Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Steamroller vs. Crosscheck.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Probably from Charlie The Bikemonger as Irish prices are likely to be plainly silly. So, which one would you choose:
    – I have a set of road fixed wheels
    – I have a set of 135/700c SS wheels
    – I have loads of v-brakes
    – I have Campagnolo Chorus road calipers
    – It'll be used on roads as fixed, there are 5 other bikes for off-road duties
    – I don't/won't race, too lazy for that
    – The roads are poorly surfaced round here so 700X25c Marathon Plus or Conti Gatorskins will be fitted.
    – I'll want a rear rack maybe mudguards.
    Opinions appreciated, really.
    BTW I realise I should be choosing Salsa/Spot/IF/Ragley etc but it's Surly.

ojom
    Free Member

For rack etc then c check all the way.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The rack will only have a top box, no panniers. I can get one that attaches to the seatpost, my mate's used his on the Ring of Kerry ride very happily.

ojom
    Free Member

Cool. That means the roller will do nicely.

ojom
    Free Member

Double

tomlevell

Steamrollers are (were) 120mm spaced at the back.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The new-ish Cruds are fine, in the shop I have loads of roadie mudguards as we look after many a dozen of club riders.
    Before you ask – I can't get the frame through the shop as we don't trade with them. And I trust Charlie (or lads from CycleLogical of Dublin) to sort me out nicely.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Caserrol anyday.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have wheels to fit either.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Had a cross check, weighed a ton.

You could get a fuji track complete for similar money

ojom
    Free Member

My cc weighs tons too but its a commuter with everything on it. Seems fast enough nonetheless.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I don't want a Fuji, built way too many of them for customers, sick of seeing them TBH. Crosscheck or Steamroller it will be.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Well, crosscheck is obviously the most versatile

ojom
    Free Member

I got the cc as it is the most versatile thing we sell. All it needs is disc mounts and it would be elevated to super ace status.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I really like the versatility of the CC but… in this particular case I'm not sure it's welcome. Simplicity over changeability this time should win. Will it?

ojom
    Free Member

Al makes a good point re casseroll…

Andy

C check here. V versatile in a just incase kinda way. And if built in fixie mode the same weight as a Steam roller no?

Plus the ability of the CC to run Cantis or mini-v's and 132.5mm rear spacing over the SR 120 rear spacing swings it for me.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I have a Cross Check and love it. It is massively versatile and I've run mine with flat bars, drops, road wheels and tyres and heavier duty wheels and tyres for mixed on an off road use. Just fitted mudguards for the winter.

I don't think it is actually all that heavy and it rides beautifully. If you are looking to buy a frame that you intend to keep for a long time the versatility of the Cross Check may prove useful.

Hairychested
    Free Member

So, CC for practicality, SR for cheapness of non-upgradability (sp.?). Am I right?

ojom
    Free Member

Aye

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Steamroller vs. Crosscheck.’ is closed to new replies.