Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Stand-Up Paddleboards
  • Shandy
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting one of these, there might be a few people on here who could point me in the right direction with regards to shape, length, good brands etc?

I’m 6’3″ and 88kgs, I’m looking for something suitable for a bit of pottering about on flat water, mucking about with the kids, and a bit of surfing when I get the chance.

Any advice welcome, cheers!

kayak23

Why you’d want one of those is beyond me but alas, people seem to want to take the worst parts of kayaking, and the worst parts of surfing and combine them….

Better off asking on Ukriversguidebook
    ukriversguidebook Sea and Surf forum

yunki
    Free Member

I like that this thread is directly below the thread about mental health problems..

EDIT: wooooooooooah Duude that was some kerazey shizm

toys19
    Free Member

I’m in the same camp, looks like a gear maximum, thrill minimum concept..

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I do believe Derkekrides is a bit of an expert on standup paddle boards. Might be worth asking him.

Shandy
    Free Member

Thanks for the link. I can see your point but I don’t have the time for another hobby that takes me away from the family for hours on end. I’m looking for something that everybody can have a bit of fun with for half an hour, either on flat water or in small waves.

TooTall
    Free Member

people seem to want to take the worst parts of kayaking, and the worst parts of surfing and combine them

Yet somehow I totally disagree with you. As a former kayaker, surfskier and more currently longboarder, SUP brings the very best of each world together from where I stand.

Amazingly, people are different.

OP – there is a SUP UK website / forum that is good. The guys that work in Custard Point in Newquay are pretty knowledgeable as well.

scruff
    Free Member

Big Laird likes them.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ignore the naysayers – if it’s good enough for the best surfers and windsurfers in the world then it’s pretty good.

Suggest you pop over here and sign up http://standuppaddlesurf.co.uk/– they are a great bunch and will help you out, loads of boards to choose from – has a Starboard 12’2″ for about 5 years and it’s just like bikes – unless you can afford/carry one for every eventuality, it is a good, all round compromise.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Whatever you do, please get the right size! Me and my wife went on a trip and did some of this. The boards were the same size. I fell over constantly whereas my wife had no problems at all. I lost my pride that day. Basically, it gets really really unstable if you’re taller and your board is too small.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe c’mon guys.. you don’t have to be soooo disparaging soo early on.

Ok, So I’ve got two SUP’s. I’ve been SUP’ing for 4 years now and I really love it. I get the best of both worlds in the surfing department, 1) I can paddle back up wind with ease and 2)catch more waves.

So, I’d recommend you get a 12ft’er with about 35″ width for flat water and if you are into waves get a 10’6 with about 33″ width. Obviously there are differences in hull shape depending on dicipline, the longer and wider the board the more flat water related, shorter and (sometimes) thinner with a bit of rocker for surf.

I’ve used my 12’er in waves and it’s been excellent for catching 1ft through 4 ft waves, it’s a bit big for sharp turns but then it’s more of a cruising plat board so that’ll explain that then. The 10’6 is used in more waves 1-8ft but getting into a 8ft’er can mean going gungho and is not recommended for novices, anything under 4ft’s a giggle though.

There are lots of models around, depending on your budget and brand ideals. Starboard make one of the most comprehensive ranges and windsurf/surf shops will stock them so you can look and feel them. Robin Hood Watersports is a huge warehouse that stocks them and has a mahooosive online presence.
    There are many manufacturers these days, lighter materials and better manufacture proceses mean cheaper models and if you are looking at the lower end with out compromising too much then there are some great boards for C£400 and range well upto C£1500, all depending on your budget.

It’s a laugh a minuite SUP’ing. Huge following, hope these links help you.

SUP UK Forum
    Robin Hood Watersports
    2XS (local to me watersports shop)

gazc
    Free Member

had an amazing day paddle boarding on a crystal clear lake in new zealand. only time i’ve done it but i’d happily do it again – amazing watching the bottom of the lake/fishes underneath you as you glide by stood up on the water, really relaxing/chilled out 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Wrong evil things an infestation in the line up. Just say no.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

I’ve got one (6’4” 100kgs) its a starboard 9’8” with about a 30 width and 140 litres.

Bought it off the bay a couple of months ago.

Its quite tippy but ok when glassy. Only take it out when its pretty small and not big enough to surf – also when its uncrowded. Its a lot of fun good to be on the water with that point of view.

Looking forward to summer evenings paddling around the gower.

Shandy
    Free Member

Thanks very much folks, log-in is pending for the SUP UK forum.

I think a 12 footer sounds about right, good for flat water and smaller waves until I get the hang of it.

I doubt I’ll find many lineups in Donegal but if I do I’ll try and find a grown-up to tell me what the craic is with protocol.

carlphillips
    Free Member

SUP’s in (proper)8ft waves in the uk….. I would like to see that…

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Too fat and useless even on a longboard? Get a SUP and really dominate the line up! Until someone stuffs your £250 carbon paddle up your arse.

Oh, and around £1k for a board – bargain.

Not my thing really. 😉

Shandy
    Free Member

Just to reiterate for all the budding Dead Presidents on the forum, I AM NOT INTENDING TO USE THIS BOARD FOR WAVE SURFING IN A LINEUP. Take your repressed anger elsewhere, or grow a pair and discuss your feelings with the people who actually cause them in real life.

Circle One Bamboo
    Nash Nalu
    Surftech Laird
    Surftech Wingnut

Any of these particularly good?

I am a bit suspicious of anything with a mast hole for windsurfing, are they too much of a compromise? They’re cheaper but I have access to a couple of old windsurfers anyway.

headfirst
    Free Member

There are infact

many lineups in Donegal

It’s one of the most wave-rich coast-lines in all of Europe! And there’ll be plenty of surfers there too…Bundoran sells itself as Surf City.

