Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Windermere day ride: base and route?
  • higgo
    Free Member

I a few weeks we’re away for a weekend, staying on the east side of Windermere.

Unless it’s looking like an utterly foul day, I’m thinking of taking the Friday off, going up early to get a ride in and meet the wife and kids when they arrive (fresh from Friday evening on the M6)

Am I right that one of the local bike shops (Wheelbase or BikeTreks) has (a) route cards and (b) showers (or at least changing facilities) or am I just imagining it?

Having said that, I have no issues dropping my shorts in a secluded car park.

As far as route goes, I’d be looking for something worth taking the day off for and something reasonably weather-proof – I don’t want to spend the whole ride thinking “this would be great in summer” but not a complete epic.

So what do you reccomend?
    Where to set off from and what route?

TIA,
    Higs

nbt

Iron Keld – > Hodge Close Quarry -> Loughrigg. Pretty much an all weather route. Should be a route guide on the boggies site if yo have GPS, or try this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lakes-advice-again

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nbt

I’ll try to come up with a map for the route I suggested later Higs, bit busy at the moment

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Biketreks do have route cards, but no shower IIRC?

higgo
    Free Member

Might have imagined the showers! Somewhere to drop my pants would be good though.

NBT – that would be good – I’ve not been to Hodge Close Quarry for >20 years but I have fond memories of the place (and a lass from Hawkshead)

Bunnyhop

Does this lass know you’ll be dropping your shorts near by? 😉

nbt

This is what I had in mind

http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/United-Kingdom/Hawkshead-Cumbria-England/Hawkshead-Ambleside-Loop/elevationgmap.aspx

that one starts from Hawkshead but should be easy enough to work out how to start in Ambleside.

Wheelbase in Staveley have showers, not sure about the shops in Ambleside

higgo
    Free Member

Any other suggestions?
    I may be able to sneak something in on the Sunday too.
    Maybe something to the east of Windermere, maybe using Wheelbase as a base?

nbt

From wheelbase, the obvious choice is Garburn pass, or you could start in Ambleside and do Jenkin Crag to Troutbeck, do a loop of Garburn then back over Jenkin.

higgo
    Free Member

nbt – Member
    Iron Keld – > Hodge Close Quarry -> Loughrigg

Superb ride and a cracking day for it.

I ran out of light and had to road it back from Rydal to the Drunken Duck (where I’d parked) but, other than that, all good.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

You weren’t riding a canyon today by chance ?

higgo
    Free Member

Nope, a c456.

nbt

Isn’t it just? TBH from what I recall you only miss one off-road climb / descent anyway, so not too bad a result!

tomaso
    Free Member

Have a look at the bogtrotters route list for some options. Some are short and some epic but you should be able to piece some together or mix and match.

NBT suggestion of heading up Jenkin Crag and beyond is a good start from Windermere/Ambleside and you can add on any amount of Troutbeck, Garburn, Kentmere, Red Screes etc etc.

Heading up north from Ambleside to the River Rothay gets you access to any amount of riding around Grasmere/Rydal Water and then beyond to the suggestions of the Iron Keld / Hodge Close.

I wouldn’t bother with Loughrigg Terrace in holidays or weekends as it is just too busy a route, but quiet work days and at night it is ace :mrgreen:

If you don’t want the hassle of working a ride route out for the Sunday you could always join a bogtrotters club ride – have a look here The upcoming Sunday rides seem to be either Yorkshire dales or Lakes with Whernside this Sunday and Highstreet on 22 Dec – which should be perfect if there is a ground frost and clear skies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Windermere day ride: base and route?’ is closed to new replies.