Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stans MTB rims and 23c tyres
  • hillsplease

Planning on using tubes – anyone out there doing this and will they pop at 100psi, or am I just being silly?

Yours suspecting there’s only one way to find out

Paul

Onzadog
    Free Member

Have a look at Sheldon Brown and Schwalbe. There’s a table out there that shows tire size against rim width. I run Stan Arch rims on my cross/commuter. It’s a 19mm internal rim. The narrowest tyre I can run is 28mm.

What rims are you running?

hillsplease

Hi Onzadog – many thanks for the note – I’m running the Olympics – all I’m seeking to understand is whether or not I need to strip my existing road wheels to reuse the CXP rims OR – just flog them on and use the MTB bits n pieces I’ve got lying about. i’m also after a 36 hole disc hub – if you know of such a thing lying about…..

Cheers

Paul

Onzadog
    Free Member

The Olympics are too narrow for 23mm tyres. As for the disc hub, pretty sure Hope will have something.

gee
    Free Member

I think you mean the Olympics are too wide to run a 23c tyre?

I think anything narrower than a 30 will be pushing it.

GB

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve managed to run Conti Grand Prix 26″ 1 1/8 tyres on my Stans Crest rims with no problems.

Macavity
    Free Member
    xanboy
    Free Member

The other thing to bear in mind is that a lot of MTB rims aren’t designed to run at high pressures. Magic and DT certainly have upper pressure limits on some of their rims. I’ve seen a couple of MTB rims split when run at high pressures.

mudmonster
    Free Member

My 717’s are fine with Schwalbe durano’s at 110 psi.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Gee, you’re right. Well spotted.

bails

I’ve b been using 25mm tyres on 29er Crests for ages. Stans confirmed that the pressure limits on the rim only apply to tubeless setups.

They’re a tight fit though, I’d also say why 23 and not 25/28?

tk46hal
    Free Member

Crests 29er with 28mm Marathon plus here and up to 100 psi. No problems but sods to get on and off!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve run 23c tyres on my Ztr Arch no probs,

They are only 1.4mm wider than the rims on my road bike.

(I used 23c because its what I had, having a choice I’d go bigger)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sheldons advice on this one appears a bit out.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I tried 28mm Contis on Mavic A119s and got loads of flats. Went back to 35s and no problem.

You might get lucky, but I would doubt it.

If you have some lying around why not just give it a go?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stans MTB rims and 23c tyres’ is closed to new replies.