Shandy
    Free Member

I am talking about the Dunfanaghy area here. There is great surfing when the conditions are right, but its not particularly often compared to the likes of Bundoran. A lot of the time the waves aren’t that big at all, hence the occasional surfers that I see are usually sitting in their cars looking a bit disconsolate. Unless all the surfers have been hiding every time I’ve walked the dog for the past 20 years I don’t think I’ll be in anyone’s way.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ive paddled one up an estuary once, it was quite nice. they suck for surfing though.

kayak23

they suck for surfing though

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcuw4xGLaNk[/video]

Mind you, I still maintain that they are largely pointless. I mean, he has a paddle in this video but he certainly doesn’t need it. The purity of man and board has gone..
    Its a bit like doing tricks holding a stick. Impressive, but useless.
    No, kayaking is the way forward… 😀

derekrides
    Free Member

uphillcursing – Member
    I do believe Derkekrides is a bit of an expert on standup paddle boards. Might be worth asking him.

I am, and there is a simple self test you can take to decide if you’ll like them.

Do you like lycra, ride in SPD’s, ride single speed, or ride a road bike and test yourself constantly using Strava?

If you answered positively to any of those, then SUP is perfect for you, enjoy…

Shandy
    Free Member

Apart from the Strava thing I’m sorted.

Danny79
    Free Member

I would have thought alaia boards were the single speed bikes of the surf world 😆

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Take your repressed anger elsewhere, or grow a pair and discuss your feelings with the people who actually cause them in real life.

Great response 😀

FWIW – I’ve been surfing for years and am definitely SUP curious for flat days and a bit of inland cruising.

I suspect the haters on here are the same folk who get miffed at longboarders for “stealing all their waves” when they’re scrabbling around on the inside on boards which are plainly not suitable for the conditions… but on the other hand wouldn’t consider trying something with a bit more volume because it’s not ‘core.

Horses for courses, I wouldn’t take a shortboard out if it was 1ft or a longboard out for overhead days same as I wouldn’t take my singlespeed to the alps or a full sus to Thetford.

bikebouy
    Free Member

SUP’s in 8ft waves can been seen on good swell days at these following locations:
    West Wittering (W Sussex)
    K-Bay (Kimmeridge, Dorset)
    Just off Burgh Island near Bantham (Devon).

To name just 3 places me and my mates go.

Often used tool for the job is either 9ft’ers or 10’6’s..

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I suspect the haters on here are the same folk who get miffed at longboarders for “stealing all their waves” when they’re scrabbling around on the inside on boards which are plainly not suitable for the conditions… but on the other hand wouldn’t consider trying something with a bit more volume because it’s not ‘core.

Just because you caught the wave before everyone else on a barge with a huge paddle doesn’t mean you are a better surfer.

Oh, and my quiver goes from 10ft barge to 6ft quad fish with a few in between. No size “issues” here.

bigblackshed

I longboard in small surf, I just don’t have the stones for the big stuff. Had a go on a Bic SUP last summer in 1ft mushy waves. My youngest son jumped on at the same time. Really good fun. Best half day hire for a long time.

Shandy
    Free Member

Naish Nalu 10’10” AST
    Circle One Heritage 11′
    Starboard Widepoint 10.5′, Drive 10.5′, 11.2′ Blend

If anybody knows anything about any of these brands or boards I’d appreciate your opinion. Still waiting to have my login improved on SUP forum!

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Depending on how old your kids are, have you considered a kayak (sit-on) instead?

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Depending on how old your kids are, have you considered a kayak (sit-on) instead?

headfirst
    Free Member

Shandy,

Naish is definitely the premium/coolest brand from the three there – Robbie Naish is a boyhood hero!

There’s a wave just like this near Brighton, can’t tell you exactly where… 😉

Martin.B
    Free Member

If SUP get you in the water and riding waves on an otherwise small day then I say go for it

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Just because you caught the wave before everyone else on a barge with a huge paddle doesn’t mean you are a better surfer.

Eh, I may be mistaken, but I don’t think I made any claims about being a better surfer??? I’m just saying there’s a case for the right tool for the job. Anything that gets you in the water and surfing is good, surely?

Oh, and my quiver goes from 10ft barge to 6ft quad fish with a few in between. No size “issues” here.

Glad to hear it, but you are the one who started to moan about longboarders in the first place 🙄

jam-bo

WOuldnt mind a go on one but they seem extremely expensive for what is in effect just a large surfboard.

cloudnine
    Free Member

A dangerous weapon in the wrong hands.. Get a proper surfboard and learn to surf

mr-brightside
    Free Member

why are they so expensive? could you not use a windsurfing board in the same way for a fraction of the price?. (not that i want one as im happy with my kayak)

jam-bo

Get a proper surfboard and learn to surf

And foamies and longboards are any safer?

Can you get short SUP’s? Sure I saw one at widmouth last summer, the guy was ripping.

TooTall
    Free Member

I love the ‘proper’ surfing and ‘kayaking is the best’. A bit like the 29er haterz. Be a waterman, do many things, enjoy them all. I’ve surfed, kayaked, bodyboarded, surfski’d, scuba dived and sailed to varying degrees of success – all variations of being in or on the water and all good in their own right and their own place. Just because you are too limited (in mind or ability) to appreciate something different it does not give you a higher station in life. Unless ‘up your own aerse’ is a higher station.

Get over yourselves and get in the water and give waves away to others. You might end up a nicer person.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Stand-Up Paddleboards’ is closed to new replies.