Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SS Chain tension..
  • Kamikirk
    Free Member

Just converted my old bike to SS and think i overshortened the chain. I managed to get the powerlink together and roll the chain onto the sprocket ok. It fits tight without using the tensioner, but if you backpedal the chain offers resistance and the cranks will not spin freely.

My thoughts are its too tight, but as its my 1st journey into the realm of SS I thought i would gather opinions from the STW think tank! What would be the consequences of running it tight like this, am i just worrying about nothing or is it going to lead to a broken chain or premature wear?

Pierre

Sounds like it's too tight. As well as putting the chain under strain (which, to be honest, it's built for so that shouldn't be too much of a problem) the bigger issues are the constant pressure on the bottom bracket / freewheel / hub bearings. These will wear out more quickly.

However, if it's only a little bit too tight and it's a new chain then you might find that after a few rides it "wears in" as the chain "stretches" and the bushings wear slightly.

: P

Alcopop
    Free Member

sounds a bit too tight i try to keep around 5-10mm flex in my chain

bassspine
    Free Member

If you run the chain too tight, the whole drive train will wear quickly until it's all slack.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah it's too tight. They should still spin backwards freely. I set it up so the chain can be moved up/down about 1cm without much effort. You just need to take the slack out of it, not make it completely solid.

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Pretty much what I thought. It's an old chain at .75 stretch so it's due retirement. Will put a new chain on and leave it 1 link longer. Currently it is more like a guitar sting than a chain!

Cheers for the quick feedback.

epicyclo

Also a risk of fracturing the crank near the chainring bolts which may lead to a testicle/toptube interface problem.

Upside of this is your mates will think you're a singlespeed god with mighty thighs. 🙂

nickc

Are you using a tensioner at all, any give in that?

Kamikirk
    Free Member

I have a tensioner and it was not needed before. With the new chain with the extra link It's needed and the chain is taut not ridiculously tight.

Just faffing with chain line via spacers on the BB. Think it's ok now just need a test ride to make sure its working proper like.

nickc

although it can wear stuff out quicker, generally, too tight is better than too loose

takisawa2

Is it tight all the time or does it go slacker in some places?
    Possible off-centre ring at the front ?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Fit a half-link? Or a whole half-link chain? Did it on my Rockhopper awhile ago, was brill.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SS Chain tension..’ is closed to new replies.