Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • SRAM RED GXP Bottom bracket (Ceramic) – Avoid at all costs??
  • organic355
    Free Member

Was looking at one of these for a new build, but most reviews dont seem to favourable, say they dont last long and need a tonne of maintenance? Ayone had any experience of them?

Am I better off just going for the GXP team at a quarter of the price?

Oh and I want a SRAM force chainset, so i think GXP is the only option?

MussEd
    Free Member

Well I’ve not had any bother with mine after a years use and little(no)maintainence. But I wont be buying ceramic bearings when these do finally give up the ghost…

oldgit
    Free Member

No problem at all, but like MussEd I won’t be buying another. Just too expensive. The standard Force one seems just as good, I can’t tell the difference in the slightest.

coatesy
    Free Member

Hope with GXP adaptor?

rickmeister

Been using a GUB ceramic (in red), almost identical bearing cups to the one you posted. Got it off ebay £35 delivered from China. Popped the seals off to look at the bearings, they are SKF inside.

Was told to run it dry and unlubed by the LBS and despite Scotland’s finest grinding paste its been fine and spins well.

If you want a red ceramic bb to match other stuff I would consider the GUB one, if you want SRAM, your call….

HTH

organic355
    Free Member

Interesting, is the GUB GXP?

rickmeister

GXP is different — and better. Other systems rely on side-loaded bearings to eliminate play, causing bearing wear. GXP captures the left-side bearing between the spindle and the left crankarm and allows the drive-side bearing to float axially on the spindle. There’s no need to side-load bearings during adjustment. No excess wear. And a much simpler installation. Just tighten to the proper specifications and you’re ready to roll, worry-free.

What does all this ^^^^ mean? Is it just another external BB ?

MussEd
    Free Member

rickmeister – I was reading that and thinking “what the dickens is this fool going on about?” I see now you’re quoting marketing techno-babble….

rickmeister

Yep, sorry about that I should have put it in quotes as “Apprentice-Speak”

Does GXP differ from any other BB or is that lot waffly mince?

organic355
    Free Member

I am confussseed. If i want to use a SRAM force crankset, will that GUB bottom bracket work for me?

MussEd
    Free Member

Think GXP are only compatible with SRAM/Truvativ cranksets, i.e they wont fit Shimano stuff. Other than that they are pretty much the same…I think. I’ve no idea about GUB gubbins…

mbarnes
    Free Member

Gxp for SRAM. I am in the same predicament about to order the xo carbon DH cranks for my five and needing a new bb to go with. Hope with an adapter is an option I am thinking of

Dibbs
    Free Member

Does GXP differ from any other BB

Yes, as it says above the the chainset clamps on one bearing (non-drive side as far as I can remember) and the other side is free to find its own position on the axle. This prevents ham-fisted muppets from putting too much pre-load on the bearings and then complaining when their BB wears out in double quick time.

darrell
    Free Member

2 years of using a Force chainset in really crappy Norwegian weather and zero issues with the BB

PaulD
    Free Member

GXP uses a fixed position for the NDS crankarm, so relies on the BB being spot on size at 68mm or 73mm.
    If it is, or a tad undersized all will be well with good life.
    If your BB shell is oversized, the bearings will be overloaded and will have a commensurately short life.
    So, check the BB is correct with a vernier calliper and all will be fine.
    Mine is…

PaulD

baznav73
    Free Member

Sram GXP BB’S and mountain bikes don’t mix well, sram bb’s are crap.
    Go with hope and adaptor.

coatesy
    Free Member

Think PaulID is confusing GXP with Raceface, GXP axles float inside the driveside bearing(as mentioned before)so BB shell width isn’t critical.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I got a ceramic one to go with my xc chainset only took a few wet muddy rides to make one bearing go a bit rough.
    The nice people at SRAM said I fail to relube it after the use in the wet.
    For the price I can have loads of the cheaper one and change it as soon as it starts to fail

Did try the hope option but it craked a shed load for me

orangeboy
    Free Member

Bloody phone above Gould read xx chainset

Sancho
    Free Member

Im doing CGCC ceramic BBkts at £50 and they are freakin mint.

paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

Can second hope option with the adaptor!!
    Running this combo after a bad experience with ceramic….. 🙁

mbarnes
    Free Member

Where can you get the hope adapter from?

Digger90
    Free Member

Chain Reaction…

oldgit
    Free Member

Buy a team, slap it on and ride. The man who built your frame and SRAM have done all the hard work for you.

And the ‘Look at my red bit’ gets on your nerves after one minute, trust me.

I’ll be nicer when my coffee kicks in.

PaulD
    Free Member

Coatsey,

I am not confusing RaceFace with GXP.
    GXP needs the shell to be exact or undersize or the bearing will be overloaded (as I said above).
    If the shell is OK or undersize all will be OK as the axle will float.
    Since they do not have a rubber O-ring on the arms, you may get crud filling the BB if it is a loose fit.

Shimano may have its faults, but the preloaded bearings on a sliding spline does accommmodate shell tolerances well unless you are a gorilla with the preload tool.

PaulD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘SRAM RED GXP Bottom bracket (Ceramic) – Avoid at all costs??’ is closed to new replies.