Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • SRAM XX1 – stupidly small gear ratio?
  • barkit
    Free Member

Hi,

I just saw a video presenting their new XX1 1×11 system. The biggest cog on the cassette is…42! I might miss something I guess because to me, a 42 tooth cog coupled with the rather small chainring of the system might require to spin hell fast in order not to fall from the bike, right? Why such a small gear ratio??

frogstomp

I think it’s for hills 😉

The lowest combination of 28×42 is still higher ratio than your typical 22×42 granny ring on a triple (and most will go for a bigger chainring anyway).

Conan257
    Free Member

32×42 is a ratio which is close enough to 22×36 for what they wanted to achieve…

But you don’t lose too much at the bottom end. Big gaps between each gear though.

the_lecht_rocks

i went for 28T front as i live in mountain territory.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

The_lecht where did you get your 28t? Local or online? Been searching for stick!

Northwind

Just to state the obvious… But a 32 front, 42 rear is more or less the same as a 22 front, 28 rear- so not outrageously low at all. You can fit a bigger ring of course and push the ratios up.

barkit
    Free Member

You are right the gear ratios are comparable to a more “standard setup”.

It just looks a bit wrong to me though as I always find pedaling more efficient for a given gear ratio when I’m on a bigger chainring…Maybe this is just psychological however.

mboy
    Free Member

The 28T (smallest they do) combined with the 42t rear cog gives exactly the same low 0.66:1 ratio that a 24T granny on a 36T cog gives (common on most 10spd setups now), so it’s hardly any more ridiculous than anything else out there currently.

That said, lowest gear I ever use, even on really long/steep climbs, is 24/32, or 0.75:1, so if I went for an XX1 setup, I’d go for a 32 or probably a 34T ring to maintain enough top end speed whilst still having a usefully low enough bottom gear.

svalgis
    Free Member

The 28T (smallest they do) combined with the 42t rear cog gives exactly the same low 0.66:1 ratio that a 24T granny on a 36T cog gives (common on most 10spd setups now), so it’s hardly any more ridiculous than anything else out there currently.

No, it’s almost as if someone thought it through. 🙂

barkit
    Free Member

so it’s hardly any more ridiculous than anything else out there currently

A 42 rear sprocket just seemed really too big to me at first but I admit I should have had calculated the ratios before posting 😕 .

However I think it might feel quite different to a 2×10 or 3×9 setup. I would also be worried by chain crossing with a 1×11.

ampthill

Weird how suddenly its all gone bigger rings and sprockets and lower chain tension

I can remember when 22T and micro drive were the new thing….

messiah
    Free Member

Groundskeeperwilly. Have you tried Dipper at Gravity Sport in Buckie? Fire him an email from his website as he might be able to help.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

thanks messiah-will do that now.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m interested so many people are going for really small rings with XX1, I’d go for 36 at least, possibly 38t!

chiefgrooveguru

I’m interested so many people are going for really small rings with XX1, I’d go for 36 at least, possibly 38t!

That’s because they’re better at spinning than you! 😛

Weird how suddenly its all gone bigger rings and sprockets and lower chain tension

Better wear and higher efficiency.

Northwind

njee20 – Member

I think for a lot of folks the attaction is a 1x setup that doesn’t give away the low gears- people who didn’t do 1×10 are all over XX1, and they’ll tend to want small.

oldnick

Yes it has the range but the jump between ratios is horrid, no thanks.

composite
    Free Member

barkit – Member

…I always find pedaling more efficient for a given gear ratio when I’m on a bigger chainring…Maybe this is just psychological however.

Can any one shed light on if there is anything in this or not because I have thought the same?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s to do with the angle of the chain – more acute angles are less efficient, more frictional losses.

That’s because they’re better at spinning than you!

Quite possible, but a 28-10 is still a pretty damn low gear. I run 1×10 with a 36, and I’d go go a 38 before a 34, although admittedly the place I’d have use for that would usually be on the road to the trails. Suspect Northwind is closer.

Yes it has the range but the jump between ratios is horrid, no thanks.

Surely it’s virtually identical jumps to a 10 speed 11-36 or 9 speed 11-32? 😕

jonstanley
    Free Member

Don’t let your informed opinion and logic get in the way! Actually, it’s identical to 9-speed 12-36 block, with a granny gear (assuming 32t “middle” ring)… using the 11-speed XX1 cassette (10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42), that’s the same as 27t/32t… with a turbo gear of 38t/12t or 35t/11t. Not quite a triple, though XX1 is more a 1x alternative to those on 2x drivetrains and rocking something like 26t/39t with a 12t-36t 10-speed cassette. :mrgreen:

ampthill

Oh I think its a brilliant idea. Its just intresting that the same industry that took it away are now brining it back as a good idea

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XX1 – stupidly small gear ratio?’ is closed to new replies.