Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Steel Frame Recommendations
  • outthere
    Free Member

I have a grand to spend and am looking for advice on what to buy. This much I know…….I dont want a complete bike, I want to build something personal. On my budget I am told this may take a little time to get the right things at the right price and I am prepared to wait. I want a steel frame and accept that Reynolds 853 may not be in the budget.

I am new to mountain biking and am mostly riding single track at present.

So what do you recommend.

racefaceec90

was going to recommend a charge duster (until i read your thread) curtis seem to be very well rated by people looking for a custom steel frame http://www.curtisbikes.co.uk/ (i would consider one,myself one day,if i had the cash 🙂

monkeyboyjc

i take it your budget is 1k for a full bike build, so your looking at £150-250 as a frame?
    so something like these:
    onone inbred
    charge blender
    ragley blue pig

Tom83

Evans have Charge duster skinny for £225ish at the moment. Very tempted myself, just to keep hold of in case i build another bike!

outthere
    Free Member

The grand is for the full bike. Quite like the charge duster suggested by racefaceec90. Can strech a little more but its not an umlimited pot! Less than £350 ideally.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

try and get a 2nd or build a new Single speed Singular humingbird or a swift if you like the look of big wheels.

outthere
    Free Member

Single Speed – Sounds a bit hardcore!

danti

I’d look for a decent 2nd hand Cotic Soul.

hambl90
    Free Member

Best steel frame I’ve ridden was a cove handjob.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Second a Cove Handjob, they’re really great frames, come up for about £150 second hand, couple that with some maxle reba’s or similar and some proIIs on flows/arch’s and a decent solid build kit, you can happily come in under a grand if you don’t mind second hand.

Kryton57

Genesis Latitude – massively underated about to get stunning applause in the mbr group test, fantastic bike/frame.

rainbow
    Free Member

I would get the Genesis Latitude frame, very tidy with cable stops and light aswell strong paintwork.

The new Charge Duster, the skinny tubes, I was told it’s not suitable for heavy riders and going off jumps will crack the frame, it’s suitable for light off road riding.

epicsteve
    Free Member

If you’re willing to buy 2nd hand then you should be able to put together a decent Soul for £1K. Mine was built up with mostly 2nd hand bits and cost me about £800 to put together (Coil Pikes, Hope XC/X317 wheels, mixed LX, XT, SLX drivetrain, Deore disks etc.).

outthere
    Free Member

Have not ruled out second hand. Ideally would like new. Short list then is Cove, Soul or Latitude. Soul was recommended by a friend but how often do you see them 2nd hand? Like the Latitude will definately find out more about it. Cove could be the bargain I am looking for if £150.

bangaio
    Free Member

I’d look at the Genesis, Soul and add Dialled Prince Alberts to your list. I gota second hand dialled as I was toying with the idea of a hardtail and just sold my fs frame. I’d get a soul if weight was your primary consideration.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Pipedream Scion like mine here?

£350 for an 853 frame.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Kona explosif frame frame from Charlie the bike monger. Bargainous.

toys19
    Free Member

Get a Cotic. They are the best made and best riding steel frames.

skaifan
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned the orange p7 yet.

outthere
    Free Member

An update…………..initial idea out of the window! Started looking at the different frames recommended, latched onto the Genesis Latitude 10. Tried it and loved it and also got it for an amazing price. Had a ride over the south downs yesterday to break her in. A bit of everything, some single track and downhill and some of the south downs way. Superb bike. No doubts about the decision I made.

Olly
    Free Member

suprised no ones pushing the inbreds.
    nothing fancy as such, but nowt wrong with them, and you can get a complete bike new for a grand, or in the bargins more bike for less

outthere
    Free Member

Looked at the inbreds. Trouble is cant try it out and the spec on the latitude is better.

Earl_Grey

I have a dialled PA and I bloody love it so I’m going to second that recommendation up there ^

StirlingCrispin

Sanderson Breath?
    (I have the Life and it’s amazing – best bike I’ve ridden, and it replaced a snapped Ti-frame).

I’ve also had Inbreds but the build quality always struck me as poor – not a problem with the Sandersons which are superbly finished. That said, if you can pick one up cheap on the classifieds they are a giggle to ride.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I tried out a friends Cotic Soul single speed and it was good so I went and bought the new ‘swapout dropout’ Inbred frame and single speeded it. The whole build cost me about £450 (I already had some bits like brakes and forks) and the bike is so much fun. Personally I prefer it to the Cotic as the steering feels way more precise and planted but that could have been due to the long forks on the Cotic which felt a little sketchy up front. The Cotic maybe had a little bit more life about it but I’m so impressed with the Inbred and it gives you the option of a slot dropout if you want that option for single speeding.

lodge
    Free Member

I’m doing a similar build myself, just ordered a Sanderson Breath as the bikechain are doing them for 200 posted. got a set of new rebas to go on and a slx chainset all new, current spend standing at 440.

willyboy
    Free Member

I quite like my Duster. Its certainly not the lightest frame, but it rides well.

younggeoff

2nd hand soul, I got one for £200 and have never looked back best riding hardtial I’ve ever had bar none and I also have a yoeddy so it’s pretty high praise. it’s just fun to ride and can handle a lot more than I’m capable of riding 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

You should be able to get hold of a second hand Chromag for that kind of money, i have one and it’s the best in my humble opinion.

nedrapier

Brilliant. 9 posts after the OP’s “thanks for all your help, I got a … in the end and it’s great” update, and people still recomending him frames!

nedrapier

Glad you’re chuffed, outthere!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Steel Frame Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.