Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Stainless Steel repair? Badly need help!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Just gone under the sink and noticed the pull out drawers had some water in. On further inspection there’s a bloody pin hole in the sink!
    Firstly what could have caused it? Could it have been attacked by something. There’s nothing we can think of that’s in our kitchen to form such a perfect small hole! It literally is the size of a sewing needle.
    Secondly can it be repaired?
    It was a bloody expensive franke sink and drainer, its huge and I would be concerned as to whether it’d be new sink work top etc etc!

bencooper
    Free Member

I’d silver-solder a patch on…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Some impurity in the steel caused galvanitic corrosion maybe? Do you have a receipt, check guarantee,

d45yth
    Free Member

You could put some ‘chemical metal’ on the underside of it (like fillers for metal). Although I only use that for a temporary fix, then try and claim for a new sink.

paladin

Epoxy 😀

maccruiskeen

Something soldered on the back should be fine. Its not under pressure so a patch of pretty much anything on the back will be fine, I bet even gaffer tape would work.

We had a similar tiny hole appear in a copper pipe in my folks house. Just a grain of some impurity or other that disolves or corrodes over time. In our case the the tiny pin-prick of material took 30 years to dissolve – waiting until we were on a fortnights holiday to finally breech and totally xxxx the house. We came home to fritzed electrics, unsalvageable carpets, collapsed ceilings – the whole works.

juanking

Just used some of this stuff to patch our cast iron gutters. Seems pretty awesome so far..

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/plumber?product_id=681

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s got a “lifetime” guarantee. I can’t patch it from underneath as it has the big black sticky patch under it that strengthens the sink. How do I post a pic again? Got a Flickr account but on mobile.

wwaswas

I think that sticky black Stuff is to reduce noise, not add strength. Removing a bit around the hole and using a patch of Araldite to fill it should be fine.

leffeboy

If it’s got a lifetime guarantee then phone the manufacturer. Once you’ve messed with it the warranty is probably invalid. Use a basin for now

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Ct01 sealant its the dogs!!! Goes off under water!!! Or tec seal duct sealant sets like concrete and we use on ss and galv to seal joints in ducting and water washes for spray booths. Can be removed easily for “warranty” issues.

footflaps

I bet even gaffer tape would work.

My bath developed a 20″ crack and I held it together with Duct tape for a couple of years before finally replacing it. Amazing what that stuff can fix.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh for christ’s sake wrightyson, what kind of a fanny are you? Just put some duct tape over the hole. It’ll be fine. Check drawer weekly. When drips re-appear, replace duct tape. If you want to be professional about it, maybe use two strips instead of one – running in opposite directions. 😀

singlecrack
    Free Member

drill it out and put a bolt with rubber washers either side ..hth 😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or…following on from singlecrack’s idea, drill it out to the size of a plug hole and buy a spare plug. Leave it in permanently.

singlecrack
    Free Member

and then put a second waste outlet and plumb in … jobs a good-en

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sounds like you could plumb an…

…INSINK-ER-ATOR

…in. Ideal excuse.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just read out the extra plug idea, how the mrs loves single track advice 😆
    Always used bleach! And the hole looks like its got others developing around it.
    And yes darcey it already had a lovely square of Jaffa tape over it 😆

Inbred456
    Free Member

If it has a warranty then get the fitter or company that fitted it to make good. That includes repair or replace sink and refit worktop etc. Don’t p!ss around with repairs get the company to sort it.

geoffj

If it has a warranty then get the fitter or company that fitted it to make good. That includes repair or replace sink and refit worktop etc. Don’t p!ss around with repairs get the company to sort it.

I’d bet that not using bleach was in the instructions and so warranty will be void.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nor was washing your drawing compass collection eh wrighty? 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Errr, i’ll be the fitter then!
    I’ll be ringing old franke in the morning.
    On further inspection it looks like there could be “other areas” about to fail!
    I’ve already had a bollocking off the mrs darcey for accusing her of stabbing the sink when breaking ice up for her g and t’s!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

She has an ice pick… What was that film again?

RUN!!!!!!

Edric64
    Free Member

Trotsky wouldnt be safe in your house then with an ice pick around

tomlevell

The man from Franke can reweld it and polish so you can’t see it. Apparently he can cut out the entire bowl and refit a new one and polish it to the point you can’t tell.
    No idea how much they charge mind as it was a faulty new sink unit he came to repair on site for me.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of not using bleach on a stainless sink. Next thing we’ll have to water the fairy liquid down in case it eats through the bowl. 😯

dragon
    Free Member

You’ve corroded it. Stainless steel corrodes via pitting when exposed to chloride which bleach has in it. Saying that you must have been leaving fairly neet bleach for long times on it for it to happen I’d guess. Not sure you’ll get a warranty claim on corroded stainless but probably worth a try.

Fairy liquid has salt in it so not good to leave on stainless either. , clean sink, rinse, dry then no problems.

russ295
    Free Member

Do you use a plastic inner bowl?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Stainless Steel repair? Badly need help!’ is closed to new replies.