Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Spring Is (n't) in the air… Reverb content ;-(
  • maxtorque

Yup, a lovely evening at Woburn. I sail magestically, seat down over the first big obsticle in my path and yup, almost inevitably it seems, my Reverb failed to return my seat on the other side…… ;-(

Now, it’s less than 3 months old, from CRC, so persumably easy to return under warrantee etc, But i want to use the bike next week (on hols ;-), so question:

Can i fix it myself?

Symptoms:

1) holds NO air pressure
    2) if you move post in and out by hand, you can hear air rushing out the bottom of the post (the part inserted in the seat tube normally with the air pressure fillinh valve on it (but it’s not the valve leaking

I assume some airpressure seal has got derranged inside?

Anyone done this?

Ta muchly,

MaxT

DT78
    Free Member

Needs to be sent back, sounds like a blown seal, which I had on one of the first batch, kind of hope they had sorted this by now. Disappointing for a product that costs so much. Took about 3 weeks end to end, as had to send it back to Merlin, then Fishers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t go through CRC, contact fisher outdoors. Will be quicker.

maxtorque

Just popped out the lower CirClip and had a quick look inside. Ah, looks like half a dead O ring poking out from around the airtube…….

That’ll be broken then ;-(

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Allegedly Fisher really, really don’t like you taking that circlip off…

maxtorque

Perhaps they should ask their suppliers to try to make products that last a bit longer than 8 weeks before failure if they don’t want their customers taking them apart………………

besides, i’ve worked in F1 and top flight motorsport development for the best part of 20 years now, i think i can manage to take a circlip off ok 😉

the_lecht_rocks

Get yer mate Adrian Newey to design you a solution then…..?

kimbers

smug gravity dropper owner

that is all

maxtorque

I suspect the solution would be to apply some proper rigeous engineering science to the issue, and by the sounds of it, to massive improve quality control at all stages of the machining and assy of the seat post. The basic idea seems sound, but from the number of “Early life failures” the execution seems poor.

O ring seals are not rocket science (space shuttle SRB’s excepted….. ;-( Designing,specifying, tollerancing and developing an O ring as a dynamic seal is a well troden path, and for example in F1 we have transmission hydraulic actuators runing at hundreds of Bar (not the paltry 17bar in a reverb), at far elevated temps (>150degC), in harsh vibration environments without a single failure.

The Reverb IS a great product imo, but one where the balance between reliability and making money seems to have slipped a bit……

maxtorque

Lightning, it appears, does strike more than once where Reverbs are concerned. Almost 8 weeks to the day later, yup, FAILED AGAIN !!

(exactly the same fault, O ring spat out, no air pressure ;-(

This, is beginning to get tedious.

hugor
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this. I’ve been burnt with the Joplin and know how disappointing it is.
    Is this the new generation (2012) Reverb or the first one?

If the new Fox post proves to be reliable they will have my money.
    I’m sure you’d pay a few more quid to not have to go through the hassles you are now.

bigdan6
    Free Member

I have had mine 10 months. Used twice weekly for three hours at a time and I do use the uppy-downy bit a lot. No problems.

Maybe you need to demand they replace it with a brand new one?
    Good luck getting it sorted

maxtorque

It’s a 2012 model, and yes, i have asked for a replacement rather than repair this time. It’s bloody annoying, but i might just buy another reverb, that way whilst they fix one, i can still use the other…… 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Spring Is (n't) in the air… Reverb content ;-(’ is closed to new replies.