Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • SRAM Guide brakes
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

As fitted to my Whyte G150 of 1yr.

Have they solved the reliability issues with these?

I do like them but then I liked my Avid Elixirs in the past too, till they started being a PITA. So for the last few years I have gone all Shimano and just wondering if SRAM (nee Avid) have solved their issues, what says you?

BoardinBob

So far so good after 7 months on my bike. Obvious caveat is I haven’t had to bleed them yet

MtbRoutes

Yes.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d ride them until they give you problems, bleeding to keep the fluid fresh as required. No point in worrying about something that hasn’t happened yet.

My old Avids eventually got so sticky I couldn’t push the pistons back in, even with enough force to break a screwdriver – had to strip the calliper down and use a G clamp (they still had plenty of bite though). The rebuild kit was about the same cost as new bog standard Shimano brakes from Rose (and I would’ve needed to do a lot of faffy cleaning with the Avids vs a quick hose swap with the Euro setup Shimanos).

richmtb

Got Guide R’s on my Boardman 29er

I’m a Shimano fanboi but have to say I’ve very impressed by them. Similar power to XT / SLX but better modulation.

Not had to bleed them yet though

solamanda
    Free Member

I really like them. They need a good bleed and it’s much easier if you buy the Pro Bleed kit. Give the pistons a clean with brake cleaner every so often (just pull the lever and spray them, no need to put any effort in).

They require about twice as much maintenance as Shimano but they perform so much better, especially on long descents.

legend
    Free Member

fixed some areas, ruined others. The previously, nice, solid reach Avid reach adjusters have been replaced with something much more flimsy – mine like to wind themselves in as i ride.

Bleeding seems a lot easier though, and they dont have the wondering bite point that my Shimanos had

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Guide brakes’ is closed to new replies.