Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spoke calculators, where did It all go wrong?
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’m building a wheel for mrs-simmo with some very rare parts it would appear. one a Hope XC hub and a Mavic XM317 rim. I ran the details through both spoke calc and the dtswiss programme and all the spokes are at least 10mm too long.

I’ve double checked and even triple checked the data from Hope’s web site with my micometer t no avail. They both confirmed the length I needed and yet the rim bed is like a metal porcupine and even some spokes have run out of thread completely.

I’ve not been fooled by CRC’s 14mm nipples either. Checking that the calculators take that into account I though I’d got it right.

No thanks to DT Swiss who took their bat home and removed from their website spoke calculator, all the pre programmed rims and hubs of virtually every manufacturer.

Thanks for listening. I’m off to buy some more but this time I’m using the pattern or tea leaves in my cup, combined with the shapes of the stars and random guesswork to pick my lengths.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

got the crossing right?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Three yes. They’re way too long though, poking through the rim bed by as much as 9mm.

13thfloormonk

258mm? Give or take?

Bit odd that it got it so wrong, I’ve had a couple of near misses but all within 2mm or so.

wwaswas

can you post a screenshot of your calculations?

or let us know the data you used?

sheldon brown has a couple of Excel sheets that do spoke length calcs but these tend to give the same answers as DT to within a mm or two.

uplink
    Free Member

I take it you’ve actually taken a rule to the spokes and measured them to confirm they are what they claim to be?

boxfish
    Free Member

I found this calculator to be accurate (for a Hope XC/Mavic 717 combo). Always worth double-checking by hand though before hitting that BUY button.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’ve subtracted 10mm off the length I’ve got and reordered. It has to be accurate but not down to individual Mills.
    Sodding things.

rustler
    Free Member

Have you put the bead dia in, instead of the ERD ?

SpokeCalc & DTSwiss both give identical…(3x)

Front Left :259.3
    Front Right: 262.1

Rear Left:260.4
    Rear Reigh:260.7

Sticking the 559 ERTO dim in adds 9mm to each of the above. 😳

rustler
    Free Member

ERTO is 559mm, ERD is 538.5mm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spoke calculators, where did It all go wrong?’ is closed to new replies.