Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stealing bike – minor crime
  • crashdummy
    Free Member

According to radio 4 stealing a bike is minor crime. Not sure I’d have agreed after £3k+ of bike was stolen from my shed.

Stoner
    Free Member

context?

was it comparative to all crimes including violent ones, or related to other thefts?

damo2576
    Free Member

Of course its a minor crime in terms of society, think of all the other crimes, gbh, breaking and entering, rape, manslaughter, murder etc?

But of course for you as the victim, no crime is really minor.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d say it was fairly minor too, annoying as **** but minor all the same

tails
    Free Member

As above it is a minor crime to the plod and often dealt with poorly. That’s why I would always advise rough justice in such situations if possible.

billybob
    Free Member

Out of curiosity – where does it sit compared to car crime? More or less?

Personally speaking, my bike is worth more than my car…

uplink
    Free Member

Out of curiosity – where does it sit compared to car crime?

stealing a car?

about the same

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I stole a headtorch and a boiler suit once.

It was a miner crime.

Gutterball
    Free Member

Theft of a bike is a summary offence, almost all other theft is indictable. Surely out of date now.

yunki
    Free Member

As above it is a minor crime to the plod and often dealt with poorly

Often but not always..
    My mate had his Giant Reign nicked in the summer.. I spotted the frame for sale on ebay a month later.. the seller was local and the local old bill were round there the same afternoon..

The frame was recovered.. as was the fork which had already been sold on ebay..

crankboy
    Free Member

“Theft of a bike is a summary offence, almost all other theft is indictable. Surely out of date now.”
    At the risk of being made to look a fool on the Internet, where do you get that from??
    Theft of a bike is an indictable offence capable of being tried i the magistrates or crown courts (either way offence).

The debate on radio 4 was about the suggestion that it should be made summary only (ie only delt with in the magistrates court)to cut the expense of defendants exercising their right to have a jury trial.

user-removed
    Free Member

I pinched a blue sky, an ice cream and some sun tan lotion once. It was a summery offence.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stealing bike – minor crime’ is closed to new replies.