Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Steel.
  • sherry
    Free Member

What’s better, Tange Prestige tubing or Columbus Zona? Just wondering as one of my friends was is thinking of getting the 2010 Cove HJ but I have the 09 one with Columbus Zona tubing. Didn’t even know it had changed until he told me.

clubber
    Free Member

Didn’t even know it had changed until he told me.

And I’d bet you still wouldn’t if you’d ridden both without knowing that it’d changed.

sherry
    Free Member

Clubber, I agree! I was just wondering if the change was for financial or performance reasons? I’m more than happy with the way my Cove HJ rides.

mrmo
    Free Member

columbus zona.

never been able to get details for Tange tube sets.

I doubt there is much in it to be honest, neither are top end tubesets and both do the same thing.

james-o
    Free Member

prestige is thin wall cr-mo, same as 0.8/0.5/0.8mm 520 or taiwan cr-mo really. Prestige ultimate is heat-treated cr-mo like 725.

not sure about columbus sorry.

but there’s no ‘better’, it’s more about how it’s used and the layout than the badge itself.

sherry
    Free Member

Well that would lead me onto ask what is the best top of the range steel tubing for a MTB?

clubber
    Free Member

Define ‘best’ – lightest, strongest, most corrosion resistant, cheapest, etc….?

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Tange Prestige, Reynolds 853 etc are the most popular for top end steel frames.
    Obviously you can get super lightweight stainless etc but they are far too expensive to justify making and also they create strength and ride quality issues that you just don’t need to get into.
    If you rode a Tange, Reynolds or Columbus tubed frame blindfolded i doubt you would notice the difference, the main thing to look at it how the tubes are used as that will make much more difference to how the frame rides than what the tubeset will.

james-o
    Free Member

‘best’ or most useful to a designer – technically you can do the most with 853 as it has high strength, pre and post-weld. 953 is higher strength but tricky to work with, as well as quite pricey.

I’m not sure about what’s meant by stainless’s ‘strength and ride quality issues’ but i had a 953 CEN-rated MTB frame made and it had a lovely ride feel and a sub 4lb weight in a 19″. tbh very similar to what you can achieve with thin wall steel of a lower strength and cost at 1/2lb more weight.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

And you are forgeting to mention True Temper OX platinum tubing which is also a heat treated air hardening steel like 853.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorry but Yer wrong

its not what steel is best it is how well the frame is made and designed

ie On-one use Pig Iron to good results

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Steel.’ is closed to new replies.