Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Trail running shoe recommendations?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Not fell shoes

Had Salomons before which were nice but would have liked a bit more waterproofing

BadlyWiredDog

I would’t bother with waterproofing tbh. The water’ll still get in over the top of the shoe and then it’s trapped inside. Or that’s my experience anyway. If you’re happy with the Salomon fit, I’d maybe stick with them. Do they not produce a waterproof-lined shoe btw?

peterfile
    Free Member

Following with interest. My Talon’s a a bit overkill for a run around the woods.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Find my Brooks Cascadia nice and comfy

Jamie
    Free Member

Following with interest. My Talon’s a a bit overkill for a run around the woods.

I use my X-Talon 212s for anything off road. They are just that awesome.

thv3
    Free Member

Recently bought a pair of Brooks adrenaline gtx in the CRC sale, gore-tex and half price, seem good so far.

Chain Reaction link

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do they not produce a waterproof-lined shoe btw?

I believe they do. Or perhaps, still do…I bought a pair some years ago. Excellent for running through wet grass or the likes but anything puddley, not a chance. Once the water gets in, it stays there. Better with a pair of quick-drying shoes and accept that if you’re going to trail run, then your footsies will get wet sometimes.

peterfile
    Free Member

I use my X-Talon 212s for anything off road. They are just that awesome.

Really? Those are the exact ones I have, but don’t really like them for hard trails, but then again i’m a noob so my feet probably just need to MTFU.

They are phenomenal on mountains though, continually surprised at how much grip they have.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Look at the CS Salomon’s – partial liner means your food warms any water that gets in and helps to keep you’d foot warm 😉

surfer
    Free Member

As above I would stay away from waterproof shoes.

I would also stay away from “fell” shoes such as Walsh/Inov8 etc. They are great shoes but really designed for “proper” fells rather than “trail” such as muddy paths/fields/bridleways etc. I would recommend something like the Pegasus or any of the normal “road” shoes but with a grippy outersole that way runs to and from the paths will be comfortable.

Jamie
    Free Member

Really? Those are the exact ones I have, but don’t really like them for hard trails, but then again i’m a noob so my feet probably just need to MTFU.

I avoid too much stone/tarmac based hard stuff, as don’t want to wear the lugs too quickly, but seem fine for everything else.

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry. Everywhere will be nice and boggy soon.

bowie278
    Free Member

Hi James
    Last Christmas I got myself a pair of Adidas Kandia 4 Gore-Tex trail running shoes and they are faultless. Comfy, warm, and waterproof and the sole is remarkable. You can pick them up for a steal now (around the £59 mark) as the Kandia 5 has been released so the 4’s are ‘last years’.
    Hope this helps.

mogrim

I’ve got some La Sportiva Raptors, great shoes. Not at all waterproof, but as pointed out by others I’m not sure that I’d want them to be… It’s not like you get cold feet when running.

dragon
    Free Member

I use Saucony Peregrine3, been mostly used in the Cairngorms, on hard, loose, rocky paths. For that I’ve found them great, the rock plate and cushioning help. I can’t tell you what they are like in mud, I expect OK but nothing spectacular. Not waterproof, but I don’t think that matters for trail running.

Oh they’ll take gaiters as well, although does anyone use them?

stever
    Free Member

Bound to be something in Innov-8s colossal range that suits. If you really want waterproof (don’t think I’d bother): http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/riley.steve_2b2086
    Roclite 295s are a good allrounder: http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/riley.steve_2b2086

NB 101 are cheap as chips if you can find your size.

brassneck

Adidas Kanadia are dirt cheap from Sports Direct and the like and do the job.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Been using some Adidas Kanadia 4 for a couple of years for 100% off road runs. Loads of grip and also been good enough for a few 5 and 10 road/off road races.
    For 50/50 road/off road training runs i usually just wear one of my more road based shoes like Asics Gel Nimbus or Puma Itana2 as they are fine for grip in the dry.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use Sals speed cross 3’s and I’ve 3 pairs. They have been excellent so far and most of my running is off road in forests/woods and the like. They have a super aggressive sole which isn’t robust enough for road running but more than capable of off road. I would recommend them But, BUT, you must try them on first. They do have a lot of cushioning around the heel and that, to some, is uncomfortable but for me they are excellent.
    MrsBouy has LaSportiva Raptors as they fit her feet much better than Sals. I’m about to change one pair of my speed cross and will try out the Raptors,
    As for waterproof, no, GoreTex they are but I like my feet to breathe whether wet or not.

HTH

alanf
    Free Member

Brooks cascadia here too.
    Very comfy and good grip and you can pick up the ‘7’ (currentley 8) at half price from sportsshoes.com
    I’ve got a fresh pair while they’re cheap so when mine are too tired I can go straight to a new pair

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Trail running shoe recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.