Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)
  • That new Cotic Rocket
  • jameso

I like anything that is how it is because it works best that way, no other reason. I’m suspicious of things that are over-styled. Simplest way to achieve what you want is usually the best, taking things away is better than adding more stuff on, etc.

The Rocket looks ace imo. The seat-top tube junction looks totally sensible and frees up top tube width too, it’s great.

If you want perfect flowy lines there’s plenty of hydroformed stuff already out there.

Rockape
    Free Member

Cannot wait to ride the Rocket. Booked my Demo with Stu at the Dales Bike centre on the 21st April. Orange looks good black equally so. I wonder what it would look like in Solaris Green???? Looks good Cy.

SBrock
    Free Member

Since when is having an opinion rude?

Thank you

I said in my opinion I think it looks hideous and I’m sorry for upsetting people but looks do matter on a bike and I dont like the look of it.

Just out interest I do own a Soul

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The orange one looks brilliant. If it wasnt for the fact that its way out of my price range and way too similar (intended use) to the bike I already have, I’d be seriously considering one.

Alex

When I get bored of my ST4, I’ll be testing one of those a) because Cy knows how to make great bikes b) because I’ve met him a couple of times and he’s a top fella and incredibly passionate about what he does and c) because it’ll be ace.

Personally I like the look of it. But even if I didn’t I’d still seriously consider it because I know that Cy is a great bike designer with a OCD attention to detail. Still I love my Carbon 456 and frankly that’s not a looker. Who cares 😉

chiefgrooveguru

It’s not easy designing cutting edge products in a small company and if you focus on engineering the product as well as possible, whilst always bearing in mind the aesthetic but never letting form dominate to the detriment of function, you will come up for criticism. However you’ll also develop a legitimate brand that people will trust and as you’re never going to claim 100% market share then the criticism doesn’t really matter. Easy to type that but I still get defensive about my own products despite them being engineered to the nth degree and every detail being considered. Sometimes the best solution isn’t as pretty as you’d like but wouldn’t you rather have that than a compromised but more attractive one?

Personally I think the Rocket looks awesome and I’d love an orange medium one to go with my Soul if I could justify it! If I lived somewhere with gnarlier local trails I’d be sorely tempted but round here my Soul is sooo damned fast when I’m on it (not as in me being on it, me being on it when I’m ON IT. You dig me?)

LoCo
    Free Member

It looks great as seen at Bespoked the other weekend, show me a large (26″ wheeled frame) that doesn’t look at bit ‘gawky’ propotion wise.
    Believe me I know as have to ride them at 6’3″.
    If you want a ‘right’ looking gate sized frame you need a 29er IMO
    😉

metalheart
    Free Member

I too think that the small frame looks a thing of joy and beauty and the large looks like a bit of a gate. I believe that I *may* have mentioned this in a passing email to Cy…

However I will reserve judgement on the matter until I see joe@cycle worlds medium in orange in the flesh.

I’m really really hoping that it’s a minger as I’m totally skint having just stumped up for my Solaris…

And brant, I hear what you are saying I’m glad you feel that strongly to say it. Sadly such passion is all too missing from our lives.

And if the rocket actually rides as well as its *hyped* then wgaf what it looks likes really.

kelvin

I’ve only seen/ridden a large Rocket, and it didn’t look/feel like a gate to me. Small bikes are more “rad” though, as everyone knows, so I’m looking forward to seeing a small one built up “in the metal”.

More Rocket photos on Flickr (including some snaps of Cy’s large prototype out in the real world, not sat in front of some boxes):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/coticltd/sets/72157629727121781/with/6837550101/

mboy
    Free Member

It’s not easy designing cutting edge products in a small company and if you focus on engineering the product as well as possible, whilst always bearing in mind the aesthetic but never letting form dominate to the detriment of function, you will come up for criticism. However you’ll also develop a legitimate brand that people will trust and as you’re never going to claim 100% market share then the criticism doesn’t really matter.

