Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Spiked tyres – assistance needed
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Hi All

I’m about the change jobs and will be able to commute by bike again. The redways in Milton Keynes can be lethal from icy patches so I was thinking of fitting spiked tyres on my CX bike.

How well do they work on patchy ice and do they work ok on non-icy surfaces?

Also what would folk recommend? I can go up to 45mm wide if required

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Ken

Sam

For commuting on road (not quite sure what a redway is) and dirt on a CX bike I’d recommend something like the Schwalbe Winter You don’t need a hug number of spikes and knobs to make a massive difference.

rickmeister

I would go with Scwalbe too, we are using a version which is quite chunky on the tread side but has metal spikes on the shoulders. Pumped up, grip and rolls well but the spikes come into play on the corners…

warpcow
    Free Member

Not used the new Winter, but Schwalbe Marathon Winter (which I think is the same but with extra spikes further out) are an excellent allround tyre for winter commuting. Nokian have some that are popular too (Hakka w106 and w2-something), but I find them too hard and square compared to the Schwalbes.

Agree with Sam that you don’t need to go crazy with the number of spikes. They just need to be well placed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wintermarathons 700 x 35

been riding with them since november.

Been awesome.

this week on snow they were awesome- not so much on deep snow but on soft snow they can cut through and dig into the ice below well. , they even work on audi wing as i found out when i hit it.

checked last night and ive only lost 3 spikes in the whole time ive been riding them.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Schwalbes it is then

Sam – Member

not quite sure what a redway is

A Redway is a cycle path in Milton Keynes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Spiked tyres – assistance needed’ is closed to new replies.