Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • SRAM are rooooobish
  • crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

is it just me or
    do sram chains always snap?
    do sram rear mech’s always commit suicide by jumping into the wheel at the first opertunity
    do sram cassettes shatter easily?

is it just me? never anything like this happen with shimano stuff? (excep the chain snapping but they snapp 10x less than sram)

nickc

It’s just you.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

It’s just you.

Keva
    Free Member

sram chains much better than shimano I reckon. Ive never snapped one yet but have snapped plenty of shimano ones, plus the power link is great. Just bought my first sram cassette the other day so can’t comment on that and I always use XT rapid rise med cage mechs so have no intention of buying an sram one. …and btw it’s opportunity not oppertunity 🙂

Kev

Smee
    Free Member

WTF are you doing to get a cassette to shatter?

trailmonkey

It’s just you

psychle
    Free Member

it’s just you… I’ve run SRAM exclusively for 3+ years now and never had any of the things you mention happen 😀

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i was just cycling and it broke….why is it just me?

thats why i bought the chain in the first place…they said it would brake…it broke 2 weeks after it was new 🙁 its broken 9 times since…

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Just you and your ham-fisted riding!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

A year or so ago, I’d have said SRAM were better than Shimano, not now though. They seem to have become snap-tastic

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Do you know how to change gear or do you just whack into the gear you want whatever else is happening?

stratobiker
    Free Member

I wouldn’t give you a thank you for SRAM.
    Shimano every time for me.

So I’m with the OP

🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

press buttons till something happens, is there another way?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

lol the chain has never snapped while changing gear…it just apply alittle force and CRACK!

when i was younger i used to change while accellerating but that was when i had a shimano chain so that was fine…

Keva
    Free Member

as your chain has snapped nine times, your rear mech has mushed itself into the wheel and your cassette has shattered maybe your chain line is slightly out ?

Kev

mieszko
    Free Member

I’ve got a sram chain, never snapped and also a sram cassette that is still going strong,nice clean shifting. Can’t complain really.

My mate is over the moon with his new x.0 rear mech and x.9 shifters as well.

I had a LX chain once, snapped just after the start of a marathon. Then snapped again 2 km later. Than I had about 55km to go, I was in the 560th place (last) and had about 5 gear combination to use. On that day I said I will never buy a Shimano chain again. (My mate had similar problems with his xtr 7701 chain that was constantly snapping). Wipperman, KMC, Sram tried them and they were all better than Shimano.

My mates Sram 951 chain snapped twice, but that’s down to his “skillz” in shifting under load, crossing his chain and not looking after his drivetain.

Your mech problems would be down to bad adjustment rather than blaming it on Sram, limiting screws are there for a reason.

Poor rant 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

its just you.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I had a sram chain snap once. It was coated in rust and salt, plus i’d not cleaned or lubed it for a long time. Shoddy quality control, obviously.

fingerbike
    Free Member

It’s just you.

I’ve only ever killed shimano chains and mechs, sram has been great…

scotia
    Free Member

its just you

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i never broken a sram rear mech…just some of my friends have…they seam to go into the wheel when u land a drop? my m8 broke an x.0 rear mech on testing a bike a few weeks ago…um the cassette shattered when the chain hadnt broken (shimano chain)…it was about 5 months old…it the bottom the sprokets just disintergrated and went everywere! i had to pic them all up cos i didnt want to damage any car tyres…i think im going to put all this down to typical american quality control? i got a bad batch?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Charming lot on here tonight 🙂

I have heard ( not just on here) that SRAM chains are not what they were. I use them and SRAM Cassetttes and don’t break them but I am still working my way thru the job lot of chains I got last year. They survive on the tandem

leftyboy
    Free Member

Ditto

It’s just you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

have witnessed all the above……have also witnessed the same happen on shimano so it can go either way really …

new shaddow from shimano especially vunerable

srams main pivot always wears out.