THIS

I own a Maverick, one of what many people consider one of the ugliest full suspension bikes out there, but it was designed by a guy with a similar Principle to this and that of Cy’s. The fact Paul Turner too is a great engineer with a passion for riding bikes, and was at the time pretty much a one man band after he’d sold Rockshox, and you can draw some similarities. The fact the looks are challenging to most people (I actually quite like the way it looks, but what do I know!) is of no concern to me whatsoever. For a 5″ travel XC bike, it’s still a total swiss army knife of a bike, designed not to excel in one particular area but just be bloody good all round. People have raced them competitively in Enduro DH’s, and also top level XC.

And just like Cy, Maverick has a proper hardcore group of followers (check out the MTBR forums if you don’t believe me) who can’t wait to see what the next chapter is in their history!

Long live guys like Cy and Paul Turner, pushing the engineering boundaries rather than the marketing ones, unafraid to use a design that’s unconventional or use a different material to the norm, in pursuit of perfection. There is always a ready market for these designs, it’s just never going to be as large as the more conventional market of course.

brokensoul
    Free Member

We were looking at an orange Rocket at Wharncliffe on Saturday afternoon.
    My mate was creaming in his jeans!
    😉

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Did I miss it, or did anyone question the idea of building a frame out of steel just because of the seat tube diameter?

I personally think steel sussers are pointless and have yet to be convinced otherwise. It is a nice looking bike though and I would wish cotic well.

chiefgrooveguru

Already been done – the engineering makes sense.

colournoise

muddyfunster – Member
    Did I miss it, or did anyone question the idea of building a frame out of steel just because of the seat tube diameter?

Having read the Cotic newsletters, watched his Youtube lecture, and seen some posts here, I think Cy himself questioned it quite a bit.

I’m no engineer but the numbers, logic and first ride reviews seem to suggest the concept and engineering is sound.

slainte 💡 rob

ska-49
    Free Member

Im wondering if the rocket will be available with a XT complete build (as in the pics.). Wonder how much that would be ?

bigblackshed

Personally I like the look of the large. Real man’s size. Real steel and all that. Just too rich for my blood.

For the benefit of Brant I’m not being rude when I say, the spanner flats on the linkage bolts are poor. Yes they may only be 2mm wide, but here is a whole world of engineering solutions to make them recessed and functional. The cost of doing so is another matter.

Hats off to Cy for doing what he believes in.

That was me in polite, diplomatic mode. If anyone wants to know what I think of carbon bikes, I’ll be on another bike forum. 😉 🙄

Mugboo

The right opinion when criticising is the one you would give if Cy was stood in front of you.

I like it, but I also liked my Hemlock and now my Nukeproof Mega. And I would love a Nicolai 🙂

honourablegeorge

ska-49 – Member
    Im wondering if the rocket will be available with a XT complete build (as in the pics.). Wonder how much that would be ?

Frame only, it seems. Plenty of cheap groupsets doing the rounds though – £2.5K would put you on a very nice build.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

colournoise

Having read the Cotic newsletters, watched his Youtube lecture, and seen some posts here, I think Cy himself questioned it quite a bit.

I’m no engineer but the numbers, logic and first ride reviews seem to suggest the concept and engineering is sound.

Righteeo. Not questioning the internal logic of it, if you like. But I’d be very suspicious that it isn’t creating a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. You have to wonder why every major manufacturer hasn’t had to solve this problem by making steel full sussers.

thepodge
    Free Member

It’s not a problem / solution scenario.

It’s just a different way of doing something

chiefgrooveguru

With product design it’s common for things to move in small evolutionary steps. The problem with that is that after many generations of evolution you’re likely to end up a long way from where you started in terms of target functionality but the evolutionary solution is hamstrung by the small step-changes. In this case the big change is what’s expected of a 150mm full-sus bike in its ability to carry speed and be almost rideable like a DH bike from not so long ago – that requires a much stiffer chassis to support the suspension so it can move as designed. However the solution which the evolutionary approach arrives at isn’t necessarily the best one.

