now do a pimpy restoration project…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

as does that brown saddle, get shut of it!

Everybody tries to tell me something about my bike is wrong, like they are the Retro Police. I’ve been told the seat it wrong several times, that I should have used 5 bolt cranks (I had some 5 bolt Middleburns and sold them. I have a good reason for that choice) that it should have XTR mechs, that the Maguras are wrong… etc etc
    But I like it just as it is and I’m very pleased with it and it’d stopping as it is. I built the bike I wanted, basically, and I make no apologies for that. 🙂
    In that pic the black post really isn’t right though. It looks a LOT better with a silver one.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I like it just as it is and I’m very pleased with it and it’s stopping as it is. I built the bike I wanted, basically, and I make no apologies for that.

Kuco

I think your bike looks alright but will admit a silver seatpost would look better.

Simon-E

My 1997 Hahanna has been on commuting duty since 2006, with the occasional tyre swap for some offroading. Just fitted new chainset & front mech so very tempted to fit the knobblies again. Rims are pretty tired and braking is awful in the wet/mud but I still love it.

dukeduvet

Kuco is this what you meant? Had this Kilauea for about 4 years now but wanted one back in ’97. Used for commuting duties (goes like a rocket) and off road duties with a Z1 bomber. Everyone should have a retro kona, they are just so much fun. Due for a refurb soon.

2012-08-10 17.40.54 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

Picture 106 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

rossi46
    Free Member

Any ideas on ‘winterising’ a 20 year old Cinder Cone? I think it’d be wrong not riding it in the mud 😉
    Not too often mind as i remember how crap v brakes are in the mud 😆

racefaceec90

nice bikes everyone 😀
    i always wanted a classic kona steel/ti bike,but never could afford one (although i nearly got a 1991/2 lava dome).
    i think i bought my charge duster,partly because it was like an old kona steel frame 🙂

P20

1997 Cindercone. I built it as a commuter for wor lass. Long gone though

DSCF6649 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

That Explosif I posted in “Bike Shed retro” a little while back is probably going to be up for sale soon. Bloke has ordered a Spesh 29er on the bike to work scheme.
    Any one who may be interested can mail me.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Steel Kona's from the late-90s’ is closed to new replies.