Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • King Headset scoring: fact or myth?
  • nickc

I don’t understand why this affects CK headset only, as all headsets use some sort of adjustable washer to centre the steerer, CK use an o-ring, other’s use a wedge. There’s essentially no difference. If anything, you’d expect the wedge expander to do more damage, as it’s metal, and the o-ring that CK use is soft rubber.

richc
    Free Member

the metal wedge holds the steerer firmly in place, whereas the o-ring can be squashed out of the way and this play causes the scoring as the steerer comes into contact with the headset cups (alledgely).

nukeproof
    Free Member

I’d like to know what is being defined as ‘scoring’ as some photos I’ve seen of the alleged damage look more like rubbing as opposed to gorges in the metal. My Revs might have lost a bit of finish on the steerer but they are not scored by my definition.

nasher
    Free Member

It happened on my pikes and my friends Fox 36.

What annoyed me most was the creaking, and my pikes had avery deep groove.

However I had one on my road bike with a carbon steerer…..no problems at all.

It seems the problems lie with long travel suspension forks, there was a thread somwhere on MTBR saying that the design and tight tolerances of the CK headset does not allow for any ‘give’ hence the scoring.

BTW I used other headsets and no problems.

nickc

there was a thread somwhere on MTBR saying that the design and tight tolerances of the CK headset does not allow for any ‘give’ hence the scoring.

whereas the o-ring can be squashed out of the way and this play causes the scoring as the steerer comes into contact with the headset cups (alledgely).

these two posts are suggesting that the issue is that CK simultaneously have too much, and too little “give” which makes me think that the problem isn’t well understood?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yes, Yes, Alu 150mm ‘zocchi Z1 FR1s

Yes, Yes, Alu 130mm Pace RC41 XCAM

HeatherBash
    Free Member

No – marking yes, but only cosmetic
    Yes and I always face the fork crowns too.
    Used on a 6 yr old Bullit that’s been chucked down everything and with 5 different forks / steerer types (from Alu SC130mm QR to steel 170mm Triple Clamp bolt thro) No issues…

Del

If I was really worried about this I’d go out to the garage and strip one of my five

but how many of your bikes have ‘long travel’ forks Dibbs? i do understand they might be ‘long travel’ compared to what you used to ride, of course 🙂

nickc

Has anyone seen a credible article describing the “failure”? Not talking about stuff on MTBR, but proper 3rd party reviews?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I agree with nukeproof “scoring” tends to give a completly false impression of what appears to be cosmetic marking.

nasher
    Free Member

Although I had ‘scorin’ well actually a groove, but the worst thing was the creaking!

now I am not saying the problem is CK but the fact is that when i used another headset the creaking went.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

Faced headtube, 170mm 66RC (steel steerer), no scoring after 4 seasons use including 3 seasons DH racing.

Faced headtube, 120mm Marathon XC (alu steerer), no scoring after 18 months fairly heavy alpine use.

I would suggest that most of the headsets had been poorly installed, but on reflection I think a lot of people simply don’t tighten them enough. When I try other people’s bikes, I often find the forks “slop around”. I always think there should be a very small amount of resistance. Anyway, right or wrong I set up all my bikes like this and I’ve never had any problems.

solamanda
    Free Member

I’m yet to be convinced that this issue actually causes a risk of failure, so far I’ve only ever seen one photo of an alleged CK induced failure.

Failure isn’t the only annoying thing about the poor design. Once your steerer wears (mine did about a mm) you cannot get it to stay tight, it will always go loose. Also you’ve just put a worrying mark on a pair of valuable forks, effecting their resale value.

Why should anyone accept a badly designed, over priced headset that doesn’t have better sealing than most others?

sq225917
    Free Member

1. you aint tigthening your headset enough, there should be no rock.
    2. crap is getting in the gap, do you jetwash?
    3. you steerer is too flexy or undersized, fox forks, rock shocks.

richcc
    Free Member

Gave the bike a bit of love today and found scoring on my steerer tube. Cotic Soul with Magura Phaons.

So what is the consensus – is the scoring something to worry about – stress razors leading to a risk of the bars falling off or not?

dasnut
    Free Member

oh overpriced CK tat not as great as they say shocker
    any views on the BB yet? 😉

its all because you don’t replace the rubber o-ring every year you know (as stated in CK documentation I believe)

dasnut
    Free Member

and to add to that, if you are bothered, or worried, sell your CK tat on “the bay” and buy another brand that doesn’t do this – correctly adjusted or not (cane creek, hope etc.)

