Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • SRAM crankset vs Dura Ace BB?
  • goriri
    Free Member

My work bike is a fixie (don’t start 😉 and I recently treated it to a nice new SRAM s900 SS specific crankset, and a dura ace 7900 BB. Not sure if it’s my ham-fistedness installing it (I’m not new to this sort of thing though) or if there is something incompatible about this set up, but it’s developed this really annoying bit of ‘play’ – I do the crankset bolt up as much as is necessary, and yet there is a couple of mm movement whic by the time it gets to the pedals feels horrible, and I’m sure is killing one if not both bits.
    A workshop mechanic told me that there is apparently a slight incompatibility issue here, and that I should stick to a SRAM BB too if I’m keeping the cranks…Anyone know if this is right or baloney?

STATO
    Free Member

Im sure someone else will confirm but pretty sure the SRAM axle is different diameter along its length, so it will have play on the non-drive side, hence you feel it wobbling. Should be pretty obvious when you look.

njee20
    Free Member

Correct – as with the MTB ones you need a GXP bottom bracket. Hope do some adapters for a few quid which should work though.

goriri
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I have a gxp bb on order for tomorrow so will see if that nails it.

Cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

Yep it will – SRAM/Truvativ external bearing BBs and Shimano ones are not compatible and never have been.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘SRAM crankset vs Dura Ace BB?’ is closed to new replies.