• This topic has 45 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bakey.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Starbucks' venti Grape with Chai, Orange and Cinnamon Hot Mulled Fruit
  • Harry_the_Spider

If you order a drink called that you deserve an early death*.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35593007

Black coffee no sugar for me. Espresso at the weekend.

*you don’t really.

mos

Shocker. Big sugary thing has sugar in it, They’ll be telling us Doner kebabs are full of salt and fat next.

IHN

*you really do

thenorthwind

I’m not shocked to hear a big sweet drink has lots of sugar in it, but…

ONE HUNDRED GRAMS?!*

That’s insane! How sickeningly sweet must it be? Or does it come in a 2 pint cup?

Yes, I’ll keep my black americano, no sugar thanks (though I generally try not to be smug about having the good luck to have a taste for something that’s healthier. Some people don’t like black unsweetened coffee – not their fault. I don’t like cabbage unless it’s fried in butter).

*close enough

scotroutes

590ml actually – a bit more than a pint.

hora
    Free Member

Grape
    Orange
    Cinnamon
    Fruit

If you are in denial and saw all those words you’d fool yourself into thinking ‘hey it must have some goodness’.

I wouldn’t blame the customers too much- it needs education.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They’ll be telling us Doner kebabs are full of salt and fat next.

My pizza had pork belly on it, that’s what makes the world good. I don’t need warned.

nickc

Shocker. Big sugary thing has sugar in it

well quite, but that is a bucket load of sugar for one drink. I think that even the least health concious are aware it’s “not good” but there’s “added” sugar and “pretty much just sugar” that’s the hidden issue here I reckon.

molgrips
    Free Member

Did you know Asda sell Coke in TWO LITRE bottles?!

Shocking!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Weight Watchers were outed a while back when the Starbucks Skinny Blueberry Muffin was found to have less sugar, carbs, fat and salt in than the WW’s one that they tout as totesamazeballs to their subscribing fanboiys

Nico
    Free Member

They should rename it a quarterpounder.

zbonty

25 SPOONFULS!!!

My teeth hurt just thinking about it

votchy
    Free Member

Only a problem if you drink them regularly as with all things, fine once in a while, bad if a daily indulgence!!

maccruiskeen

I’m not shocked to hear a big sweet drink has lots of sugar in it, but…

ONE HUNDRED GRAMS?!*

That’s insane! How sickeningly sweet must it be? Or does it come in a 2 pint cup?

The ‘large’ cups in Costa are so big they need two handles – so yes it sheer quantity as well as the percentage of confectionary and milk to coffee.

I think as I rule I try not to drink anything bigger than my head.

mrjmt
    Free Member

That photo’s in York.

(not relevant to thread)

molgrips
    Free Member

The ‘large’ cups in Costa are so big they need two handles – so yes it sheer quantity as well as the percentage of confectionary and milk to coffee

There isn’t necessarily any added sugar in that. Lattes are available with no sugar or syrup. If I drank a pint of milk would you be castigating me?

slowoldman

If I drank a pint of milk would you be castigating me?

Only if you put 25 spoons of sugar in it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Which I doubt that drink in the photo has 🙂

I should add that the default latte has no sugar added to it. You have to specifically ask for it, or add it yourself. I’m not sure the good folk of STW actually understand that.

scuttler

KFC do mochas – who’d have believed it.

Hot choc with all the jazz and a slice of brownie on the side is an obvious candidate for sugar and lard, but I’ll bet most of the buyers of that Starbucks monstrosity at the top of the table had no clue.

jimjam
    Free Member

Case study: Mark Cresswell from London

“I used to drink a large white cafe mocha with caramel and vanilla syrup, cream on top, caramel and chocolate drizzle at Starbucks – approximately three times a day, seven days a week.

“I did this for about a year. At the time, I knew this drink had lots of sugar and fat, but I wasn’t aware of just how much.

“At one point the assistant manager refused to serve me because they were concerned of the health impact. The rest of the staff continued to serve me.

“I drastically cut back on these sugary drinks after I was diagnosed with a very high cholesterol level and liver problems three years ago.

“I still have high cholesterol now and was recently diagnosed with a fatty liver – which means it is not working properly – not from alcohol but from sugar.

“While I believe we should all take responsibility for our health, I do feel that coffee shops which allow their customers to customise their drinks to extreme levels are not helping.”

Erm. If the assistant manager refuses to serve you……but you continue to go there as other staff will serve you I think you have a problem.

maccruiskeen

Lattes are available with no sugar or syrup.

Off course they are – but if they are added to flavour or sweeten then a lot gets added to because the portion is so big — with lattes in particular because milk is such a big flavour-suppressor. For the same reason a lot of prepared food has a lot of salt in it because were in a habit of having cheese and dairy in it – that makes it bland and salt has to be added to make it taste of something again.

Espressos aside even the smallest portions in Starbucks and Costa and bigger than would be considered large elsewhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

if they are added to flavour or sweeten then a lot gets added to because the portion is so big.

Of course. But I’m simply questioning the tendency to blame the coffee shops for this. Do we blame Asda for selling enough sugar, flour and eggs to make myself a massive cake that I can then eat?

