Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Squeaking chain?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does any body else get this? its not a creak (thank god) 😆 its like the chain is squeaking on a revolution mainly when climbing, sounds a bit like a hamster wheel going round is my best description? ive been using the squirt lube stuff, and for the first ride of around 20 miles or so i cant remember it sqeaking…however tonights 25 miler and mid way through started to hear it more? surely it shouldnt need relubing that quickly? i mean i know its dry out there at the mo but come on?!?!?

i then applied some finish line wet to try and combat it mid ride but it didnt seem to do a great deal?

chain isnt worn according to chain guide?

shall i just try another lube instead? or are all dry lubes useless?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

are all dry lubes useless?

Yes. I’ve never got any to last more than half a ride before the chain starts squeaking. And yes, I’ve propperly degreased the chain as per the instructions etc….

Crap. Don’t bother. Just use some wet lube and clean the chain regularly.

twohats
    Free Member

sounds like the jockey wheels need a bit of lube.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

elfin – yeah thats good to know its not just me – and i also did the degrease thing as per instructions 🙁

im guessing ill have to degrease it again now to get the waxy squirt lube stuff on…ill go back to wet lube i think!

intersting point on the jockey wheels, i replaced them recently and didnt have a bit on them, though the chain was squeaking still with the old ones on (admittedly they were dry and in a bit of a state, with thick layers of grease/oil/mud build up…but the chain went on dry on the new jockey wheels, so they are completely dry too

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

what wet lube you using elfin? anything good to recommend other than finish line wet?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have tried every single dry lube out there. Surprisingly, the least crap one is Halfords’ own brand. The spensiver ones are really rubbish.I think it’s cos the stuff just falls of if any dust gets on the chain, which is what it’s sposed to do, but then leaves the chain unlubricated so it starts squeaking again.

I use whatever free samples I get at cycle events and that. jolly well have not bought any lube in years. Got some old suspension oil as per a PoddyTip™ for when I eventually run out. Doubt I’ll ever buy another bottle of lube again tbh.

A proper oil will help the chain stay lubed and last longer. None of the bike mechanics I’ve worked with used dry lubes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh righty – thought it was just gonna be me with this problem or id somehow applied it wrong 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

‘Bike chain’ lube is a rip-off. It’s either a thin oil or some paraffin wax type stuff in a liquid suspension. All you actually need is a light oil to keep the chain rollers and jockey wheel bushings lubed.

Don’t be fooled by tales of magical properties. Bikes existed for millions of years with nowt more sophisticated than a basic oil, all the fangled modern stuff is just something simple dressed up in fancy packaging and marketing spiel.

cplater1
    Free Member

and the lovely grapefruit smell of the Muc Off Wet…

I just use whatever I can get when I need it/special offers etc

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

whats the best way to apply wet lube then? just degrease the chain and bung it on? do you have to wipe excess off or just forget it and go…

i mean i could be totally wrong it may not be the chain at all, but its not a creak , its a definited squeak or squeal type noise….

degrease and wet lube it is then!

twohats
    Free Member

Rock and roll extreme used here and no squeaky chains round these parts. Oh, I should add that I’m a bike mechanic too…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers twohats ill take a look at that! how do you apply that one? does it need constantly doing before every ride?

carl
    Free Member

recently read this about Squirt.Very different opinion to what the comments above suggest.Didnt the top 3 solo finishers at Mountain Mayhem this year all run Squirt.

http://www.muddymoles.org.uk/reviews/squirt-chain-lube-review

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Squeaking chain?’ is closed to new replies.