Fluff66
    Free Member

My old air pikes – recently removed. I assumed when I saw the groove that it was my fault ie that I must have run 'em with headset loose. The groove is quite deep. Easily deep enough to feel with your fingers

My TALAS 36s. Fitted vs a Cane Creek headset for 4 rides. Just spotted this today

Which worried me enough to whip off the brand new coil Pikes I fitted just over 2 weeks ago. Same again

I've also had this happen on a pair of Z150s a few years back now and assumed then as I did with the air Pikes that it was my fault and I must have ridden with HS loose at some point.

Upper race of CK is coming off before next ride.

mrmo
    Free Member

yes
    yes
    80mm Magura Ronins.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yes,
    Yes,
    125mm fox Vans, 145mm Nixons, 140mm Pikes.

Worst on the nixons where it was very easy to feel a slight depression, only just detectable by feel on the pikes and cosmetic on the Fox.

Fluff66
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone who has posted here has actually emailed CK about this and got a response??

thomthumb
    Free Member

got it from an on one headset. but the bearings had gone rusty! 😳

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

10yrs+ combined use on range of forks (100-160mm), steel and ally steerers, no scoring.

It obviously DOES happen though so maybe its an individual tolerance issue. I love my CK's but I would be as p1ssed as the haters if one trashed an expensive pair of forks.

uplink
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection ❗ ❗ ❗

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Cane Creek 110, prevents all those scoring issues.

sillyoldman

Yes
    Yes
    Rigid carbon fork with Alu steerer.

Friend of mine machines off the bearing seat and puts a small recess into the race so that the compression ring from an XLII fits – no more rock, and no more scoring.

Nice bearings, but bad design to avoid patent payments to Cane Creek.

Fluff66
    Free Member

Missing photos from earlier post if anyone is interested

TALASs

Air Pikes

Brand new coil Pikes 🙁

mattster
    Free Member

This thread is over a year old, in that time have anyones fork steerer failed because of this scoring?

khani
    Free Member

Dunno, but ck have introduced a split taper ring for 2011, which if there was no fault with the old design beggars the question why?

sillyoldman

And times nicely with the lapse of the patent…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

well a rubber o-ring centering the steerer was always a superior design to the split ring… apparently..

gee
    Free Member

I guess the old fault only developed with long travel forks. I have 5 King headsets fitted to XC bikes, one being 12 years old, and I've never had this issue develop.

GB

snowpaul
    Free Member

Yes – 80mm fork / 100mm fork all developed the scoring on alloy fork steerers – headset creaked – shame as the bearings are just superb and last years – hope the wedge design is retro fittable?

paul

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A couple of guys tested why King bearings last, they said it's not because they are any better but as a consequence of that rubber o-ring offering some give. Good side effect of a not so good design?

gee
    Free Member

Strange. All the years I've used Kings and this has never happened. And that's with modern 100mm XC forks, racing quite a lot.

hora
    Free Member

On some forks yes but thats due to badly fitting the headset AND not revisiting the preloading after you've fitted for the first time to check and reload.

Plus I'd rather die in flames than ride a FSA or Hope headset.

Sorry, we stylish ones suffer for our superior class. Sniff.

martinxyz
    Free Member

If a king headset hasnt been checked for years then its quite common to find the o-ring worn.. even on short travel bikes.doesnt have to be over 150mm. the worst ones have big worn down flats on the o-rings.
    removing the 0-ring and flipping it over if you can get it to stay in that position is a free fix that doesnt take too long.not the answer to it but worth doing if you have to refit that thrashed o-ring.

Scout
    Free Member

Have you had the headset scoring the fork steerer tube?
    Did you have the headtube faced before installation?
    Did this occur on a steel or aluminium steerer?

I currently have 2 bikes running Chris King headsets.

On one of the bikes I have had the fork scored by the headset.

My headtube was already faced.

The scoring occured on a aluminium steerer.

The scoring has not occured on my other bike. The scoring does not bother me in the slightest, and I'm sure other headsets will cause the same mark.

retro83
    Free Member

and I'm sure other headsets will cause the same mark.

Really? Never seen it from any other headset.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘King Headset scoring: fact or myth?’ is closed to new replies.