Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Steel 29er frame, whats out there ?
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Right I've done a few enduros on my alloy 29er and have come to the conclusion that i need something with a slightly more forgiving frame.

I don't want a carbon frame or a full susser as i don't need it and can't afford it as this has to be cheap.

I was thinking of an on-one but they are never bloody well in stock so what other options are there for a cheaper steel frame 29er? I will run it geared but might convert it to singlespeed at some point in the future (not esstential that it will convert) and it can't cost silly money, nothing in the Niner price range !! it also really needs to be able to run 100mm forks.

So over to the STW collective knowledge 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

On One either cromo or Scandium both have the rep for being nice riding, get a long seatpost and a slightly smaller frame. Or a Thudbuster seatpost! They are great!

SSP

fontmoss
    Free Member

ygm

Daffy

Niner SIR9 (steel is real)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I'd recommend trying a steel frame if you haven't already. It may be slightly more forgiving but you might never notice. I've a titanium frame, yes it feels like I've got 2psi less in the tyres but it ain't no sofa ride.

MrTall
    Free Member

I'd second the thudbuster BigSi, i found it made the world of difference on my old trek hardtail that was a bit harsh. I'm trying to get it to work in my hardtail 29er but it just won't shim in properly so far.
    My mate had a steel hardtail recently and never noticed the 'springiness' over an alloy frame and he's 17st+.
    If your Viper takes a 27.2 seatpost (which i'm fairly sure it does) you'd be welcome to try my thudbuster but you'd have to check the maximum weight limits as i think i'm pretty close at 16st and i think you may be a bit heavier than me?
    You should have bought Bonesetters XL Niner – he let it go for £250!!

fontmoss
    Free Member

i think it depends what youve used and what you will be using, some steel frames are flexier (some too flexy) and some find a balance between stiffness for efficiency and flexy fr comfort/tracking. i found a difference going from my 29er alu to steel its not like switching to full suss but bb area was noticeably stiffer and stays notcieably flexier. like everything else, saying one material is better needs to qualified

bonesetter
    Free Member

Banshee Paradox

It's not steel, but is as comfortable as the steel SIR9 I owned. It is 100x more fun than the Niner, handles any kind of terrain you care to throw at it, is snappy under pedaling, and is only £399 brand new

ton

i suggest you get a alloy frame, something like a…………….chumba..

😉

bigsi
    Free Member

Bonesetter, interested to read your Paradox review on MTBR, i might have to speak to Paul2 at Freeborn as they are just up the road from me. Out of interest what seat post do you run as i'm wondering if its my Thomson post thats beating me up 😕

Ton – not looking to change it till the new year i'm afraid 🙁

Fontmoss – cheers for the mail but its too small as I'll be needing an XL/21" but cheers anyway, looks like a nice frame 😀

MrTall – Dont think i can remember the last time i was under 18 stone so the thudbuster/suspension seatpost is a no no for me i'm afraid 😥

bonesetter
    Free Member

It's a Gravity Dropper, so no compliance there at all

Clink

It's not steel, but is as comfortable as the steel SIR9 I owned. It is 100x more fun than the Niner, handles any kind of terrain you care to throw at it, is snappy under pedaling, and is only £399 brand new

I ordered one yesterday!! 😀

dosniner
    Free Member

Salsa dos niner,scandium but with one inch pivotless travel makes a very nice ride.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice one Matt 😀

When's it comin' & did you win your ebay 120 fork?

Clink

Not until November. Didn't get the fork – looks like I'll source a 120mm Reba from the States.

Hammo
    Free Member

I'm selling my medium Kona Unit 2-9 if thats of any interest. Frame and fork, sliding dropout with gear hanger.

Chris

bigsi
    Free Member

What size Hammo ?

Hammo
    Free Member

I think it's a 17-18" anything else wouldn't fit me.

sadexpunk

singular swift. can be either geared or ss.

bigsi
    Free Member

strange you should mention that Sadexpunk as thats the one i keep coming back to 😕

Sam

Assuming the 'big' in your moniker refers to your stature I have good stock of XL frames at the moment (though not much else) and would be happy to do a bit of a deal to move some along. Drop me a mail if you're interested.

This is an XL

Works great with a 100 – 120mm fork.

Sam

sadexpunk

but looks even better with a singular rigid fork 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

I have a Voodoo Dambala which is designed for 80mm forks would probably be ok with 100 mm, I run it rigid. It has sliding dropouts with a gear hanger. The Singulars do look nice though.

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers Sam. I spoke to you after the Brighton Big Dog about the fork travel compatability as i do like the look of the Swift but I'm still a little way off having the funds to be able to get the new frame.

I think I'll be in touch once that changes though as none of the other steel options really float my boat with what i want it for 😛

The Paradox strikes me as more of a play bike than an enduro machine 😕

Sam

Si – mail me. I may have an ex demo bargain for you, seeing as how my new Ti frame's just arrived…

bigsi
    Free Member

Sam – YGM

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Sam YGM

Thanks

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Anyone know if the singular swift can be used with a front mech ie any cable stops for same ?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Bigsi – ask martinh off here what he thought of the Paradox after completing a 100mile enduro event (he said it performed faultlessly btw)

bonesetter
    Free Member

It was the Montane Kielder 100 Martin rode "The frame was incredibly comfortable and handled well"

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Steel 29er frame, whats out there ?’ is closed to new replies.