• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lowering kerb stones to ease access
  • Spud

Has anyone done this through their county highways dept? If so, did you need planning permission and what was the ball park cost?

ebygomm
    Free Member

We will be getting this done hopefully when our house sale goes through.

Planning permission normally required if you’re on a classified road (one with a number).

£400 is the estimate for work required in this district.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the council but they *normally* charge around £200/£300 and the work has to be completed by their approved contractors.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spud

Cheers, not as bad I thought. Notts here, so see what they come up with. Rather fed-up with limited access due to neighbours parking on the road (they have six cars/ vans between them) and considering caravan so would be better to get it on/ off when there.

thepurist

As above – it’s closed shop when it comes to the contractors so you can’t shop around. Our first one was a properly shonky job and grass started popping up through the tarmac after a month or so, but after writing to the council they came back and re-did a much better job of it.

We didn’t need planning but if you’re doing it in conjunction with any paving/driveway work to the front of the house (>5 square metres) then you may need planning for that.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

does having it done then entitle you to park on the kerb and block 90% of it?

seems to down my way…

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’re in Notts too

Unlike other places it is done directly by the county or district (although they sometimes appoint contractors to do the work on their behalf), rather than being given a list of approved contractors.

Edit: not sure about if you’re in the city

Spud

Thanks ebygomm, I’ll see what the results of the inspector’s visit is.

BigJohn

In Staffordshire they often object. Apparently, if you allow a 2nd access it allows you to build a petrol station in your back garden, or so they seem to think.

But if you get it done yourself, by a passing groundwork contractor, and you later get busted, the only thing they can demand is that you put it back as before.

That’s what I’d do.

rustler
    Free Member

As above, IIRC if the road has a no you have to use an approved contractor who has the relevant Liability Ins, £5m I think but depends on the road. Unclassified I think you just need a permit. This used to be a good earner for my old man, when he worked on the council.

ebygomm
    Free Member

In Nottinghamshire it can only be done by the county, there is no system of permits and approved contractors. Planning permission is required additionally if you’re on a classified road

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/drivewayacrossfootway.htm

Highway stuff is currently contracted out to Ashfield, Broxtowe and Mansfield so if you live in one of these districts you need to get in touch with the district rather than the county council

toys19
    Free Member

I tried to do this to my mrs to ease access but she woulodn’t let me in anyway.

z1ppy

But if you get it done yourself, by a passing groundwork contractor, and you later get busted, the only thing they can demand is that you put it back as before

No, shirely they’d get their approved contractor to put it right, and charge you whatever it cost them… I’d put in for permission.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nore, dropped kepb on its own doe not prevent parking on front of the house. The kerb is there to allow access, but if there is nothing to access i.e. no hard standing in front of a terraced house or a driveway etc , then you can still park there.
    I had issues with a former neighbour who dropped his kerb, but hadn’t removed the wall in front of his house or completed the hard standing, so anyone was able to park there UNTIL his wall was removed and the hard standing completed.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Nottingham City Council has the power to fine people parking in front of a dropped kerb

Don’t park across dropped crossings …That’s the message to motorists if they want to avoid a costly parking fine.

bigyinn
    Free Member

That’s crossings, which you shouldn’t do anyway, not the same as a dropped kerb.

ebygomm
    Free Member

“A dropped crossing is where the pavement, cycle track or verge has been lowered, or the road raised, to help vehicles accessing businesses or people’s driveways and pedestrians and cyclists crossing roads.”

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nottingham city council have the powers to fine and ultimately lift your vehicle if you block either a private dropped access (if there by approval, checking your own in doesn’t count so do seek permission) or public drops such as crossings. They can also fine you for interference with the highway so if you get a naughty one done, it’s not just the cost reinstatement, it could be two and a half k on top!

Also, it needs to-be done through proper channels as there may be a traffic regulation order such as double yellow lines or residents parking which could be affected. If so, the changes to these would be at the applicants expense. If you are notes city rather than county, let me know and I’ll talk you through it.

Spud

Ta, I’m County. In Broxtowe. Was told Notts deal with it all now for them. I was advised to contact Broxtowe in case any sort of planning requirements exist.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lowering kerb stones to ease access’ is closed to new replies.