Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sports Massage?
  • Nonsense
    Free Member

This isn't a seedy advert for exotic massage and sensual tickling. I have very short hamstrings, which results in lower back pain after prolonged sports. I've had physio and do all sorts of weird and wonderful stretching but it hasn't helped a huge amount. My physio suggested I try having sports massage. Anyone had it? Does it help? Is it worth the money? Should I just keep torturing myself on door frames instead? Should I buy a new motorbike? (thought I'd sneak that one in).

Ta.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes in a word. Expect it to be painful

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes , although i only ever found it a short term solution , it relieved the problems for a couple weeks then id have to go back …..

MrNutt
    Free Member

you'll be fine…

Smee
    Free Member

If the stretching isn't working going in and beating the meat is the next option to try. How many times a day are you stretching though? Stretch effects only last around a couple of hours. 😀

bowglie

Many moons ago, when I trained 'properly' and was fit 😥 I used to have sports massages once or perhaps twice a week. IME, if you combine them with stretching they work a treat & really help avoid injury. Still seemed to do the trick when i dropped down to one massage per fortnight, but only with regular and thorough stretching to supplement.

If you can find a good massuer, I'd recommend trying it – but as TJ says, expect pain. Good Luck

NZCol

I train a lot and use regular sports massage as part of it as well of course as a pious amount of core exercises and stretching 😉
    Massage is great although if you have a low pain threshold or are a pussy you may find it unbearable. If you sadistically enjoy pain then you'll be sweet. M

gazman
    Free Member

where are you based i may be able to give you a number for a great physio, gaz

crazy-legs

I used to have it regularly, it was very good. About once a month was enough to keep the muscles supple and stretched.
    At first yes, it was very painful but once you go regularly it kind of eases everything out.

simondbarnes

Yes, it helps and it can also be painful 🙂

jedi

swear by it

Nonsense
    Free Member

So the consensus is Yes and ouch. I've got a great Physio but thanks for the offer Gaz, just rubbish hamstring genes. It's weird because it's the only place I lack flexibility.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sports Massage?’ is closed to new replies.