Sram cassette sprockets do seem to snap under powerful riders recently there has been more than in the past … perhaps a batch ?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

yeah i rekon they r making them in mexico know apposed to america? so they r using cheap steel…what ever it is…its poor quality raw materials…

Davy
    Free Member

Sram chains? Ok, but I’d prefer a KMC.

Mechs going into the wheel? That’s just cack-handed setup or a rock strike. No mech just spontaneously goes into the wheel, Sram or Shimano.

Cassettes shattering??? I’ve never even heard of that happening before. I’ll be honest, I think shimano ones shift (slightly) better, but I’ve never seen or heard of anyone shattering one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Mechs going into the wheel? That’s just cack-handed setup or a rock strike. No mech just spontaneously goes into the wheel, Sram or Shimano.”

Tbh its well documented in downhill circles that sram main pivots round the hanger bolt wear badly and in some cases develop CM`s of play ….in a matter of days of riding regardless of the level of mech even x0s…..QC slipping perhaps.

one rough landing will have a badly worn mech into your wheel

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

ah…thats probly why it happens..im sticking with shimano from now on…and i think a KMC chain…

rolfharris
    Free Member

I work on sram and shimano very regulalry. Sram is not put together as well, not as good quality and not as well thought out. It’s also very expensive for what you get (anyone seen the plastic bits on rival mechs???). Also, you pay for X0 and get promised rebuildability but many of the bits that break regularly aren’t available as spares. The chains break too easily too.

Shimano is by far the better quality product.

ziggy
    Free Member

I’d take shimano over sram anyday.
    My experience is that the failure rate of sram is far higher, mechs are particulary vulnerable. Play in the main pivot can result in up to 10mm of movement at the end of the the jockey wheel cage.
    Seen plenty of sram cassettes shear and lose teeth. Low end stuff like sx4/5 by far the worst.
    Truvativ cranks are just as bad, arms falling off regardless of torque used to fasten them, chainrings bending.
    In fairness we’ve not yet had issues with the chains though, sell quite a few too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

quite funny that isnt it … rolf my self and ziggy all see lots of sram problems … there is a reoccuring linking theme here …..

*waves at luke….hows business 😉 *

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Luke’s toolbox is pretty basic though…

rolfharris
    Free Member

Anyone had the pleasure of using SX4 shifters? Ye gads!

Terry- I’m out of the shop til July now so can theoretically concentrate on riding my bike abroad! Off to the Alps then for a road bike tour of germany, austria and a bit of slovakia. All on Shimano mind…

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i saw sum1 snap an x-5 of the handlebar easily enough…so i guess x4 just leaps of the handlebars…

CaptJon
    Free Member

Anyone got any robust evidence, or is that too much to ask?

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Chains seem to be fine for me – no worse than any shimano chain I’ve ever used. I’ve broken one of each shifter (in both cases by hooking my shorts over a paddle whilst climbing. I’ve run the same SRAM mech on three different frames for three years now (SX-5) with no worries and as it’s bolted to a coiler it doesn’t get molly coddled.

chvck
    Free Member

I’m running a SRAM cassette which has been absolutely fine to date however the x7 rear mech I had developed so much play that I totally lost ninth gear, that was over a short amount of time too! Using a KMC chain now too and had no issues with that.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Robust evidence? Such as what? A video of someone waggling an XO mech about?

I do have a photo of my Sram X0 mech that popped when the chain was too short due to a snap (sram chain…), rather than just staying in one piece as a Shimano would. It snapped a pin that was replaceable, but not available to buy. We’ve had around 4 X0 mechs in the shop with that same situation.

Also, me, trailrat and ziggy are bikeshop staff who work on this stuff all the time. We know what works and what doesn’t (Sram hub gears on Dutch bikes anyone? Inferior technology if ever there was any)

Dunno about you, but I’ve never seen this happen to a Shimano mech.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

lol…unfortunate for someones wallet

adstick
    Free Member

speaking as another shop mechanic, Shimano every time. SRAM is lower quality, less well designed and (used to be?!) much more expensive. It looks bling though…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘SRAM are rooooobish’ is closed to new replies.