Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stainburn on Saturday….
  • stumpy01

….finally went to erm….attack (ha ha) the trails at Stainburn….here’s a run down of the day (sorry if I gon on a bit):

– meet mate at McD’s just outside Doncaster, grab brekkie and then continue up to Stainburn.
    – Park up and only one or two cars in car park……get kit ready, have a nervous laugh about falling off and breaking body parts before trundling off down the red route as advised for a warm up….

The red route was a great little trail (although shorter for some reason than I thought it was going to be). Couldn’t get round that root/stump/rock tight corner a little way round. While trying to decide how to best attempt it a chap comes along on a HT, tells us he never knows how to get round it, then proceeds to endo and swing the back round before carrying on his merry way….nice work…..we suspect some people ride up and over the rock, but weren’t really up for trying that so early on in the day (hmmm). The rock garden was great as I always struggle through them, but a few practice goes and a bit of pace had it despatched.
    After a couple of laps we decided to do the descent line and halted at the drop-off, tried to decide whether to roll it or not and then decided to take the easier chicken run option, which was still a bit jiggy to be honest. Rolling the drop didn’t look too bad apart from the transition back to the trail – it looked like it had the potential to chuck you over the bars.
    We ended up on the black run, which was absolutely fantastic – just what we were after. Challenging sections, that made you really think and committ. Lots of sections we weren’t happy about doing, but lots that we were. What impressed me was the climbs that were as equally challenging as the descent bits. There were some sections I was sure I wouldn’t do on approach, but then just rolled through with some great satisfaction. We hovered around the Cole Chute (I think it was called that) with the grippy North Short entry and minced about deciding whether to have a go. I rode the wooden bit a couple of times, but couldn’t committ to the rock section – perhaps next time!

We met a guy with a shovel, a young lad and a black dog who chatted to us for a while. We didn’t get his name, but he was obviously a big part of the construction/plans for the place and it was nice to speak to someone about it all – we had inadvertently taken a wrong line around an obstacle that was mentioned on here a while ago as being a problem. People mince round things (like we were doing) and in doing so cause that ‘path’ to be the obvious one, then the more people use it the more it gets ‘obvious’.

My only accident of the day was on the climb back up the hill….about 2/3 of the way up there’s a rock you have to ride over. Just on the other side of it, there’s a smaller rock and my front wheel decided to stop dead on it. I slow-moed through the air and rotated about my front wheel. Ended up with goolie-stem contact and quite alot of expletives. Also mangled wrists trying to avoid face/rock interafce. What a tit!

From there we went to Lee Quarry…..it was cloudy, dank, windy and quite foreboding. By this point we were pretty tired and I wasn’t feeling too keen on giving it the beans. A lot of the technical sections on the black are quite precarious and so I kinda tottered around. It was quite a detour for not a lot of riding, but I can see it being a good venue if you are close to the area.

mark_b
    Free Member

We met a guy with a shovel, a young lad and a black dog who chatted to us for a while. We didn’t get his name, but he was obviously a big part of the construction/plans for the place

That would be SingletrActions esteemed President in his natural habitat 😀

ajf
    Free Member

We met a guy with a shovel, a young lad and a black dog who chatted to us for a while.

That is a clever dog!

ton

After a couple of laps we decided to do the descent line and halted at the drop-off, tried to decide whether to roll it or not and then decided to take the easier chicken run option, which was still a bit jiggy to be honest. Rolling the drop didn’t look too bad apart from the transition back to the trail – it looked like it had the potential to chuck you over the bars.

cake walk 😉

stumpy01

lol @ ajf…..!

next time I think I am determined not to mince around so much. But it’s easy to say that now. It’s a bit different when actually having to ride it.
    I was quite pleased with what I did ride, considering my normal trails are Thetford with no rocky/technical bits to speak of.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We hovered around the Cole Chute (I think it was called that) with the grippy North Short entry and minced about deciding whether to have a go. I rode the wooden bit a couple of times, but couldn’t committ to the rock section – perhaps next time!

looks easy in this pic doesn’t it?

simonm
    Free Member

its the rocky bit after that picture (where the photographer is stood) that is tough.

ton

that photo tells big fat fibs….. 😀

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

That was me you talked to. Nice to meet you. I have a habit of wandering through the woods with tools, more often a slasher and/or pruning saw. No wonder some people don’t talk to me 😉

Glad to hear you had such a good session, sounds like you were getting it. As I said, come back soon for a second go and more of it will “drop into place”. So much is just about a positive state of mind and staying relaxed.

The drop / roll on the Descent Line is easier (IMO) than the Slab on the Boulder Trail. Rolls veery smoothly and little chance of an OTB. Still, we each have our personnal trail demons 😉

Glad you liked the climbs as well. Good rides should have both IMO 🙂

Pook

stainburn:

Fun fun fun

stumpy01

That vid was up the other week and is well amusing!

cheekymonkey, nice to meet you too…..we are already sizing up another day for a visit. Just the 2 and a half hour drive each way that is a bit of a pain in the backside. HA HA……the slab….well, there’s another on the to do list. It doesn’t look too bad apart from the turn into it…..I don’t know…..as we were saying it’s all in the head.

B.A.Nana shame on you for posting that pic. It makes it look almost flat. I could barely stay on my feet walking down the planking. At least it’s nice and easy to scramble off to the left of the obstacle – haha.

Chase
    Free Member

Stumpy, there is another line off that planking – drop off the left hand side part way down it. It’s much more fun than the rocky exit.

simonm
    Free Member

Cheeky is right, slab is harder than the roll/drop on the descent line.. which is mucho fun btw.
    I like the jump in the trail after the northshore section, just fun, nothing hard or to big..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stainburn on Saturday….’ is closed to new replies.