• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nathb.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stages Power meters – have they improved?
  • flange
    Free Member

I need a new powermeter, looking at Stages as its about the cheapest and I just want to use it for road racing (I have power on the turbo which is where I do most of my speed work). Have stages sorted their issues out now, or should I factor in that it’ll be returned every month or so?

Is there anything better for circa £500?

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve had mine over 18months and its been fine.

i never really go out in the wet with it.

and in winter its on my turbo bike indoors.

my mates been through about 5 though…customer services have been great with him though.

shaggy

A colleague went through this at the end of last year. He decided they were reliable enough now, and his has been fine. His only complaint is he doesn’t like the single-sided nature of it.

flange
    Free Member

Cool beans – looks like I’ll be buying one of them then!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’d rather pay a bit more & get something fit for purpose.

No offence, but something you can’t take out in the rain & is only one sided sounds cr@p to me.

I bought a Quarg, ok it’s more than the Stages but it’s 2 sided & bomb proof. Ridden it all winter & no problems. Fingers crossed it’ll continue to be excellent

djglover
    Free Member

I bought a second hand one for £330. It did develop the battery issue. Stages replaced it with a brand new one, which is working OK.

Its only been a couple of weeks on the new one, but service wise, you cant argue with that!

Having said that, I am upgrading my groupset to Dura Ace so I’ll be getting the BePro pedals which are £418, and selling the stages

Haze

Rubbish, I’d not buy another.

Second generation unit after Stages replaced the 1st gen, needs to be bought indoors after every wet ride and left by radiator with battery out and cover off otherwise the battery dies overnight and/or wacky calibration readings.

It’s even displayed this behaviour using a fresh battery without seeing a drop of rain, I’m told this may be down to humid air in a cold garage.

Sure support have been great, they’re quick to respond and I’ve been given new battery doors and seals. We currently have another ticket open and going through the drying out process again.

Unreliable and massively frustrating when you go out to train to find you don’t have the power data you need.

My Rotor Inpower is stored in the same location, sees as much foul weather but has none of these problems.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

never had a problem, had gxp mtb and dura ace road – both gen1

iain65
    Free Member

I’ve used one for 6 months on an xx1 eagle setup and it’s been great – stable consistent readings as long as you calibrate it each time, battery life is a bit rubbish at around two months but it’s not the end of the world.

eskay

Have had several, support is great if you have any problems and I have now got one that seems to be working great (and has been for a long time). Never had to bring it inside, is always left in the garage.

Latest firmware seems to have improved battery life, currently at 6 weeks on latest battery.

matt-lewis
    Free Member

My Cannondale Si one has been excellent. Excellent battery life. I keep my bikes indoors though and raced the cross season with mine own- not a problem.

Just keep your bikes indoors.

matt

STL

Mixed bag, (first gen type) – the one on my ‘winter’ bike 105 crank has been fine – wet doesn’t seem to bother it. The Dura Ace one (‘summer bike’) is currently with Stages as the door busted again, with possible additional damage inside. Dura Ace one will be sold as soon as it comes back – looking at other options, fingers crossed the 105 is OK in the long run.

curto80
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you go 4iii precision?

Same concept with no evidence that I can see of the sort of water ingress issues Stages seem to have.

I got the ultegra one last month for just north of £400.

breninbeener

I have a Gen 2 xt Stages on my tourer…its been fine for over 6 months

Seamus
    Free Member

4iiii user too, similar price to stages, run through this winter with no issues and appears accurate relative to my other (different make)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Now on my 4th replacement in just over 12 months. First one (gen 1) had the battery drain issues that was replaced with a brand new gen2. This worked flawlessly until around November last year when I started to get dropouts and out of whack calibration readings. This was replaced with what looked like to me a referb (it had March 14 stamped on the crank arm) and straight away I had issues with it. Now I could handle the battery draining issues by taking out the battery whilst I wasn’t using it. The main problem was the dropouts. Trying to keep in certain power zones when on the turbo was a wast of time, I’d be doing 360w during a VO2 effort when all of a sudden my cadence would go from 100 to zero along with my watts. Really infuriating! I ended up placing my Garmin underneath my cranks to prevent this, hardly ideal 👿 When the TT season started the dropouts got worse, I couldn’t use it to pace my efforts at all. After much toing and froing they agreed to replace it with a brand new unit. Still early days with this one but the battery drain isn’t there and I’ve only had one “iffy” moment with the power readings (although it was a cold morning and a few people said they had issues with their pm’s)
    If I had the cash I’d get rid of it and get a quark, I know several people who’s had them out in all weathers and been bulletproof.

DT78
    Free Member

I have 2 gen 1s and a general 2. All have been fine, and one did 140 miles on last summers solstice for a ride to the sun. It only stopped torrential rain at the 120 mile Mark. I might be looking for a 4th shortly….Unless I can cope with mismatching crank colours

nathb
    Free Member

+1 for 4iiii

I managed to pick up an Ultegra one for £380 ish from PBK:
    Got them to price match Hinde Racing Ltd for £429 they then have a £25 off £200 voucher taking it to £404 then £22 cash back via TCB, taking it below £400 and therefore could totally justify it to myself!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stages Power meters – have they improved?’ is closed to new replies.