A small manufacturer that isn’t caught up in the usual annual product cycle can take a much more clean sheet approach – the original carbon fibre Ibis Mojo being another great example of this. It’s also important to bear in mind that a large company which has pushed certain marketing agenda and brand messages for years is going to be much more reluctant to do something radical with one product because of the risk of it damaging the sales proposition of their other models.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Seriously. Cy is a genius

over egging the pudding there. or is he moonlighting at CERN

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

The reviews seem very good but maybe the paid for holiday by Cotic to the Hot summer med has given the reviewers guilty conscience about giving it a bad or avg review???

So id be more interested to hear what real customers have to say or people who have demoed the bike here in blighty.

I dont think its ugly it looks functional and as long as it does what it says on the tin as such why bash it?

but problems i see are the weight and the 150mm rear suspension as im sure this is going to get the bike stuck on the typical muddy trails we tend to see here in UK, also all day comfort?

shaggy

The reviews seem very good but maybe the paid for holiday by Cotic to the Hot summer med has given the reviewers guilty conscience about giving it a bad or avg review???

When did this happen? AFAIK the only journos who have ridden it did so in The Peaks.

mboy
    Free Member

Righteeo. Not questioning the internal logic of it, if you like. But I’d be very suspicious that it isn’t creating a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. You have to wonder why every major manufacturer hasn’t had to solve this problem by making steel full sussers.

Steel may be in vogue again for hardtails (note number of major manu’s following Cotic’s lead some 8-10 years later and bringing out their own versions) where a 1lb weight penalty for the ride qualities it gives is seen as more than acceptable. Rightly or wrongly, steel is perceived as heavy and pointless for full suspension bike manufacture, it’s also much more expensive to make a bike out of decent steel than it is from Aluminium (or probably even cheap carbon fibre these days!). Added to that fact it would be seen as a very leftfield approach to make one out of steel, and no major manufacturer is going to bother, it’d be too much of a risk.

Cotic is a very small business by comparison, born out of one man’s desire to take a risk and build frames he wanted to ride himself in the first place cos nobody else was doing it. The “problem” that making it out of predominantly 853 steel is solving is that of stifness. 7.6lb including shock for a 150mm travel frame of this ilk is competitive. 853 steel is very stiff compared to lesser steels, and as steel is inherently stiffer/stronger than aluminium (ally acheives stifness in bike frames through using larger sections in general, and more of it) when used in the same profile, then why not make the bike out of steel? Having owned one, I can tell you an 853 BFe is a VERY stiff thing indeed (was too stiff for me) which would make the front triangle a perfect place to hang a decent rear suspension design off the back of, as frame stifness is much more important with full sus than on a hardtail in general. Ergo, as he’s a small company, isn’t afraid to take a risk, doesn’t mind it being a slightly expensive “niche” product compared to other similar designs, then it made sense to him to make it out of steel…

but problems i see are the weight and the 150mm rear suspension as im sure this is going to get the bike stuck on the typical muddy trails we tend to see here in UK, also all day comfort?

7.6lb for the frame including shock is competitive for a 150mm travel, hard riding trail bike. There are lighter 150mm travel frames for definite, but they’re probably not as slack or low and are aimed more at all day comfort than the hooligans the Cotic is aimed at. Not to say that 150mm of travel isn’t going to be uncomfortable of course…

And as for getting stuck in the UK mud… Have you seen how much rear tyre clearance there is? It’s f***ing huge! And the pivots are all pretty big, and look like they use sealed cartridge bearings, so shouldn’t be any different to any other full sus bike (and better than many) in that respect.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks really different and interesting – probably not for me because of the weight, but I’d love a go on somebody else’s.

alex222
    Free Member

Seriously. Cy is a genius
    over egging the pudding there. or is he moonlighting at CERN

No he really is a genius. He gets some people to tell him what angles will be good and then gets the same people to then weld some steel together. Or at least that’s more or less what he said he did whilst showing slides he had ripped right off sheldon browns website. In a lecture he held.

deluded
    Free Member

The crucial thing is how it rides, but having said that the aesthetics are obviously an important feature in a bikes design – in the eye of the beholder and all that. Personally there are aspects I like about it and others I’m less keen on.

