• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Steel frames and wet weather
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m never quite sure on this one. On the one hand there seem to be folks who leave steel frames out in the rain year in, year out without issue, but then again there are warnings on the Frame Saver website about thin tube walls and rust.

So, what’s the general care routine? I know if you get a drenching it’s probably best to remove the seatpost, tip the frame upsidedown to drain and maybe store the bike with the seatpost removed if it’s not going to be used for a while. But do I need to bother with anything if I get caught in the odd shower? I assume that small amounts of water that find their way into a frame will evaporate out through the breathe holes etc. when the bike’s stored in the warm and dry. My frame had a couple of coats of Frame Saver applied before I built it up anyway.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Frame Saver

they might be trying to sell you sometihing!!

R.lepecha

My steel frame hasn’t been damaged from multiple showers and a few washes even though its been scratched to the bare metal in places. There isn’t even any rust…

I dont bother doing anything with it once its wet, I just let it dry.
    Cromoly is rust resistant so to speak though.

4ndyB
    Free Member

I have 3 steel framed bikes

They’re ridden in all kinds of weather

I ride them, and then just stick ’em in the house

They have not rusted through even without frame saver in them

They stay in my front room with central heating, which is probably why they’re not rusting away.

They do have small patches of surface rust which is not progressing any further as time passes

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have ridden two on-ones through seven Cannock Chase winters without a problem. They were both scratched to within an inch of there lives but never seen any rust.

PJay
    Free Member

Sounds reassuring. I guess that it’s water getting inside the frame that bothers me most but I guess it’ll evaporate out again fairly quickly.

phil50
    Free Member

I,ve had a Steel framed Rockhopper since 1998, no trouble at all.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Drill a 1 – 2mm hole in the BB shell.

woodsman
    Free Member

There you go, steel doesn’t rust!

You’ve done the frame saver which is more than most, ride it and now and then remove the seat post to let it air. Hole in the BB is a good idea too.

Touch in any chips as you go, or have it blasted and repsrayed every few years.

I’ve got some Reynolds 725 and 853 tubes in my workshop, never been on a bike and they are coated in rust that only sandblasting could remove.

Edric64
    Free Member

My 1949 Hobbs road frame seems ok

woodsman
    Free Member

Unless you’ve owned it from new, who says it hasn’t had oil/wax in the tubes – they probably did it from new then or even dunked it in red lead or similar at the factory. 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

953 would be ok in the wet

Kevevs
    Free Member

just ride the bloody bike!

mk1fan
    Free Member

That’s it. Mods!!!!!

Riding? A bike? Are you new here?

Kryton57

I asked genesis this same question. The response was that if I rode the bike 2-4 times per week in the wet, put it away wet and repeat over 10 years, they wouldnt expect the frame to fail, and if it did, they’d honour it with thier lifetime warranty.

cest la vie

Macavity
    Free Member

If you live near the sea then you will know what rust is.

On the subject of Reynolds 953
    http://reynoldstechnology.biz/faqs/materials/1
    “… In normal use, brown staining of the surface does occur due to sweat, salty roads etc if not protected/painted. The staining can be removed with “scotch-brite” or an equivalent….”

enfht
    Free Member

Orange told me my P7 got dipped in something, or was that a different conversation I had with Shepherd?

mrmo
    Free Member

DSC00784 by mr_mo12, on Flickr

DSC00778 by mr_mo12, on Flickr

$hit happens…

It is not the rust you can see you need to worry about, it is the rust you can’t the moisture in the frame itself. First i knew was a slight blister appearing on the seat tube, investigated with a small knife and the frame had rusted through.

epicyclo

mk1fan – Member
    Drill a 1 – 2mm hole in the BB shell.

+1

Coyote
    Free Member

There was another thread on here a couple of days ago with either a Bontrager or Gary Fisher that had done the same. Never heard of it with other frames.

mrmo
    Free Member

i have heard of it happen to a lot of frames, just takes time. That frame is getting on for 15 years old.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Steel frames and wet weather’ is closed to new replies.