Espressos aside even the smallest portions in Starbucks and Costa and bigger than would be considered large elsewhere.

No they aren’t. Firstly, all that style of coffee shop has large drinks. Secondly, a short latte from Starbucks is 8floz, the same size as a standard mug you’d have at home. A flat white is that size.

However Starbucks does two things that I think are reprehensible without excuse. They do not put the ‘short’ drinks on the menu, so people assume ‘tall’ is the smallest. Even worse, I’ve seen people ask for ‘the smallest’ drink and get a tall, which is flat out wrong and dishonest.

slowoldman

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that the reason most big food businesses use loads of sugar is because their produce tastes shit without it.

I’m off to make myself a cup of Assam.

crazy-legs

“I used to drink a large white cafe mocha with caramel and vanilla syrup, cream on top, caramel and chocolate drizzle at Starbucks – approximately three times a day, seven days a week.

That’s got to be what, £4 each? £12 per day?
    £360 per month on that?!! 😯

rocketman
    Free Member

I used to drink a large white cafe mocha with caramel and vanilla syrup, cream on top, caramel and chocolate drizzle at Starbucks – approximately three times a day, seven days a week.

[quote]I still have high cholesterol now and was recently diagnosed with a fatty liver – which means it is not working properly – not from alcohol but from sugar.[/quote]No shit Sherlock!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m off to make myself a cup of Assam.

Oh go on then, ten sugars in mine please 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

That photo’s in York.
    (not relevant to thread)

Indeed it is.

In a building that used to be Dixons.

(Also not relevant to thread)

ampthill

I found this story quite annoying

I’ve have had one Caramel Latte and one Chia Latte in my time. It was really obvious to me that they were strong sugar solutions so never again. So I’m not surprised that big sugary drinks contain alot of sugar.

The lists I’ve seen online are for the added sugar drinks. The lists don’t seem to contain the non added sugar drinks I actually buy.

So I looked up a Costa flat White which has 10g of sugar. But that is of course not added processed sugar but the sugars in the milk. Costa say this is 12% of my RDA. I also not online that 30g is the RDA for added sugar. What I’d like to know should I worry about my sugar in take from milk, as I suspect that this is where I get most of my sugar intake

So overall I’ve learnt nothing from this story

scuttler

However Starbucks does two things that I think are reprehensible without excuse. They do not put the ‘short’ drinks on the menu, so people assume ‘tall’ is the smallest. Even worse, I’ve seen people ask for ‘the smallest’ drink and get a tall, which is flat out wrong and dishonest

I never knew that. On the odd occasion I have to visit these tax dodging stewbars because somebody else has arranged a meetup there, I’ll make a point of bugging Starbucks about that. I will have been one of those ‘small’ people because I flatly refuse to use their stupid product naming, and tax issues aside blame them for most of the world’s (linguistic) ills.

Gits.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I guess the main thing with the ‘winning’ drink is that it’s a fruit juice, so people may think it’s the healthy option, when it actually has more sugar in it than a chocolate caramel mocha whatever.

molgrips
    Free Member

I never knew that.

Hardly anyone does. You don’t have to bug the poor sods behind the bar though. Just say ‘short latte’ or whatever and you’ll get one.

MrSmith
    Free Member

No they aren’t. Firstly, all that style of coffee shop has large drinks. Secondly, a short latte from Starbucks is 8floz, the same size as a standard mug you’d have at home. A flat white is that size.

yes they are. in speciality coffee shops that are into serving quality coffee (i.e. not starbucks/costa etc) a flat white or latte is normally a 6oz total of milk inc a double shot.
    starbucks is 8-12-16-20 oz of steamed milk for short, tall grande, and venti

Drac

THOSE incredibly sickly drinks you like have sugar in them, it has emerged.

Massive sickly drink with shitloads of marshmallows found to contain sugar

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

My immediate reaction is “no shit Sherlock” until I recalled that it missed a train 6 months ago and bought a latte and caramel shortbread from Costa. Fortunately a mistake I only made once as I checked it out on myfitnesspal – ouch, that is quite a ride to burn that off!!!

franksinatra

I agree with what others have said, it is not the fact that they contain sugar, or even a lot of sugar. It is the fact that it contains 100grams of sugar which is just silly.

jamesfts
    Free Member

What a prat.

molgrips
    Free Member

I went through a phase of drinking 3-4 venti caramel coffee frappucinos a week.

I lost loads of weight, down to 77kg. Ok so I was out of work and doing a lot of riding at the time 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Slightly worried about the circa-millenium generation.

Mad debt seen as the norm, £50 a month iPhone contracts, vapid common sense, entitlement and lack of self control.

We used to grow out of this age 18-20.

There seems to be a (part) generation coming up that readily believes marketing/advertising and has little control of diet.

molgrips
    Free Member

little control of diet

Or bike spending habits…?

hora
    Free Member

Spending money on exercise/healthy equipment is comparable? Yes I know you attempted a quip..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Starbucks' venti Grape with Chai, Orange and Cinnamon Hot Mulled Fruit’ is closed to new replies.