It can be no surprise that a picture of a new MTB frame on a MTB forum will rightly solicit a wide range of opinions – it’s just that some of those views are not particularly well nuanced and lack finesse – in keeping with the forum then!

I admire Cy for his innovativeness & coming on here to explain things. He clearly produces great UK designed bikes – good on him is what I say.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Long live little manufacturers doing things slightly differently. Long live them doing it in the UK and long live them taking the time to pop onto forums and help us all out. The more choice and variety in the market the better, as some of us don’t want the latest, lightest, carbonest frames. It’s the first Cotic I’ve seen that I would actually really (really) like. Good work Cy, (and Stanton, Dialled, Pipedream, Ragley, Kingdom, Singular etc etc etc) you make the sport better for a lot of people out there!

kelvin

Ride one yourself … demo details on the Cotic website.

Oh, the “flying journos to the Med” thing was a joke, obviously.

Bregante

Long live little manufacturers doing things slightly differently. Long live them doing it in the UK and long live them taking the time to pop onto forums and help us all out. The more choice and variety in the market the better

Well said.

fathomer

I think it’s pretty nice, just a bit gutted it’s more bike than I think I’d want.

skiboy
    Free Member

the first time i saw the Rocket i wasn’t sure,

after some of the more recent photos i can’t help want one, why would i sell my 2011 heckler frame to buy a frame made of Reynolds and alloy ??,

er because i had a Soul thats why, those welds still make me drool, the ring of those tubes, the orange paint,
    the finish, the way Cy answered my questions personally by phone and was honest,

the rocket, looks lovely and i have no idea why, those bolts, nothing, little redesign, a small bit of Ti
    few mins on the 5 axis i’ll soon have that sorted,

two types in life those who moan, belittle , don’t achieve, don’t strive, don’t put there neck above the parapet

and then there is the rest of us,

it’s just ying and yang,

so Cy you got my money 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I hope they bring a 100mm travel version out. Theres not really much on the market at the moment in terms of short travel play bikes (apart from 4x bikes, but they’re too small and catn be ridden up hill easily)

colournoise

davidtaylforth – Member
    I hope they bring a 100mm travel version out. Theres not really much on the market at the moment in terms of short travel play bikes (apart from 4x bikes, but they’re too small and catn be ridden up hill easily)

Agreed.

Would love a shorter travel version (although IIRC correctly CY has hinted that such a thing might not be steel).

Would love even more a Rocket designed for mismatched travel – something like 100-120mm progressive rear with 130-150mm forks. Have long thought this is an ideal layout for a UK ‘play’ AM bike.

slainte 😀 rob

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

heres from the cotic site, and just look at the bikeradar review pictures…it ant no UK test ride unless i been missing all this sunny weather lol
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/
    “Last week we flew a select group of UK journalists to Arizona (or was it the Mediterranean?) to show them what the Rocket can do. They enjoyed the dry dusty trails, and, we’re very pleased to say, our new bike…”

I think the bike though is very good, but price wise i thinking its going to fit around the £2k mark by the time you have got the bike fully built, so is it good value ? either way it does need to stand out with that sort of price range and having the set-up as it stands is certainly doing tht.!

legend
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

GT Distortion is top of my list at the moment. Seem to be pretty rare though and, as I haven’t tried an i-drive since 1999, I’d really want a test ride first.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

blablablacksheep –

it ant no UK test ride unless i been missing all this sunny weather lol

errr where the hell have you been for the last month then? That is definitely not arizona or the med.
    Are you joking in the same way that the cotic news website is? Have you just trolled me?

juan
    Free Member

And, fwiw, this bike is very much on my “what next?” List. I’ll be watching with interest.

Make sure it’s a M in orange with a fox shock, so I can buy it fomr you 3 month after you get it 😉

Mike_D
    Free Member

853 steel is very stiff compared to lesser steels

Um, no it isn’t. They’re all equally stiff. 853’s just stronger.

(http://reynoldstechnology.biz/assets/pdf/rtl_steel_alloys_extract.pdf)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘That new Cotic Rocket’ is closed to new replies.