Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Stans no tubes kit and mavic rims
  • MartynS

Specifically xm719….
    I realise I’m a bit late to the party but this tubeless thing is looking more attractive by the day.
    Looking at the stans website it seems to be possible.
    Anyone with any experience of converting these rims to tubeless?
    What problems might I come across?? (If you want to use this as an excuse to repost some of badgers pics then feel free…!)

Ta

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just get a stans valve and a roll of insulation tape. Run the tape round 4 times, then stick the valve in. All done. Fit tyre, bit of sealant, use a bit of soapy water to seat the bead and pump up.

MartynS

Bump for the Monday morning crowd…..
    Any other thoughts or Experiance??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Exact same rims with 2 wraps of Stans Yellow tape, a stans valve and some sealant. Running Ardent EXO’s, HRII EXO’s and Standard Minions.

No issues in 6 months of decent riding.

chambord
    Free Member

Exact same rims with 2 wraps of Stans Yellow tape, a stans valve and some sealant. Running Ardent EXO’s, HRII EXO’s and Standard Minions.

So no rim strip required? Even with the XM719s (Not 819).

I only double check as I have the same rims and keep getting pinch flats (I’m a bit of a lump) and was considering the same conversion (Probably with ADvantages or Ardents also)

orangewinger
    Free Member

I’ve just done the gorilla tape & valve cut from an inner tube route on some Mavic Crosslines. Bit of a pain getting the tyre to inflate with a track pump but seems to work quite well and is a lot cheaper than a rim strip.

The trick seems to be having enough tape in there to increase the internal diameter to create a decent seal, but that is dependent on the depth of the rim.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Two of my bikes come with 719s and both are tubeless. All I’ve done here is to use ordinary electrical tape and a couple of standard tubeless valves.

Job done.

chambord
    Free Member

All I’ve done here is to use ordinary electrical tape and a couple of standard tubeless valves

This is a revelation. I was under the impression I had to spend £50 on a conversion kit.

dantsw13

Stans Yellow tape isn’t “magic” it’s just waterproof tape the right width, to seal the spoke bed. It does work and isn’t that expensive. I have Mavic XM819’s (UST) and crossrides (TLR with a rubber rim strip).

For Hassle free, go to the No Tubes website, put your rims in, and get what it tells you. Yes, you can do it Ghetto, but how sure are you of what you are doing?

The hardest part of tubeless can be inflating the tyres to get the bead to seat. Probably hundreds of threads on here if you do a search.

tomd
    Free Member

I have just converted some XM719s to tubeless. I used rim strips and stans yellow tape as I had some anyway. I would recommend you get the proper rim strips if you’re going to try and convert these rims to tubeless. In my experience the tubeless ready rims I’ve used were fine with just the yellow tape and valves, but the non tubeless ready benefit from usuing a rim strip (eaier to inflate, less chance of tyre blowing off). Oh and watch the videos on the Stans website and follow the advice, it’s very useful.

dantsw13

Stans website suggests this kit

Standard kit

It says you may only need the yellow tape for some tyres, or the rim strip for others. Personally in that case I’d fit the strip.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seriously try it without the rim strip 🙂 compressor and away it goes.

timbur
    Free Member

Air canisters are your friend for seating the bead.
    That’s all I’m going to say.

MartynS

Thought I’d report back…..

Done it.. Got the stans rim strip with valve and sealant. Left the old rim tape in, put stans strip on top of that,spent a bit of time seating it properly, tyre on (spesh pugatory 2bliss) sealant in and pumped up with track pump.
    They don’t seem to be leaking, I’ll see if here sill up in the morning!
    Reckon it took me 10 minutes per wheel.. Might have a go at the other bike in a bit, that’ll be a wrap of tape and a valve… We’ll see how easy that is!!

iffoverload
    Free Member

i used a 20″ tube split down the middle, works too!

SimonR

That’s good news MartynS – just about to try the same thing on some 319s. Fingers crossed 🙂

waveydave
    Free Member

Tubeless is the way forward, i got fed up a few years ago with a spate of ruined races, thorns, pinch flats etc. I tried tubeless with and without specific tyres and it works a treat. My rims are Mavic 717’s and 819’s. Always carry a spare tube though just in case but never had to use it yet. Posts above are good, dont need to spend a great deal of money but probably need time and patience when you first put the tyres and solution together. D

h4muf
    Free Member

Told you it would be okay! 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

What size tyre are people using what 719’s, as there a narrow rim is a nobby nick 2.2 the max without risk of losing air/burping?
    Now that the trails are mucky fixing a puncture isn’t much fun.. muddy hands..horse crap!

poonprice
    Free Member

I’ve just done Gorillia tape method on Stans Flows, it was only £2.50 for a roll which will do several more wheels. Then got some NoTubes Valves with removable cores and cut a tiny slit in the tape for the valve and pushed it through after rubbing a little sealant round the base of the valve.

Tyres went up straight away with a track pump.

I’d try Gorilla tape as its cheap if you have no luck get Stans yellow tape or a rim strip.

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve run 719s tubeless for a couple of years now, using Stan’s rim strips. The only issues I’ve ever had is with brand new folding tyres. Got no compressor, but a decent track pump, but find it difficult to seal new folders. I’ve found just running them with a tube in for a few miles then taking the tube out, they go up fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Goldigger – Member
    What size tyre are people using what 719’s, as there a narrow rim is a nobby nick 2.2 the max without risk of losing air/burping?

Normal Ardent minion 2.35and hr2 2.4 so fat all fine

cakefacesmallblock

2.35 High Roller. No issues.

thomthumb
    Free Member

gorilla tape (2 wraps) on 719 for me.

stans didn’t have the thickness.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Stans no tubes kit and mavic rims’ is closed to new replies.