Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SRAM X9 shifters
  • Laggingbehind
    Free Member

I have a set of these & recently the upshifter lever on the rear nine doesnt want to return back to its correct position. Does anybody know if they are serviceable. I see you can buy service kits but will this fix this problem. Everything seems fairly normal & clean & they haven't been crashed or damaged in any way. Advice would be much appreciated

PJM1974
    Free Member

Might be a spring that's popped out of it's retainer? SRAM X0/9 mechs are a pain to repair if this happens.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Take it apart and have a nosey. They are fairly simple inside. Are you sure you haven't slightly bent the lever and it catches on the release lever on returning. I've noticed this a few times.

MrDomino
    Free Member

I had the exact same problem. LBS said that once they go they are pretty much impossible to fix (maybe porkies) so I ended up with a new shifter unfortunately.

stompy

Don't take it apart…… they are a **** nightmare to get beck together unless you've got 6 hands and if you do manage it they never work.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Just squirt it inside with some squirty stuff. What have you got to loose?

Speeder

I bought one for a fiver that this had happened to (turned out the spring had popped out) tried for ages to find a way to assemble the thing but it just wouldn't go back together – as said above, you need 6 hands and a lot of luck. I assume there's a fixture or something for assembling them in the factory . . . . . . .

gamo
    Free Member

Had two do the same recently, one six months old so back to crc
    who are returning it to SRAM! The other just over a year so I took
    it to bits and had a fiddle, on this one everything seemed to be in the
    right place but def not working,noticed that the plate that slides under
    the red disc was sticking so removed the black spring guide/retaining
    pin by the cable adjuster and regreased then put the pin back in
    (used threadlock) and reassembled the shifter and it now seems fine!
    I don't no how or why this tightened up but by loosenig a touch seems
    to fix it.

trailmonkey

I've had it and it can be a simple fix. Take the other shifter apart – very carefully – and note how the springs work as it's easy to re assemble the pod so that the spring is limited.

Burls72
    Free Member

Are they the older bulkier style x9's which have been re-badged as x7? If so had the same problem with two pairs just took them apart, greased and never happened again.

Laggingbehind
    Free Member

They are the newer ones without the displays. I've taken them apart before, there is a technique to getting that spring back in which I found on the internet… cant remember what it was thou off the top of my head but I do remember it was simply when I eventually got it right..

I think the stickyness is caused by the flat washer that sits under the lever arm but not sure

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X9 shifters’ is closed to new replies.