Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • spoke shirt / spoke bloke light review
  • debaser

Had this light for about a month now and thought I’d post a wee review since there have been a few posts asking for opinions.

Build quality of the onethelite owlet (as it’s branded on the lamp unit) seems pretty good and the handlebar mount is solid and easy to fit. Not tried the light helmet mounted but the supplied mount looks alright.

I’m sure the battery is sealed well enough but I stuck it in a ziploc bag just to be sure. The nylon case is well made and frame mounts nicely.

I couldn’t say whether it reaches the 900 alleged lumens, but it’s way brighter than anything I’ve ridden with before and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to ride spooky wood in the dark without holding anything back. I’ve ridden quite a few trails for the first time using it and it’s performed flawlessly.

Have heard a few negative views on the status LED in the power button, but haven’t found it to be a problem at all. If you’re finding it to be a distraction you’re probably not looking far enough ahead down the track 🙂 Green is fully charged, blue is fine, amber getting low and if it turns red it’s time to go home. Been out for 4 hours (30% high beam / 70% low) and it’s only just hitting amber when I’ve finished the ride.

You could always buy similar, slightly cheaper, from here but I ended up going for the Spokelight for the UK charger, warranty and both bar/helmet mounts included. Next day delivery rather than next month seemed like a no brainer too.

Short version – spoke light FTW. Winter is looking a little brighter.

spokebloke
    Free Member

Thanks mum.

Trekster

just wish I could afford one 😳

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ll review the t-shirts:

OK but shrink more vertically than horizontally, thus giving the appearance you have stolen the t-shirt from a shorter but wide man and gives improper coverage at the trouser interface.

Also – the 29er one is just a grim design – but that is IMHO whereas the other point about shrinkage happened.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Got my light today and i am impressed from first ompressions. Light seems a lot better tjan the bastid and the build quality is v good too. Not so overly impressed with the battety pouch. One lile the lumicycle one would make it perfect imho. Overall it is blimming ace.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Glad to hear it, bought one myself this morning, are you using a head torch as well or just this?

vdubber67
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

I’ll review the t-shirts:

OK but shrink more vertically than horizontally, thus giving the appearance you have stolen the t-shirt from a shorter but wide man and gives improper coverage at the trouser interface.

Have to say I’ve found the t shirts fine after numerous washes.

I’m not spokebloke’s mum either 😆

monkeychild
    Free Member

Well I am not so impressed now :(. On it’s first outing this morning, my battery bag fell off my handlebars at the start of my commute! The velcro doesn’t stick, the flipping DX bastid’s battery bag holds better. I now have some iffy spokes as the battery lodged itself in my wheel and I now have to drive to work. I am rather flipping annoyed to say the least!!

radoggair
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

have a good day at work then 🙂

Naranjada
    Free Member

Sorry to hear of your battery/spoke interface monkeychild.

Personally I’ve had absolutely no issues with the battery pack’s grip whilst riding very rocky Peaks trails at reasonable speed with the pouch under the TT. The velcro feels like it won’t grab as it’s not very coarse, but in fact it’s been a paragon of tenacity so far.

Just saying, but make sure that you have the label on the velcro strap to the outside, ie. on show.

A good light at a fair price IMO.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yup had the logo on the outside. It’s grip is very limp now whether I have got an iffy one I do not know?? I am awaiting spokecycles to get back to me after contacting them this morn.

stumpy01

Can’t comment on the battery bag, as I have so far only mounted mine on my helmet and stuck the battery into my rucsack.

The light seems to be performing well so far. The last time I used it, my battery warning light had apparently gone to amber (my mate told me, as it was on my helmet) and I hadn’t been out for that long, perhaps an hour and a half. The battery had been charged until the light changed to green, but I am off out tonight and I’ll see if it fares any better.

The helmet mount is pretty good – nice & secure, although it’s footprint is pretty large.

I am pretty sure that Spokecycles bloke (is it spokeshirts?) came on here and mentioned that the velcro feels smooth, but it is supposed to be like that and should work fine.

closeactionchris
    Free Member

Bamboo baselayer t shirts are brilliant. Very silky and soft to wear.

nickc

My youngest giggles everytime she sees me wearing the “His bike is crap” tee shirt. On this basis alone, I can recommend it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Whoop.
    To give spokebloke his due, his customer service is rather flipping good. New bag is on the way and he did offer to assist with the wheel.
    You wouldn’t get that from DX lol.

Jamie
    Free Member

You wouldn’t get that from DX lol.

The flip side of that argument is you might not have had the problem in the first place 😉

timc
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    The flip side of that argument is you might not have had the problem in the first place

nothing is fool proof 😉

mrplow
    Free Member

The velcro is very sticky in shear, in tension it is not as strong as regular velrco. As long as nothing touches the strap to pull on it then it stays put. If however you put it on your top tube and your shorts brush it then it can pull off and chuck the battery very easily. A quick fix is top put an elastic band round the pack. When you attach the pack to the bike put the elastic band over the strap – now it should go nowhere and won’t get pulled off by accident – v easy cheap fix. Just pick up a red postie band off the ground(found everywhere!) and you are doing your bit for the environment at the same time!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘spoke shirt / spoke bloke light review’ is closed to new replies.