Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Stand-Up Paddleboards
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Too tall speaks sense – if you look at people like Laird Hamilton or some of the older Hawaiian guys they’d give anything a go.

Can you get short SUP’s?

Apparently so, although despite earlier posts I can’t help thinking he’d have more fun on a normal board in those conditions, but fair play!

Shandy
    Free Member

A dangerous weapon in the wrong hands.. Get a proper surfboard and learn to surf

I actually already have a ropey old surfboard, its pretty rare to get conditions good enough to use it.

could you not use a windsurfing board in the same way for a fraction of the price?.

Some of the newer ones maybe, the old shape ones I can use are useless in the surf without a sail on them.

Depending on how old your kids are, have you considered a kayak (sit-on) instead?

Yeah I have mucked about in a kayak but I get a it of back and I think the SUP will be more fun in small waves. I would like to surf more in the future but I have two young kids so until they are less of a handful I need something I can grab a quick hour on when we’re near the water. If I get a half/full day away I would rather be on the bike.

nick1c
    Free Member

What you should get is dependent on your size, previous experience on surf/skate/windsurf boards, intended use & usual conditions….
    We have 3 – 11’2″, 9’8″ & 8’5″ x 30″. I am 90+Kg & mostly interested in surfing (south coast slack waves). I use the 2 smaller ones the most, but couldn’t have stood on the 8’5″ let alone paddle it to start. Of the boards you mentioned the Drive would be my choice – Magheroarty is a nice wave & it would be OK on the flat. The windsurf attachments can be useful if it’s too windy to paddle.
    If you have no other board experience &/or will be in choppy conditions a lot a wider board (32″+) will help.

jam-bo

Would jumping on a 8ft ish board be too steep a learning curve? surfed for nearly 20 yrs and kayaked a lot.

only really interested in wave surfing, if I want to go for an explore I’d take a kayak.

mossimus
    Free Member

Circle One Bamboo

Is that the same Circle One that have been making surfboards nr Exeter since the 70s – Owned by a bloke called Townsely?

pjt201
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    SUP’s in 8ft waves can been seen on good swell days at these following locations:
    West Wittering (W Sussex)
    K-Bay (Kimmeridge, Dorset)

so about once every three years then?!

jam-bo

so about once every three years then?!

it’d have to be the perfect storm to get a proper 8ft wave at west witterings…

nick1c
    Free Member

Jam bo unless you are a lightweight surf god & only out in clean conditions probably. It’s no fun & knackering falling off all the time. I’d try something around 9’6″ (I fancy an Al Merrick Caddi 9’7″ : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LyUgVXn8hY – but £££).

West Witterings is one of my local breaks & I have never seen it at 8′ unless it was windsurfing weather, head high (3+ft) & clean is all too rare.

GlennG
    Free Member

I would love to see 8ft waves in the witterings that are surf able on a SUP, lived and surfed in the witterings for over 20 years and yet to see it, possibly at kimeridge on the rare days that it works.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Stand-Up Paddleboards’ is closed to new replies.