Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM 980 cassette
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

How many rings on a carrier? heavier or lighter than xt?

Not sure about weight though.

990 ftw mind you

Baldysquirt

3 or 4 on the carrier. Not sure how heavy, but my hope freehub hasn't liked wearing it that much.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

will stick with xt i think

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Heavier than XT.

Northwind

Yup, heavier than XT. Perfectly nice cassette, just doesn't make much sense to buy one.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

They're expensive in comparison too…

mboy
    Free Member

Yup, heavier than XT. Perfectly nice cassette, just doesn't make much sense to buy one.

20-25g in it, it's not the end of the world.

Also, it does make a lot of sense to buy one when you can get it brand new for £25, and an XT was £40+ as was the case at the time I needed a new cassette… Agreed that it's not quite as good as an XT though.

Oh, and only top 3 rings are on the carrier. Mine has only been on a steel freehub on a Shimano XT hub so far so no issues there, haven't tried it on a Hope freehub yet (my Hope rear wheel has an XT cassette on incidentally).

poppa
    Free Member

11-34
    PG980 £34 307g
    XT £44 298g
    PG990 £47.5 305g

11-32
    PG980 £34 273g
    XT £44 260g
    PG990 £47.5 275g

Don't quite understand the above comments. Unless you are a total weight weenie it seems to offer a considerable cost saving for a minimal weight penalty. PG990 seems to be a lot more pointless – more expensive than XT and no weight saving over PG980. Prices from Merlin, weights from WW.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 980 cassette’ is closed to new replies.