Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • SRAM 'GX'
  • speccyguy
    Free Member

Anyone else seen the SRAM GX advert in the new Bike magazine?

looks to be an SLX level 1×11 group – the ad copy also mentions 1×10 and 2×10

It’ll be interesting to see what cassette is used and which free hub it uses

timmys

Interesting!

There’s an image of the advert in this thread;
    http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2865951

GHill

Trying to sneak it out before Shimano announce 11 speed XT (the worst kept secret).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

which free hub it uses

I can’t imagine anything other than an XD freehub, otherwise it removes the upgrade (or downgrade to a cheaper cassette) path from XX1/X01. OTOH there are a lot of hubs with conventional cassettes and that’s a big market to ignore.

speccyguy
    Free Member

There are so many bikes with ‘standard’ freehubs that are so far locked out (without new wheels) of 11s SRAM that I’m hoping they have an 11up 11s cassette for standard freehubs.

Though as said, there will be a 11up 11s Shimano cassette soon anyway so maybe it doesn’t matter

Surprised they haven’t lifted the embargo now it’s out there though. Or maybe they want to break the idea of embargoes too?!

johnnystorm

Just dumping an ad out there seems to be generating a decent amount of interest for no extra effort!

It’ll be here, along with 11spd xt soon, just after I replace the gears on my spearfish I expect….

speccyguy
    Free Member

Not as much interest as I thought it would. I can’t see a lower level 11s SRAM group being anything other than the default choice for most riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Doesn’t mention the gear range to be offered on 1×11 does it?

If they came up with a more sensibly priced cassette offering the same range as x1 – and then Shimano launched 11sp XT with compatible shifters and mechs…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Doesn’t mention the gear range to be offered on 1×11 does it?

it looks like 10-42 in the pic, but the cheapest 11 speed sram X1 cassette is still above £150, about the same price as a 2×10 deore group set less the brakes,

so unless this cassette is cheap as chips, its not entry level,

but with XX1, X01, X1 already it suggests a 4th tier i.e. Deore

wiggles
    Free Member

It is still 11-42 and XD driver just with a more simply made/heavier cassette.

Northwind

SRAM always said that their launch schedule is entirely about maximising profit from each product- so they held the second-top 11 speed for ages til sales dropped on the top end, and so on. There was always going to be a more budget groupset, once it made good financial sense to them to start snaring lower end bike buyers.

benpinnick

There will be 2 cassette options for gx. Both much cheaper than x1

AlexSimon

Good to know there will be a cheaper cassette option when I come to replace my X1. That was always the sticking point with SRAM 1×11 for me.

rhayter

There’s a useful article on GX in the new MBR. Some components almost half the price of XX1 and you can run 2×11 with a 10×42 cassette.

speccyguy
    Free Member

Half the price of XX1 still doesn’t exqctly make it Deore level! (Dirtyrider)

Can you share more, Ben? Anything to fit a standard freehub?

Did you mean 10-42 wiggles? The ad image shows 10-something and an 11- wouldn’t need to be XD

ianfitz
    Free Member

Why would you need to run 2x with a 10-42 cassette? Monster range!

The Shimano 11 speed xt stuff should be good…

11-42 on a standard feeehub?

wiggles
    Free Member

Yeah I meant 10-42

dirtyrider
    Free Member

There will be 2 cassette options for gx. Both much cheaper than x1

wa wa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SRAM GX groupsets unleashed!

kudos100
    Free Member

11 speed XT and the cheaper SRAM cassette might get me interested in the future, assuming the cassette lasts well and can be had for under £100.

benpinnick

Half the price of XX1 still doesn’t exqctly make it Deore level! (Dirtyrider)
    Did you mean 10-42 wiggles? The ad image shows 10-something and an 11- wouldn’t need to be XD

I can’t tell you much more other than the new cassette is XD still.

njee20
    Free Member

The details are all out surely? Or are you suggesting there’s another cassette to be announced?

simondbarnes

£115 for a cassette? Sod that.

Northwind

£115 MSRP, what does that translate into at CRC? XC1180’s MSRP was £239.99 at launch according to bikeradar but you can buy them for £170.

simondbarnes

£115 MSRP, what does that translate into at CRC? XC1180’s MSRP was £239.99 at launch according to bikeradar but you can buy them for £170.

I can get a 10 spd cassette for about £20 though.

Northwind

You can, but it won’t do the same job. A sub-£100 11 speed is competitive with a 10-speed-range-extender setup.

dingleberry
    Free Member

As far as I can tell it’s these:

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-xg-1175-full-pin-cassette%5D

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-xg-1150-full-pin-cassette%5D

One has an alu 42t, the other’s all steel (and a bit heavier). Both XD.

benpinnick

Yeah thats right – I didnt realise they’d posted that online yet. TBH I recalled it the other way round that 1150 would be OE and 1175 would be AM but hey ho. As you know these things have a way of making it onto the grey market (like Pike RCs) so I’d expect to see both cassettes well under £100 by the end of the year.

benpinnick

FWIW I think GX will clean up. It replaces X9 with a bang up to date 10 & 11spd option, great mechs, super tidy bars (combine your brakes, reverbs and shifters onto 1 clamp per side), brilliant chain tension, and a wide range. XD convertors are fairly common so its going to not too much of a hassle to swap now, and while I think realistically it sits between SLX and XT pricewise, the quality is good, and bar the cranks probably matches XT in all reality. Expect ALOT of GX equipped OE for MY2016.

JoeG
    Free Member

Notice that 24 mm crank spindle is an option, too.

I think that they’ll have some issues in the aftermarket as there re so many options that no one will be able to make sense of it all.

bigrich

it says SRAM on it and is involved in drivetrain and/or braking? I’m out

good rule of thumb that.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 'GX'’ is closed to new replies.